Facebook page created for Hewlett Packard Calculators

Simply search for "Hewlett Packard Calculators" and the page should come up.

If you already have a facebook account, please consider finding the page and "liking" it or become a fan. The TI page has way too many fans already, so HP needs to be catching up. The content is sparse at the moment, but I expect it to grow.

If you don't have a facebook account, considering signing up for one. There are other benefits beyond the Hewlett Packard Calculator page.

Hopefully, the page will have a good amount of content directed to it by a wide variety of people from a variety of sources. The potential number of people who might FIND this page through exposure of facebook friends who like the page is incredible.

Who knows? Perhaps not only will a student find an answer to how to solve a problem the night before a test from this page, but perhaps some will become real fans of Hewlett Packard Calculators.

Done, Gene. I have Liked it.

Nyah. Facebook creeps me out.

I'll be on there post haste. I have four accounts, three of which I use for various purposes. It's better that way.

Just say no to Facebook apps and tighten up security the best you can. That said, it's not too bad if you're careful. If you're not, it can be a nightmare.

There is also HP Calculator Fan Club.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/11852313084/

On my like list.

FB is OK if you keep control of your friends list and lock down your settings. They have made doing the latter much easier recently. Many of my friends use Facebook a lot, so it's a good way for me to stay in touch with them.

FB is evil.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/09/facebook-cookie-tracks-users-even-when-theyre-logged-out/

With Ghostery, AbBlock, dedicated spam filter etc. I have more than enough to do to keep spy networks out of my digital world. Getting back into it while keeping safety high just to press a silly button would not be reasonable, taking into account an expected positive effect on HP's popularity of around zero percent ;-).

On a second thought, imo HP didn't deserve something like 'Like it' since quite some time.

- unreliable 35s

- 20b with terrible keyboard

- new Voyagers with 10% failure rate

All credits earned in the past have been burned to ashes. Hope they go bancrupt soon and someone catches the calculator division. Just dreaming...

They have already paid the price of handing its leading position to TI.

Doesn't matter. According to Leo, you can't make enough money from selling hardware for the shareholders anyway. Even before him, HP didn't sold competitive harware but a competitive brand. This has to end at some point when HP becomes a synonym for 'problematic but nonetheless expensive hardware'. Leo might have anticipated this and reckoned that repairing what cost cutting beyond any reasonable limit has damaged is no option. He's probably right.

Unfortunately, the old ingenious UI to calculators, be it RPN, RPL/HP Solve, is tied to HP hardware and coding. This must end. It isn't just working anymore since, surprisingly, two people (my guess) coding everything and the cheapest manufacturing plant you can find on earth cannot grant for usable calculators.

Are people still really so naive about the internet as a whole? Do you really not know that many sites do this? At one stage I was receiving emails for products resembling Google searches I had made not too long before, and I hadn't even signed up for any Google related accounts at the time. Generally I don't care who tracks me where, but when I do I make sure my cookies history (and other browsing history for that matter) is cleared.

Tracking cookies are a normal part of the Internet now. (Sometimes "normal" describes behavior or facts that suck.) Tracking cookies are set by sites like doubleclick.net (Google's ad network) when you get shown one of their ads. The ads are served up by doubleclick.net servers, so the next time you load an ad the cookies the first one set get sent back to doubleclick.net. Doubleclick uses this to create a "click trail" that tells them what ads you have looked at. If you subsequently buy something an ad promoted, this information is used to prove to the advertiser that the ad "worked." Thus it is the basis for measuring ad effectiveness. It's also used to serve you ads targeted to your interests as revealed by your click trail.

This is normal, though creepy. However the big deal here was that one of the cookies that Facebook left on your browser after logout contained your user ID. Doubleclick and other ad networks are not supposed to associate your click trail with your actual identity. They don't need to do that in order to figure out your preferences or measure your buying behavior. But your Facebook user ID can absolutely be used to identify you. The Facebook "like" and comment buttons you see everywhere are served from Facebook directly, so whenever you load a page that has one, every FB cookie you have is sent back to the Facebook server, including that one, whether you are logged in or not.

As often happens when Facebook is made aware of an issue, meaning when they are caught such that a problem becomes widely known, they have responded to the problem by issuing a fix that deletes the cookie with your user id when you log out. This is what should have happened in the first place. Indeed, several other cookies associated with your logged in session are deleted when you log out. Facebook claims that the cookie in question was mistakenly left on your machine after logout. They also claim that the behavior the blogger described, where a fake account he created was somehow tied to his real account, could not have been due to this cookie since it was never used that way by Facebook. They ask you to trust them when they say that's they way it was supposed to work.

Facebook can be trusted to try to increase the amount of information you reveal to your friends and to others because that information is valuable. Facebook doesn't sell that information directly to others. They make it possible for others to access it if you let them. Facebook applications can get at a lot of that information, depending on how your privacy settings are configured. Each time you sign up for an application, you get a permission dialog that asks you to allow the app to access this information. If you set your privacy settings to be restrictive, and you avoid using Facebook applications, you can eliminate or at least minimize the information about you that is given to third parties. But events like this one undermine trust in the platform.

Personally, I think Facebook is evil, but I participate anyway. Many of my friends are there. Significant things are shared that I want to know about. It's not just what movies people are watching or what trip they are taking. My friends frequently share what they believe, how they think, how they feel and so forth. This stuff is part of the substance of friendship. I also get access to information my friends are interested in. Links to websites enlighten or annoy me. They can make me laugh or make me angry. I also share what I'm doing, thinking and feeling with them. My friends list is small enough that I can do that comfortably. When Facebook is caught doing something like this, it undermines that comfortable feeling. But I carry on because my friends are there. That fact is important and relevant to my everyday life. It's not that I couldn't stay in touch with some of my friends without Facebook. But I couldn't keep up with all of them. And many of my younger friends use Facebook as a primary means of communicating with me. That's worth the privacy risk, though I often wish it weren't.

Quote:
Are people still really so naive about the internet as a whole?

In general, yes. That is why FB and others can get away with violating your privacy. FB is frequently labeled as one of the largest offenders. I know that they need to make a buck and will continue to push the limits of data mining--and they will get caught.
Quote:
Do you really not know that many sites do this?

Uncountable. But not like the article above describes. Howard did an excellent job of breaking it down.
Quote:
Generally I don't care who tracks me where...

Most don't, but some do. My beef is that they do it in secret as much as possible. E.g The FB iPhone app without even asking scanned my address book and harvested any phone numbers that matched any of my FB friends.
Quote:
...but when I do I make sure my cookies history (and other browsing history for that matter) is cleared.

I try to do the same, however there are cookies that I do not want cleared and having to manually track down offending cookies can be a pain.

For now when I have to use FB (like Howard due to peer and family pressure) I start a new browser in privacy mode.

Done. Already "liked" it. How do you become a "fan" of such page?

Quote:
Personally, I think Facebook is evil ...

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/10/03/1825234/facebook-files-for-a-patent-to-track-its-users-on-other-sites

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/10/02/2036246/privacy-groups-ask-ftc-for-facebook-investigation

Edited: 3 Oct 2011, 4:30 p.m.

More evidence. And after they just got through swearing they didn't have any interest in tracking people.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Example of an App created for Prime, (schedule program from earlier posting). Geoff Quickfall 0 1,006 10-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Last Post: Geoff Quickfall
  wp34s Manual Page Reference Barry Mead 1 1,055 07-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Last Post: Walter B
  EMU71 on a web page! hugh steers 13 3,977 07-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Last Post: Namir
  What happened to the SandMath manual page? Garth Wilson 3 1,596 06-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Last Post: aurelio
  i41CX for iOS with page addressing Sylvain Cote 3 1,404 06-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Ángel Martin
  41CL - Problems with YFNZ in Page 6 Dan Grelinger 6 2,010 01-24-2013, 12:20 AM
Last Post: Monte Dalrymple
  HP 35 Red Dot page Michael Eckstein 6 2,297 11-05-2012, 03:03 AM
Last Post: Michael Eckstein
  Updates to my hillbilly RPN page db (martinez, ca.) 12 3,476 09-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Last Post: Walter B
  aOT--HP Calculator clubs/pages on Facebook Matt Agajanian 0 857 06-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  WP-34s: Project donation page W. Bruce Maguire II 5 1,794 04-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Geoff Quickfall