WP34s Parts List

I've just repurposed my first HP30b into a WP34s.(Version 2.2 because those are the overlays I had). It's, by far, the coolest project I've seen in a long time Now I have two others I'm planning to repurpose as well (With version 3). I want to totally populate the PCB of at least one of them, and at least add the clock circuit to the other. I've searched these forums, and I can't seem to find a parts list any where here, but I'm sure I've seen it some where. Can somebody point me in the right direction? If someone knows of a parts kit that can be purchased that would be even better. :).

Quote:
I want to totally populate the PCB of at least one of them, and at least add the clock circuit to the other.

What additional board population options are there beyond the addition of the crystal (which was recently discussed in this thread)?

Edited: 7 Feb 2012, 7:45 a.m. after one or more responses were posted

There is a place to add a JTAG connector and an on board serial interface.

The only additions we support are the clock -- two capacitors and a crystal. Marcus has bought out the serial port but the programming cable works for this just as well.

We don't have commands to directly access the I/O headers that are present and haven't any intention of adding any.

- Pauli

JTAG is useful if you want to join the team for hardware development. My original unit which has the JTAG connector broke (failure of the serial connection) and I have yet to add the connector to my present development unit. So far I could live without, thanks to the emulator as a debugging platform.

The serial port modification will most probably be not very useful as well. It's better to butcher one of the programming cables and add an FTDI 3V USB/serial converter to the RS232 end of things. I just removed all the guts from the small board, except the switches, and wired the FTDI cable ends directly to the other end of the board.

The crystal modification is very useful. You can then install a special image (calc_xtal.bin) which starts the quartz oscillator on startup and lacks the internal logic to support the RC oscillator. I've added the stopwatch instead (which makes the image larger than the default image, of course.)

I was thinking that the serial port would be very useful to drive IR. This could be used for unit to unit data transfer or data transfer to other devices. It could also be used for remote control. With the extra power drain, it would probably be better to replace the batteries with AAAs, or perhaps a mobile phone lithium polymer battery.

Unless, there are plans to add data transfer to the WP34s, then a serial port is of little use to most people, however I just want to tinker around with hardware a bit. I'll keep one HP30b for tinkering, and the others will become WP34s with crystals.

Quote:
We don't have commands to directly access the I/O headers that are present and haven't any intention of adding any.

While I've been following all the 34s activities pretty closely I've been busy with other stuff and haven't actually re-purposed a 30b yet (would you believe!). However adding the ability to read/write bits from/to an i/o port under program control would be take this project to a whole different level, making the calculator into a hand-held controller for all sorts of electronic things. I would love to help out on such a project.

-Katie

Quote:
..adding the ability to read/write bits from/to an i/o port under program control would be take this project to a whole different level, making the calculator into a hand-held controller for all sorts of electronic things.

I'm still waiting on arrival of a 30b. However unless a
manufacturing change has already displaced the obsoleted
die sam7 in favour of the lqfp package, I'm unsure if usable
gpio is accessible. Anyone know for certain if recent
production has transitioned from die to lqfp package, or if
still COB die whether unused gpio is bonded out to the PCB?

Most I0 pins are used by the LCD and keyboard. However, eight of them are brought out to pads on the PCB as well as all four ADC inputs.

I used to sell a kit with all the parts. This is what I included:

• 18 pF 0603 capacitors (quantity 2)
  • 100 ohm 0603 resistor (quantity 1)
  • Zero ohm 0603 resistors (quantity 2)
  • PNP SOT-23 transistor (quantity 1)
  • 32.768 kHz clock crystal (quantity 1)
  • MAX3232 TSSOP level shifter (quantity 1)
  • 16-pin header for JTAG (quantity 1)

Eric

Thanks Eric!

That's just what I was looking for. :^)Maybe we could throw it in the wiki.

Bary, the wp34s does data transfer! The serial interface is supported by the software to transfer registers, state and programs. The communication is possible between the device and the emulator or between devices. But you don't need the level shifters for the latter, a simple cross over cable is sufficient.

Quote:
Most I0 pins are used by the LCD and keyboard. However, eight of them are brought out to pads on the PCB as well as all four ADC inputs.

I'd forgotten all about the 20b developers kit documentation
I'd squirreled away back when, and more importantly the existence
of a schematic. Are the board layouts effectively identical
between the 20b/30b? Except for the clandestine jumper
Marcus had suspected earlier, that is. This could be accomplished
via one of the unused floating gpio lines in the 20b being tied to
GND in the 30b.

Quote:
Thanks Eric!

That's just what I was looking for. :^)Maybe we could throw it in the wiki.

Don't wait for permission, just do it. That's what wikis are for!

If you can already transfer data between calculators, having IR would make it easier (No cables). But the easiest mod to the calculators would be to run the RX and TX to a small headphone jack. The transfer cable would be very simple and cheap.

Do you mean like this?

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Nice work! If I get mine modded, I'll be sure and follow the same convention of RXD tip, TXD ring, GND sleeve. With some care, you could install a photo diode and IR LED on the other side of that screw post. You would have to cut an opening in both the case and the slide cover, that might be kind of tricky.

I think I'll just try something like a TFDU6300. I might get by with no additional parts requirements, though a small buffering cap may be required on VCC2.

Even simple low-level "read byte" (PEEK) or "output byte" (POKE) functions may open a full new I/O world for WP34S; and more if analog input is allowed. Let's hope, "NULL" was once dismissed and now it's part of the game!!

The software is open source, just go ahead!

Would you assist a neophyte in his first steps to add code to the project? I may ask some colleague here at my university to help with the tool chain, etc; but if I eventually start with this I would be starting from absolute zero. I'm interested, but somehow fearfully impressed about starting such an endeavor.

Andrés, you are welcome.

The first step should always be to get the tool chain up and running and do a clean rebuild. Code changes should mainly be done on a PC platform. I'm doing all my testing which isn't device specific on the Windows GUI. The debugger coming with Visual C/C++ Express is quite capable.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP-Prime : Extracting elements from a list in RPN Miguel Toro 0 1,568 11-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Miguel Toro
  [HP-Prime] Picking elements from a List in a program Jean-Michel 3 1,936 11-15-2013, 04:16 AM
Last Post: dg1969
  Hp PRIME - how to send a list to the connectivity Kit giancarlo 1 1,285 11-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Tim Wessman
  How do I decompose a list with the HP Prime. Hal Bitton in Boise 4 1,979 11-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Patrice
  HP-Prime/Xcas: vector/list indexing fhub 6 2,774 10-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Last Post: fhub
  Hp prime list function - indexing into a list Andy B (Australia) 3 1,898 10-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Last Post: cyrille de Brébisson
  HP-97 Printer parts davorin 5 2,041 08-29-2013, 02:10 AM
Last Post: Benoit Maag
  [HP-Prime CAS] list[x,y,z], vector[x, y, z ] ... data type operation? CompSystems 1 1,174 08-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Joe Horn
  HP 50G List of Library numbers already in use? Michael Lopez 2 1,208 08-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Michael Lopez
  [HP -Prime CAS] List, Matrix, Vector as one Array? CompSystems 0 973 07-26-2013, 05:22 PM
Last Post: CompSystems