Large pic of 15c LE and 30th anniversary - you can download these too

15c large on flickr

and

12c 30th

for a closer look.

Edited: 2 Sept 2011, 3:46 p.m.

TOO big. Didn't even know it had opened up until I scrolled down and right. And I have a 22" screen (HP, BTW).

Just choose a different size from the menu above.

Miguel

I would have thought 'e' would have been a better constant to use on the 12C.

Eh, it was tough. Sure, e shows up in continuous compounding, but 99% of business users would not recognize that.

So what to show? 360 perhaps. Just not really a good choice.

So, someone at HP chose PI. Better than 0.7734, imo. :-)

If you place both images on top of each other (or align them exactly the same in two browser tabs and switch the tabs) you can see that the leathery pattern on the sides is exactly the same on both. Is that leathery pattern made in such a way that it has the same pattern on every calculator?

What I mean is, in the top left, top right and bottom left of the calculators especially, the bumps and lower spots, the black and white spots, are the same.

Are you talking about the texturing of the plastic case? They'd almost certainly all be identical, or there would only be a handful of variations. Plastic injection molds are expensive, and that texture gets there by sand blasting the mold used to make the case.

Quote:
Sure, e shows up in continuous compounding,

I just read about it on the book e: The Story of a Number, by Eli Maor:

f CLEARFIN 1 0 0 ENTER EEX 1 0 n / i 1 CHS PV FV   -->  2.718281828 

Sure e would have been very appropriate.

Really nice image.

I discovered that if one wants really big images, just put the calculator on a flat-bed scanner. The depth of field is sufficient for a sharp image. The real trick is getting rid of all the microscopic bits of dust and lint. At 1200 DPI a speck of dust looks like a boulder. No matter how well I clean it I end up tweaking out the debris in photoshop.

Could you post a shot of the back as well?

I hope the yellow and blue function keys are properly aligned when i receive my 15c LE ;-)

hpnut in Malaysia

I second that, the yellow "f" key is misaligned on the photo.

Hello,

If texturing are strictly identical from one part to another, then there is only one cavity in the mold of this part. This is consistent with the fact that only few units are planned to be molded. (When I say "few", I means regarding usual volumes of plastic injection molding, which are commonly hundreds of thousands or even millions, and not only a small batch of 10,000 15C-LE plus the 12C.)
Kind regards.

I don't own any Voyager, so I have to ask: Were/are there usually no clearance within the hinge of the Voyager calculators?

Hi,

It's interesting.

I compared the texture of two hp 15C that I have.

"hp 15C texture comparison "

One is made in 1986, and the other is in 1988.
(serial number 2612Axxxxx and 2813Axxxxx)

The textures are identical but the later one (2813Axxxxx) seems dull.

Lyuka

it is quite possible that there was only ever ONE mould/die that was used to make EVERY original 10-series calculator case. making a die can cost $100,000 so not cheap, yet a single one can be good for making a million or more items - with (as you observe) a slight loss of fine detail over time.

Edited: 3 Sept 2011, 12:32 p.m.

The yellow (f) and blue (g) shift keys of the new 12c+/15c LE hardware platform are somewhat "wobbly" compared to all other keys. This allows them to look a little mis-aligned. My guess is that they are individual keys, not a part of some overall grid that connects and stabilizes all the other keys. I do not intend to dis-assemble a unit to find out. They work fine, feel fine, just a little wobbly as compared to the other keys, and subject to slight mis-alignment. Been this way since the 12c+ came out.

There were probably multiple molds as I doubt HP really wanted to ship pieces of molded plastic from Corvallis to Singapore and Brazil (Maybe someone who worked in HP manufacturing back then knows this). It's entirely possible that each plant only had 1 mold though. I know there were multiple molds for the Pioneers, I've opened a Singapore-made 32sII and a USA 32s, the insides of the cases were marked "MOLDED IN SGP" and "MOLDED IN USA" respectively.

I'm not sure that a single mould could be used over that much years to produce that many parts without having to change it, due to wearness and loss of precision of the dimensions getting out of tolerances.
Even if moulds are made of hardened steel they are subject to wearness and have a limited lifetime.
That being said, only experts like you all could notice such tiny differences.
Kind regards.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP Prime Emulator download John Colvin 2 2,044 12-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Last Post: John Colvin
  [Download] libhpcalcs: a toolkit for communicating with Prime calcs... debrouxl 13 4,343 11-18-2013, 05:22 AM
Last Post: debrouxl
  [Download] PrimeComm: Alternative small utility to upload/download programs to the HP Prime Erwin Ried 6 2,475 11-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Erwin Ried
  HP-42S celebrates its 25th anniversary today!!! Yriarte 7 2,623 10-31-2013, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Massimo Gnerucci (Italy)
  Prime: size display bug when editing large programs BruceH 2 1,309 10-31-2013, 05:30 PM
Last Post: BruceH
  HP Prime: How to use a large array in a program? HP Pioneer 2 1,369 10-27-2013, 03:15 AM
Last Post: steindid
  HP Prime: Operations with Large Numbers Eddie W. Shore 0 937 10-19-2013, 12:24 AM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  OT - A lucky find - Busicom Handy-LE LE-120A Cristian Arezzini 2 1,782 09-26-2013, 04:43 AM
Last Post: Cristian Arezzini
  Low power warning for HP-15C LE and batteries Nick_S 1 1,381 09-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Hans Brueggemann
  HP 15C-LE replacement still available? Borja 16 5,381 08-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada