HP200LX's Calc under Win7

Hi connoisseurs of HP calculators!

There goes the saying that the calculator within the HP200LX was a migration of a HP19Bii to DOS. Anyway, it's graphing capability was quite good. There had been some migrations to M$ Windos arround.

2 Questions: i) is there one that still works on Win7 (or is the Connectivity Pack und DOSbox the prefered way to go)?
ii) Where may I get it?

TIA

Ciao.....Mike

The HP200LX mostly uses a non-standard display mode, so getting the original to work on Windows would be difficult or impossible. I don't recall if the connectivity pack included the calculator, or if it did, whether there were any graphical capabilities (the whole thing may have been entirely text-mode).

I believe some older OmniBooks came with Windows 3.1 and some form of HP Calculator application. You might try tracking that down.

Or just keep a 200LX on your desk. :)

Mike,

The connection pack called CPACK will work in most windows in a DOS Window. CPACK diplays exactly like the HP-200 screen and you can do eveything on it that you will do on a real 200lx, including all the features of the calculator. While it is NOT a windows application and displays as a realativey low quality resolution when compared to today's windows programs, it is very usable.

I have used CPACK to develop more complicated solver programs. Must easier to do than using a HP-19BII or HP-17BII. Once debugged, then I can transfer to the calculator.

As to Windows migrations, HP furnished a couple of Windows programs on their Omnibook computers:

HPCALC - This calcuator had many of the features of the calculator in the 200LX BUT it is missing the L() ad G() commands which are really required for more complex solver programs.

HPPIM - Phone Book and Calendar program that used the same data files as the HP_200LX so you could take the Phone Book from the Calculator and use it with HPPIM on a Windows machine and vice versa.

Just noticed that you mentioned Windows 7. HPPPIM and HPCALC should run in 32 bit Windows 7, but will not run in 64 bit windows 7. There may be a way around this.

You probally will need to run DOSBOX to get the CPACK to to run on a 64 bit windows.

<edit> I just tried CPACK200 on a Windows 7 64 bit and it ran fine in DOSBOX.

Bill

Edited: 23 Sept 2011, 12:19 p.m.

After a long internet search I've finally found this HPPIM package, which also contains HPCALC.EXE:

http://super.hplx.net/anonftp/pub/hppim.zip

Unfortunately I couldn't find CPACK200 anywhere, it's full LX200 emulator would of course be much more interesting.

Does anyone here know if and where this CPACK200 could be downloaded?

Franz

Thanks everybody for his reply. A Emu200LX would be a dream.

I suppose you can not download the CPACK200 as it was a commercial product and HP did not releas it.

Ciao.....Mike

A search of CPACK100.zip should bring you to the 100LX version.

Quote:
A Emu200LX would be a dream.

Well, every dream comes true - someday! ;-)

Finally I've got all files from the CPACK200 and put together a complete HP200LX emulator package.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll upload it ...

(I've to use a free filehoster, because the server of my own website has serious problems again since weeks)

Franz

I'm definitely interested!

Cheers,

-Marwan

Very interested. Thanks!

Gerson.

Interested.

Ok, here you go:

http://www.spaadyshare.net/569fgojaq6cf/HP200LX.zip

I've removed the Laplink files which are only needed for filetransfers between the real 200LX and PCs.

For starting the full 200LX emulator just run the first file HP200LX.BAT in the package, if you only want the integrated calculator then use the file HPCALC.BAT.

Have fun, :-)

Franz

Edited: 29 Sept 2011, 1:54 p.m.

Thank you very much!

When I try to run the HP Calc or the Filer applications, I get "RUNTIME ERROR R6009 - Not enough space for environment".

Any hints?

It works with Vista and DosBox. Thanks again!

Gerson.

Quote:
When I try to run the HP Calc or the Filer applications, I get "RUNTIME ERROR R6009 - Not enough space for environment".

Any hints?

In what OS do you try to run it?

Since all apps are DOS programs, they don't run in Win7, so maybe trying them under DosBox would be an idea.

And try to delete the following 3 files:

APPMGRCP.DAT
SETUP.ENV
CALC.ENV
These are configuration files and have been created under my Win98, so maybe they aren't compatible with your OS.

And another idea:

try to run the emulation with APP200.BAT, this batchfile makes some tests before calling the emulator, so maybe you get an error message from this batchfile which tells a bit more!?

Edited: 29 Sept 2011, 3:40 p.m.

I don't know why I even bothered to run it under XP on Parallels. DOSBox in OSX is fine.

Thank you.

(Must try running it in DOSBox on Android).

Edited: 30 Sept 2011, 11:58 a.m.

Adding a few lines to the batch files did it for me:

SET ALLUSERSPROFILE=
SET APPDATA=
SET CLASSPATH=
SET CommonProgramFiles=
SET include=
SET lib=
SET MSDevDir=
SET Path=.;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
SET PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=
SET PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=
SET PROCESSOR_LEVEL=
SET PROCESSOR_REVISION=

Just get rid of most of the unnecessary environment variables. Just do a SET >clrenv.bat and see all the variables in your environment. Then add SET in front of each line and remove the text after the = sign for the variables which take up space. Some may be necessary for CMD.EXE to find the executables so just try which may be deleted. Start with the long entries first.

Quote:
Ok, here you go:

WOW, already 45 downloads! :-)

I would have never imagined that so many here are interested in this old stuff!

But it seems we calculator lovers are indeed a very 'special kind of people' ... ;-)

Franz

Thank you, Marcus.

Quote:
WOW, already 45 downloads! :-)
Mine one of them. Thank you very much!

Thomas

Wait-wait-wait! Did I miss something? Last week I asked for it and got two answers, now I find only your append even I look in the HP forum, not the link restricted to the last two days. Was there some more discussion?

Ciao.....Mike

Quote:
Wait-wait-wait! Did I miss something? Last week I asked for it and got two answers, now I find only your append even I look in the HP forum, not the link restricted to the last two days. Was there some more discussion?

Hi Mike,

the full thread is in the archive:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/archv020.cgi?read=197421#197421

Here's again the link to my HP200LX emulator package:

And a tip from me:

If you ask here something you shouldn't go away for such a long time! ;-)

Franz

Edited: 4 Oct 2011, 10:28 a.m.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  wp34s calc to calc communication Andrew Nikitin 1 1,141 07-29-2013, 01:57 AM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  Connecting 50g to Win7-PC Victor Koechli 6 2,070 07-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Software49g
  HP200LX Connectivity SW Luiz C. Vieira (Brazil) 6 2,057 11-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Luiz C. Vieira (Brazil)
  Emu48 communicaton on Win7 Matt Swain 5 1,840 03-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Christoph Giesselink
  running hp200lx solver on kindle fire william egan 4 1,803 03-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Bill (Smithville, NJ)
  HP Calculator Communications - USB -> RS232/Serial on Win7/64? Thomas Chrapkiewicz 10 2,929 10-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Gerry Schultz
  OT: HP200LX Mass Storage Gerry Schultz 4 1,427 10-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Gerry Schultz
  HP200LX Connectivity Pack under Windows 7 Mike (Stgt) 6 1,782 03-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Mike (Stgt)
  emu42 on Win7-64bit Mike (Stgt) 2 1,036 01-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Mike (Stgt)
  Where to find HP200LX ROM files ? bloo 8 2,047 05-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany