HHC2011 and wp34s

Hello friends and participants of the upcoming HHC 2011 in San Diego!

I'm making up my mind going there and hold a presentation about our project. I will most probably tell you about my part which I know best but in the meantime I know quite a few things about Walter's and Pauli's work over the years.

There is on obstacle: cost. The flight alone will be in the 800 Euro league. I'm certainly able to cover my expenses on my own but I'd appreciate any donations made on the project's SoureForge pages to buy me a beer or one or more nights in the hotel. I plan for at least a week in San Diego. You will not want to see a sleeping developer on the conference suffering from jet lag, don't you?

Edited: 14 June 2011, 5:01 a.m.

Quote:
I'm making up my mind going there and hold a presentation about our project.

This is great news. Hopefully, we can pitch in and at least pick up a portion of your costs. This project is important enough (IMHO) that HP should be able to have an opportunity to speak to (at least) one of the primary developers in person. The wp34s might not mean much in HP's grand scheme of things, but to me, it's a 21st century version of the PPC ROM - where the community gets to extend a machine (in this case the 20b/30b platform) far beyond its originally-planned scope. In my fantasy, they'd take enough notice to think that they should be doing something like this on their own :-)

Thanks,
Jake

I agree with Jake.

I think it will be humorous to me for some HP attendees to perhaps begin to realize that the WP 34s is in many ways a much more capable scientific calculator than the 35s.

In fact, a comparison document between the two would be something good to put together.

Gene,

Maybe the HHC organizers can ask for some contributions for Marcus' expenses during the registration process. I would be willing to do that.

Can HP also help with some of Marcus' expenses, such as lodging? After all he and his team represent a success story for repurposing the 20b/30b machines, which in turn is a feather in HP's cap (Cyril to be more exact).

Namir

Edited: 14 June 2011, 5:01 p.m.

".....he and his team represent a success story for repurposing the 20b/30b machines....."

Exactly true Namir. When Sam Kim first showed me the the 20b he said that he hoped others would pick up the platform and use it as the basis for controllers, keypads, data entry devices and faceplates. The 34s may be the first such use and would be a great example to show prospective 3rd parties. HP and Cyril should buy Marcus some very good beer.

Well put, especially that HP can show the wp34s as an example for other third parties.

I'm looking forward to "some very good beer". :-)

To be honest, I'm less then one third of the team. My main achievement was bringing what had already been done by Pauli, Walter, and to some extend Hugh, in more than two years before I joined them, to a greater audience in form of the emulator (originally furnished by HP in the SDK) and later to the real hardware. I had earned my living with micro controller programming more then 20 years ago which still proved beneficial for my part of the project. I'll tell you about the story in person. :-)

Marcus,

Would some nice alcohol-free beer do the job? I am just kidding!!! I don't drink alcoholic beverages, but I will be happy to buy you "some very good beer" in San Diego.

Namir

Edited: 15 June 2011, 7:59 a.m.

There are really good alcohol free beverages around so if it suits you better, an alcohol free beer will be fine. I'm still checking if my wife can come with me. Be prepared for a second drink for her. ;-)

Hoping that you will be able to attend, please plan :-) on making at least one presentation on the 34s with your story of how it came to real hardware.

Amazing that back in what... ? January... ? the 34s only seemed to live in a text-based emulator.

The REAL event seems to have been getting a GUI emulator running followed soon after by REAL hardware. Yay.

I started early March this year after helping Meindert with his MBED project.

Okay .. drinks for two German folks coming right up.

As someone who studied chemical engineering, I have to ask what flow rate we are talking about (between 1 and 100)--litters per seconds, gallon per minutes, barrels per day??? Just so I can bring the right credit card ... or my guitar (so I can pay by singing ... I have done well in the past when people paid me to STOP playing and singing ... and was the winner of the TV show "America Totally Lacks Talents").

Namir

Edited: 15 June 2011, 1:18 p.m.

Namir, DON'T bring your guitar or I will be paying my drinks myself. :-O

ok ok ... no guitar!! Just my plastic cards.

BTW, do you happen to live near Darmstadt (spelling?) the university town?

Edited: 15 June 2011, 2:18 p.m.

Quote:
BTW, do you happen to live near Darmstadt (spelling?) the university town?

About 45 minutes of driving if the Autobahn isn't too full. I live north of it (and north of Frankfurt/Main) in the Taunus mountain range.

Quote:
I live north of it (and north of Frankfurt/Main) in the Taunus mountain range.

Marcus, it's a small world. Years ago I spent some time with a family in Brombach.

Prost!

John

I was just in Mainz last week!

How far for you to drive as I only get 24 hours at a time, some of which is at the pub.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Assume you didn't touch down in Mainz ;-) From FRA to my home it's a 20' drive, to Marcus 30', both if the autobahn isn't jammed. So next time drop us a message :-)

Walter

Hi John,

Assume you lived in Brombach im Taunus, being a part of Schmitten :-) There are three more Brombachs in Germany ;-)

Walter

Will do!!!!

your correct, touch down in FRA. Usually arrive around 10 am so I will definetly contact you!

Cheers, Geoff

I made up my mind. :-)

I've booked flights for my wife and me to San Diego from Sep 19 to 28. Now I need to find a nice hotel somewhere downtown.

Quote:
I made up my mind. :-)

Excellent. You will be hailed as a "hero" and can return home with kudos for the entire team. Whether you choose to "drink your kudos" in San Diego, or save some for later is entirely your choice :-)

Jake

Quote:
You will be hailed as a "hero" and can return home with kudos for the entire team.

Sound good. :-)

Someone already offered support for the hotel. It looks like this will be taken care of for free (at least from my side.) Thanks again! Since I'm not alone and we will stay for about a week, we decided not to go to the hotel near the conference but downtown. Just a little bit closer to the fun.

Quote:
Assume you lived in Brombach im Taunus, being a part of Schmitten :-)

Genau! In 1979 war Brombach ein kleines Dorf. Es liegt in der Naehe von Schmitten in Taunuskreis.

John

Hi John,

Quote:
1979 war Brombach ein kleines Dorf. Es liegt in der Nähe von Schmitten in Taunuskreis.

Donnerwetter! You preserved your language skills extremely well over three decades :-) Due to our "Gemeindereform", lots of such small villages like your Brombach became parts of bigger villages nearby. It was advertised as a measure to improve service for the citizens ... :-/

For sure you use that foreign language on a regular basis. Where?

Walter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [WP34S] WP34S firmware on the AT91SAM7L-STK dev kit? jerome ibanes 1 1,176 10-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Paul Dale
  [wp34s] Incomplete Gamma on the wp34s Les Wright 18 4,969 12-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Last Post: Namir
  [wp34s] Romberg Integration on the wp34s Les Wright 2 1,446 12-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Last Post: Les Wright
  Anyone 'tweeting' from HHC2011? Pal G. 20 4,313 09-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Dominic Richens
  HHC2011 News Namir 44 10,483 09-28-2011, 02:30 AM
Last Post: Ángel Martin
  Update from HHC2011? Jim Johnson 0 741 09-26-2011, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Jim Johnson
  Ride or Room Sharing to San Diego for HHC2011 Jim Horn 0 791 09-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Jim Horn
  HHC2011 Registration List Now at 80 Jake Schwartz 1 946 09-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Namir
  HHC2011 Conference Presenters: Please Prepare Your Papers Jake Schwartz 18 4,020 09-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Jake Schwartz
  HP's Dennis Harms to "visit" HHC2011 Jake Schwartz 3 1,322 09-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Pal G.