[WP-34s] alpha entry?

In the manual I read

[alpha] 'HEL'

I only get

[alpha] H

[alpha] E

[alpha] L

that is each character on its own line preceded by a greek alpha. How do I enter the version from the manual?

Thanks!

IIRC you have to press ENTER after starting alpha-mode, i.e.:

[f][alpha][ENTER]

Then you can enter up to 3 characters.

[enter] ends alpha mode on my machine.

I am talking about text prompts, not alpha labels that in fact are entered by pressing [enter] after shift-LBL.

Edited: 15 Oct 2011, 10:01 a.m. after one or more responses were posted

Try [f][alpha][f][alpha] and then enter your text!?

That works, although I have to clean some leftover characters from the previous entry on every new alpha program line. Strange :-(

Quote:
That works, although I have to clean some leftover characters from the previous entry on every new alpha program line. Strange :-(

Every alpha entry is appended to the already existing alpha content, so before each new entry you have to do a CLalpha.

Strangely it is not exactly the previous entry I have to delete before I can enter the next program line, but only the first two characters and not the third. But that is something the programmers may worry about - I don't.

I'll check that again. Maybe I broke something lately. It works fine from the wp34s_asm tool, though.

Edit: I see the bug. Will be fixed...

Edited: 15 Oct 2011, 11:26 a.m.

Great service! :-)

Should be fixed now. It was a pretty old bug. Thank God there were some 2 bytes free in flash for the bugfix. ;-)

Quote:
Should be fixed now. It was a pretty old bug.

What exactly was this bug, Marcus?

I can't remember that I would have seen something as Alexander has described it (although I don't really know what his problem with alpha is/was).

You ended up with two characters from the previous multi character command (alpha or label) already entered when you started the multi alpha command directly after another such command.

Ok thanks, I've not run into this problem so far because I avoid (if possible) using anything that has to do with alpha-mode! ;-)

This alpha-stuff is indeed one of the WP34s things which is (sometimes) still a mystery to me.

BTW, since Pauli has fixed an error with matrix-norm in matrix.wp34s, maybe you could re-compile wp34s-1.dat again if you have some free time? I would do it myself, but since you use this precompiler-format I can't do it (because the pp doesn't work for me).

Time to install Perl on your system. ;-)

I'll fix the libraries soon.

Edit: 'soon' is now. :-)

Edited: 15 Oct 2011, 2:39 p.m.

Quote:
Time to install Perl on your system. ;-)

Well, I have TinyPerl and Neil's asm is working, but unfortunately his pp not. :-(

Thanks for the update!

See the wiki

Entering_and_Displaying_Alpha_Strings

If that's not what you meant, please add it :-)

Does anyone know if it is possible to have catalog characters as one of the 3? E.g., how would I get [alpha]'N=' for instance?

You can't from the keyboard. This is a limitation in the way the tricharacter alpha is implemented :-(

Using the assembler you can.

Pauli

Thanks, 'alpha lock mode' is what I was searching for.

Quote:
Time to install real Perl on your system. ;-)

Just to let everyone else know that this has been previous identified to be the failings of tiny perl, not my scripts.

Additionally, the EXE versions also works fine but Franz refuses to cough up 15MB of disk space. He would rather forgo the benefits of the latest features of the WP 34S rather than fix the underlying issue -- the fault interpreter in tiny perl. This is his choice.

Franz, please tell the whole story if you insist on repeating your comment that my script doesn't not work. Your comment can cause confusion among those that are just getting on board this project. AFAIK, there are no outstanding bugs in either the actual assembler or the preprocessor.

Quote:
Franz, please tell the whole story if you insist on repeating your comment that my script doesn't not work.

I wrote "because the pp doesn't work for me" (just re-read message #13), and as long as this is true I repeat this statement as often as I want, point!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [WP-34S] Unfortunate key damage with update to V3 :( svisvanatha 5 3,127 12-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Les Bell
  WP-34S (Emulator Program Load/Save) Barry Mead 1 1,763 12-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  DIY HP 30b WP 34s serial flash/programming cable Richard Wahl 2 2,455 12-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Barry Mead
  HP Prime: adding an entry to a vector Alberto Candel 12 3,910 12-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Alberto Candel
  Complex Number Entry on Prime Jeff O. 19 5,023 11-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Jeff O.
  WP 34S/43 ?'s Richard Berler 3 1,997 11-10-2013, 02:27 AM
Last Post: Walter B
  My FrankenCulator (wp-34s) FORTIN Pascal 4 2,089 11-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Last Post: FORTIN Pascal
  WP 34S Owner's Handbook Walter B 5 2,585 11-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Harald
  wp 34s overlay and programming. FORTIN Pascal 6 2,837 11-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Nick_S
  m.dy in display of WP-34S Harold A Climer 3 1,900 11-05-2013, 11:28 AM