HP15c for financial duties - I and II

While a significant part of us are engineers, some (like me) have to make their living in other duties - in my case, financial manager in an industrial company.

As I flat-out refuse to "wear" a financial calculator, I equipped both my 42s and 15c with financial formulae - at least the ones I use more. It is not only about the software, but how you use it - and it may be different in your case (For example, in my multinational no IRR calculations beyond 10 years - this limits the number of registers to be used and shortens significatively the program shown in the Advanced Functions Handbook - allowing for more programs or free registers. It is also about grouping new programs with related keyboard functions)

Here are "instalments" I and II:

How I have configured my HP 15c for financial duties (I)

...same, same but (II)

The rest will come as I type them in EXCEL with the nice Luiz HP fonts.

(By the way - am I the only one "betraying" our engineering roots?)

Quote:
(By the way - am I the only one "betraying" our engineering roots?)

I've been going the other way recently. With a math/engineering background, I've been using scientific calculators since acquiring my first HP-25 back in the seventies. Now that I've finally bought my first financial calculator, I've been programming the 30b to do things like Bessel functions and elliptic integrals (and the Towers of Hanoi).

Kiyoshi,
I too have always had/used scientific, and now I'm playing with the 30b which I rather like... and I like Hanoi too! Could you share the Hanoi program you're using? I'm curious to see how you did it! :)

Cristian

Thanks for sharing this, I like especially to equipp my 15C and I love the GSB 7 with the %T, very neat!

Thanks

Roger

If the IRR looks too slow, just wait a little while...pun intended.

I've got the Towers of Hanoi for a bunch of different HP handhelds
here.

Thank you! :)

Clever placement of the %T function, Jose.

As a hobby and for personal curiosity and programming enjoyment, it can be fun to do this sort of thing. But for me, for real-world problems, I don't bother. I just take a machine that does what I need. If I am carrying a laptop anyway, that solves it. Otherwise the 27s does everything. So does the 408/49/50 series. If I am at home, I grab the machine that suits the situation best.

Bill,

I have all of them -and a laptop, of course.

The laptop involves switching it on, open Excel or Mathematica, and find your way. You need a table and both hands. Say 1 min for setting it up - best case (My company does not allow Mac!)

The 48/50 family is excellent, but too big to carry them around. I take it for trips to play with it at the hotel. No way you can memorise the whole list of functions and menus.

The only real alternative for a calculator you can carry everywhere (in my case in the right pocket of my jacket) is the 42s - and that is a little too big). There is some stiff competition there - and even myself have not made up my mind 100%. You change the easy access to fucntions in the 15c for a much more powerful set of functions, and two lines. I take the 42s with me on 25% of the trips I make, but there will be no replacement for it - I cannot afford to harm it.

Even the 17bII+ come with a case that is a little too think to be carried in that pocket (the original one could)

Of all these, the 15c is the one that occupies less real estate - important in an European economy flight.

Quote:
The laptop involves switching it on, open Excel or Mathematica, and find your way. You need a table and both hands. Say 1 min for setting it up ...

I take the 42s with me on 25% of the trips I make, but there will be no replacement for it - I cannot afford to harm it.

I feel the same, it's just too much hassle to start a laptop.

And the 15c is just such a nice toy (I mean tool) to play with that it feels always right to have it with me.

But that's personal preference and "your mileage may vary"

Roger

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The HP Prime saga - Part II Michael de Estrada 21 5,745 11-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  10bii Financial Calculator is on launch sale - 0.99$ only John 4 1,962 11-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Last Post: BShoring
  1984 HP15C rattles Footloose (Illinois) 4 1,856 10-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Last Post: BobVA
  HP15c continued fraction for Ln(Gamma) Tom Grydeland 0 1,082 09-30-2013, 05:48 AM
Last Post: Tom Grydeland
  HP-32S II Expansion Matt Agajanian 14 3,654 07-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  Classpad II fx-CP400 emulator Namir 0 1,050 07-07-2013, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Namir
  HP 32S-II Vertical Curve Program Ron Cardwell 2 1,353 05-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Thomas Klemm
  HP-80 Financial Calculator (1973) BShoring 3 1,646 03-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Last Post: BShoring
  HP15c LE emulator with unlimited number of activations Nick_S 23 5,974 01-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Victor Quiros
  battery test for the HP15c Limited Edition Guido (Canada) 3 1,599 01-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Jeff O.