Installation of Sparcom NavPac on 48GX

Hi Forum members,

it seem that I'm requiring the concentrated knowledge of the forum again. I've recently downloaded the Sparcom Navigation Pack from hpcalc.org. It contains a .bin file that (according to the readme) can be used to install it on a HP 48GX.

I have a 48GX with a 512k RAM card installed and ports 3,4 and 5 completely free. However, I do not know how to handle the bin file and how to install it.

Is there any way to get this pack running in any of my free ports? I've already searched the forum but I could not find anything useful on that problem.

Any advice is greatly apreciated!
Kind regards,
Timo

Quote:
it seem that I'm requiring the concentrated knowledge of the forum again. I've recently downloaded the Sparcom Navigation Pack from hpcalc.org. It contains a .bin file that (according to the readme) can be used to install it on a HP 48GX.

I have a 48GX with a 512k RAM card installed and ports 3,4 and 5 completely free. However, I do not know how to handle the bin file and how to install it.

Is there any way to get this pack running in any of my free ports? I've already searched the forum but I could not find anything useful on that problem.

The .bin file cannot be installed in a normal way, because the .bin file is an image dump of the original card content.

You can make such an image with the CARDUPL program from the CARDUPL package. This package also contain the inverse program CARDDWL, but CARDUPL and CARDDWL were designed to make copies of a complete card of any size. So you have _no_ control to which port in the memory card the image is downloaded.

In your case CARDDWL will _overwrite_ the content of port2!

Sorry, I don't know any other program which can do this. I only remember some programs which can copy data from one memory card to another.

Christoph

Hi Christoph and thanks for that interesting response.

If I understand you right, all I'd have to do is to relocate the libs currently installed in Port 2 and then use the CARDDWL tool (just downloaded the package you mentioned) as per the instructions given in the readme and then the card dump sould end up in Port 2 memory. Is this correct?

The NavPac .bin file has a size of about 131kB which seems to be more than the 128k of port memory. Could that pose any problem during transfer?

I assume, that the Sparcom Nav Pack is an auto-attaching lib so restarting the calc after uploading the card should install the lib.

Thanks again and best regards,
Timo

Timo, 1K is no always 1K. It depends if you count in powers of 10 or powers of 2. 128KB is 128*1024 which are 131072 bytes.

Quote:
If I understand you right, all I'd have to do is to relocate the libs currently installed in Port 2 and then use the CARDDWL tool (just downloaded the package you mentioned) as per the instructions given in the readme and then the card dump sould end up in Port 2 memory. Is this correct?

Yes, it is.

But no tool is perfect, so a unknown bug may destroy your data during the download process with CARDDWL. I recommend to make a backup of your RAM card with the CARDUPL program first.

Quote:
The NavPac .bin file has a size of about 131kB which seems to be more than the 128k of port memory. Could that pose any problem during transfer?

Marcus already gave the correct answer 128KB = 131072 bytes, so no problem.

Quote:
I assume, that the Sparcom Nav Pack is an auto-attaching lib so restarting the calc after uploading the card should install the lib.

The last step of CARDDWL on success is doing a calculator warmstart.

BTW: the CARDUPL package at hpcalc.org is a little bit older than the version at my page http://hp.giesselink.com/emu48.htm. The latest version of CARDDWL can simulate a 32KB ROM card with a 128KB RAM card after setting the RAM card write protection switch.

Christoph

Thanks a lot for the tips Christoph and Marcus!

Christoph that backup you mention would only be a backup of port 2, is that correct? And I guess that backup is not required in case I move the libs in port 2 to port 3, again correct?

I've just downloaded the new version of the package from your site.

Ah, and thanks for clarifying that 128k question. I never really gave these fine differences much thought. Guess that's the effect of having been exposed to near-unlimited memory on the home PC for the last couple of years...

Regards,
Timo

Quote:
Christoph that backup you mention would only be a backup of port 2, is that correct?

No, it isn't. Both programs were developt to handle a complete memory card. In your case CARDUPL would transfer the complete 512KB content to the PC.

Quote:
And I guess that backup is not required in case I move the libs in port 2 to port 3, again correct?

A backup is always a security issue. For the case the file on the PC is larger than the 1st port size, the additional bytes will be loaded at the beginning of the next port (3) and destroy the port information. Or a possible bug of CARDDWL will write one byte more... or there's a bug in the XMODEM download program...

Many things can destroy data, so be sure that you have a copy of the memory card data somewhere else.

Christoph

All right, thanks for all the valuable information, it's much appreciated!

I'll give it a try sometime this week and see how things develop.

Will report on success (or failure) then.

Kind regards,
Timo

I've just finished installing the Sparcom Nav-Package and everything just went like a charm!

Just in case some else tries to install it I will give a short transcript of what I've done:

1. Copy the nav-2.5.1.bin file contained in the download to a directory of your choice.

2. Use the interface program of your choice to transfer the CARDDWL program contained in Christophs CARDUPL package (download link see above) to your HP-48GX.

3. Start the Hyperterminal Application of Windows and define a new connection with the following parameters:

COM-Port: Same you used in your HP interface program

Baud: 9600

Data-Bits: 8

Stop-Bits: 1

Parity: None

Flow Control: None

After accepting the settings the new connection should automatically be established.

4. Select "Transfer->Send File" from the Hyperterminal menu bar. In the following pop-up window select the bin file you want to transfer and select "XModem" as protocoll in the dropdown menu. Once set up, click the "Send"-Button. Hyperterminal will now wait for an XReceiver on the other end of the line to become active.

5. On your HP-48GX put the number of the port where you want to install the Sparcom Nav-Pack (1 or 2) on the stack. Format must be in Hex so if you which to install to port 2 type R-Shift -> # -> 2 -> ENTER. Then start the CARDDWL program be selecting VAR -> CARDD. The download should start immediately. You can observe the status of the download in the Hyperterminal Window. The HP-48GX will display "Downloading Slot...". The complete download should take about 3 minutes.

6. After the download is finished the HP-48GX automatically performes a warmstart and the NAV48 library of the Sparcom Nav-Pac will be attached. Your done!

Please refer also to the readme in the CARDUPL package for further information on the programs.

I've installed the package in Port 2 of my 512k RAM Card. Previously I moved the libs that were stored there (Chem-Lab and Stat48 Pro) to port 3. Also, the Sparcom pack seems to blend in perfectly with SpeedUI 11.11 that I have installed in ports 0 and 1. No problems encountered so far.

Christoph, that is one really fine tool you have created there, I think I will use it as a standard now to back up my RAM-Cards from time to time. Once again, thanks for pointing me at it and for all your valuable tips!

Kind regards,
Timo

Edited: 1 Feb 2012, 4:26 p.m.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sparcom Nav Pacs for HP-48/HP-50G calculators Al 3 1,701 10-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Han
  Voyager battery installation sequence Peter Murphy (Livermore) 11 3,112 08-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Les Koller
  USB installation guide on SVN now Harald 4 1,683 06-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Last Post: BobVA
  WP 34S - Successful installation of infrared port Gerson W. Barbosa 7 2,440 06-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Gerson W. Barbosa
  WP 34S overlay installation Jeff Johnson 4 1,610 05-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Jeroen Van Nieuwenhove
  HP41 battery installation pete gianakopoulos 2 1,266 05-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Luiz C. Vieira (Brazil)
  (Not so) successful crystal installation on my wp 34s Gerson W. Barbosa 2 1,248 02-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Gerson W. Barbosa
  41CL installation on machine with zebra strip David Ramsey 14 4,305 12-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Monte Dalrymple
  Navpac manual anyone? (HP-41. Not HP's Navigation Pac) Geir Isene 0 796 10-13-2011, 04:34 AM
Last Post: Geir Isene
  Suggestions for WP-34s overlay installation BobVA 10 2,615 06-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Last Post: BobVA