HP-65/67 back label

Does anyone know if a HP-65 ALWAYS has this label on the back:

I have seen photo's of a HP-65 on eBay, where the label on the back is the one usually seen on a HP-67, titled "Useful Conversion Factors":

The label appears to be undamaged. Could it be an original HP-65 that has not been tampered with and that still has this Useful Conversion Factors label on the back? (The photo's above are from the museum just to show which label I am talking about, they are not from the HP-65 I have seen.)

Edited: 18 Jan 2012, 4:58 a.m.

The HP65 I purchased in 1975 (and still have) has the 'HP65 label' still intact. I suspect the 'conversion factors' label machines were tampered with.

TomC

Note the "Made in U.S.A." on the bottom line of the HP-65 label and the "Made in Singapore" on the conversion factors label.

If the serial number on the unit in question has an "A" after the first four digits, I would expect a label that says "Made in U.S.A. (the HP-65 label). If the serial number has an "S" after the first four digits, I would expect a label that says "Made in Singapore" (the conversion factors label).

Dale

Quote:
Note the "Made in U.S.A." on the bottom line of the HP-65 label and the "Made in Singapore" on the conversion factors label.

If the serial number on the unit in question has an "A" after the first four digits, I would expect a label that says "Made in U.S.A. (the HP-65 label). If the serial number has an "S" after the first four digits, I would expect a label that says "Made in Singapore" (the conversion factors label).

Dale

The serial number has an S and the label says "Made in Singapore" so that matches. Also, there is no serial number etched between the top two feet as is common for the HP-67 (instead, it is on a label between the bottom two feet, just where it should be), so I must conclude that the bottom is genuine HP-65. The "Useful Conversion Factors" label is very even, no folds or wrinkles of any kind. So if someone replaced the back label they have done an extremely good job. If it has been replaced by a new fake label, then it makes no sense that the wrong label was used. They might as well have put on the "usual" label. It's a mystery.

The Useful Conversion Factors label is the HP67 back label. Every 67 I own or have seen has this label. Also, every 65 I own or have seen has the first label.

Cheers,
John

Of course the label could be one of Ben Ong's excellent reproductions, but I don't know why you would use a 67 label when Ben makes 65 labels as well.

The other option is that the whole case back has been swapped, but that would require access to the two screws under the label. I think the 65 and 67 case backs are the same.

Quote:
Of course the label could be one of Ben Ong's excellent reproductions, but I don't know why you would use a 67 label when Ben makes 65 labels as well.

I seriously doubt it. Ben's labels omit the "Made in ..." at the bottom of the label to avoid fraud.

Quote:
Ben's labels omit the "Made in ..." at the bottom of the label to avoid fraud.

The label does have "MADE IN SINGAPORE" on it and as far as I can tell from this photo, is a genuine HP-67 label. Since there is no serial number etched between the feet, it must be a genuine HP-65 backside. At the moment, the only reasonable explanation I can think of is that the calculator was serviced some years after it was discontinued, and that the service center no longer had any HP-65 back labels. So they put a HP-67 label on it instead.

Hmmmm, the labels I have from Ben all have "Made In..." but I did buy them some years ago, so maybe he has changed them now.

Cheers,
John

Interesting. You must have bought them more than 3 years ago.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP Prime: Converting number to Sci notation and back BruceTTT 1 1,479 11-12-2013, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Phil Wipf
  HP-65 short circuit Ignacio Sánchez 2 1,516 10-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Ignacio Sánchez Reig
  HP-65 Video Tapes - Anyone have a Copy? Bill (Smithville, NJ) 3 1,749 10-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Last Post: Paul Berger (Canada)
  Using your HP-65 as a clock! Don Shepherd 24 6,172 10-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Don Shepherd
  HP-65 to kill... Benoit Maag 11 3,213 08-15-2013, 08:18 PM
Last Post: Jake Schwartz
  For sale: HP 25C and Stat Pac 2 for HP 65 Michae Altmann 1 1,104 04-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Raymond Del Tondo
  Repair my HP 65 motor? Michae Altmann 1 1,099 04-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Last Post: aj04062
  Getting back to the CL Geir Isene 6 2,099 03-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Geir Isene
  Repairing HP 65 Michae Altmann 5 1,991 03-15-2013, 04:13 AM
Last Post: Joel Setton (France)
  Recharging original batteries in HP 45, 65 and 25 Michae Altmann 1 1,214 03-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Last Post: DavidShenk