WP34S - Worth The Time and Cost?

I post the question and answer a resounding YES!

I am proud to have two units, and the overall cost for all things I have splurged on this comes out to $88 per unit. This includes two 30b's ($88 including shipping), the proper FTDI USB/Serial adapter from Eric ($25), three overlays from Eric ($15, I got an extra just in case I botched one), flashing cables from Gene ($35, which is because I damaged a pin on the first and needed a replacement AND I sent Gene more than requested for his time and trouble), laser printing a bunch of overlays to tide me over with 2.2 until version 3 came out ($7), and 20 cheap 2032 batteries from TAS ($6, good to have a supply since flashing is hard on them).

I am eminently aware that my per-unit expenditure is higher than it should be (e.g., I ordered too many paper overlays, I really didn't need the extra Rechlin overlay, and if I weren't such a klutz I wouldn't have needed a second cable), but even still I think the WP34s is a bargain. In my impatient "gotta have it" collector days, I paid too much for a working but far from mint 42S that I barely use. My eagerly anticipated 15C LE sits pristine and unused in its lovely box, and, unlike many, I have no desire to acquire another. But the 34s project has engaged me so much that I just can't leave these things alone.

As for the time investment, I initially shied away for fear of it being too technical. I am a Mac user (even though I run XP under Fusion for some things) and I thought the flashing process would be too much hassle. So imagine my joy when, once I got the proper USB adapter and learned by way around MySamba, that flashing succeeded the first time in under half a minute. I have since become familiar with the command-line assembly tools, and it is no trouble to build libraries and move my programs back and forth between calculator and emulator. This is the very I/O ability that I wish the 15C, 42S, and 35S all had, but don't.

I have no qualms about recommending the WP34s as today's preeminent RPN keystroke programmable. I was thinking that it would be great if those of us who have all of the flashing gear could offer assistance to those who don't--for example, if a fellow Canadian sent me a 20b or 30b I would cheerfully flash and return it for the cost of mailing--but I still have to say that in order to fully enjoy the calculator, having one's own paraphernalia really is necessary so one can keep abreast of firmware updates move data and programs between the calculator and the emulator. Writing, compiling, an transferring programs is all the fun for me.

Thoughts?

Edited: 6 Mar 2012, 9:13 p.m. after one or more responses were posted

Quote:
Thoughts?

A resounding THANK YOU!

That what you tell us is what we hoped - but didn't dare to say aloud - when we started that project.

Thanks for the very kind words. I'm glad people are happy with the 34S. Our goal originally was to design and produce a calculator we wanted to use -- that has been achieved for me, the 34S is the calculator I pick up now.

- Pauli

I flashed my first 34s last week and I'm very happy with it. mindfactory.de still has some HP 30bs for €13. Add to that €5 for an overlay, and the 34s is easily the cheapest RPN calculator ever :-).

Edit: Mindfactory also has the HP 20b for €11.18, so technically that would be the cheapest, but from what I heard the 30b is a worthwhile €2 upgrade :-)

Edited: 5 Mar 2012, 5:49 a.m.

I tried to buy a couple of 30b's from mindfactory, but 1) the site is in German and I can't read it; 2) Italy doesn't seem to be listed in the allowed destinations... :(

Cristian

ditto...

Quote:
I was thinking that it would be great if those of us who have all of the flashing gear could offer assistance to those who don't

I would be very happy to flash other people's calculators for free, provided that two-way shipping is paid. The fact is I don't think there are many Italian users who would need it! :)

Cristian

Hi,

For whoever in Montreal or near it, needing assistance flashing his 34s, I will be more than happy to help just for the mailing cost.

Regards,

Miguel

and 3) they charge €30 for shipping outside Germany

... and 4) they appear not to accept credit card payment for foreign orders, so I have concluded they don't want any.

There is one for less than 17€ on Amazon.de. Shipping outside of Germany doubles the cost but it may still be a good deal.

This begs the question why the 20b and 30b are so cheap now (they used to be about 40€ until recently). Might this also be a sign that they will be discontinued soon?

Which FTDI USB/Serial adapter did Eric recommend?

Thanks,

Rick

This one:

FTDI USB/Serial Adapter

Works like a charm.

Les

Thanks Les!

Rick

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [HP Prime]How to get Discrete-Time Fourier Transform uklo 0 1,482 11-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Last Post: uklo
  Date/time formats R. Pienne 4 2,162 11-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  How to set the Date.Time etc on a WP34S Harold A Climer 4 1,862 10-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Last Post: FORTIN Pascal
  is a 50g worth buying with future in mind FORTIN Pascal 20 5,762 10-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  Prime: Exam mode (possible duplicate after funny response first time) Paul Townsend (UK) 1 1,440 10-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Tim Wessman
  Date/time programs for the HP 35s R. Pienne 0 1,067 10-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Last Post: R. Pienne
  How much would making a one-off calculator cost? KoenDV 17 4,766 06-03-2013, 05:35 AM
Last Post: Nick_S
  Nothing like passing the time away... Eddie W. Shore 2 1,359 03-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  New compile-time options for WP-34S Nigel J Dowrick 15 4,585 01-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Stephan
  Date & Time disappear on WP 34S René Franquinet 16 5,117 12-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Walter B