cheap power for the HP41C (while at desk with cardreader)

Hi there

I want to attach external power to my 41c because I'm using the cardreader mainly at my desk. (I'm looking for options like wallplug_adaptor or clip with D-cells or the like...)

I read in PPC V7N3 (page 23) about attaching an external battery to not go through to many sets of N-cells because of the hungry CR-motor. But I'm missing some details there.
(R.W.Edelen used a modified TV cheater cable for this)

My Question:

Where can I find circuit schematic with the details I need to know to run the calc off external power while at the desk (aim: N-cell saving while running cardreader at desk)

I know that I could bidding on TAS for a recharger and an akku-pack, but I believe there are cheaper ways of using external power!

Up to now I was using the cardreader with a separate batteryclip with fresh N-cells in it. After using the Cardreader I put in the clip with the N-cells that were not anymore powerful enough to drive the CR motor but let me run the calc still some time without the Bat indicator coming on.

Thanks for hints or pointers

Roger

Hi,

As long as you have a USB port handy (or any other stable power source for that matter), there's no need to be messing around with external D-cells, adaptors or anything else.

In fact you don't even need the 41's N-cell battery pack in most cases, (see note on Halfnuts)

Just a standard USB cable (preferable not too long), and an empty ROM module with a good connector.

- Cut the cable to an appropriate length.

- Identify the +ve and -ve wires.

- Solder the Positive wire to the module's BAT (upper right connector pin, front view -see below-)

- Solder the Negative wire to the module's GND (the upper third one, right to letf -see below-)

GND         BAT
--------------------------------------
| - - - - - - |
[ - - - - - - ]
------------------------------------

Module's front view

Hope this helps.

Diego.

NOTE on Halfnuts: Due to its internal circuit design, Halfnut may show the BAT annunciator permanently ON, with the power arrangement described above, if no battery pack is present; and will more likely fail to operate the Card Rader showing the "LOW BAT" message on the display. Normal operation will perform as expected though (even if no battery pack is present)

Thank you very much!

Quote:
I want to attach external power to my 41c because I'm using the cardreader mainly at my desk. (I'm looking for options like wallplug_adaptor or clip with D-cells or the like...)

That's no problem as long as you have the rechargeable batterypack and its AC-adapter. ;-) However, exactly for the purpose you mentioned I use a small connector made by a friend (with much better mechanical skills than mine). It's essentially based on the back of an obsolete battery pack, but it could also be done (even easier) with a standard battery holder. Two wires are soldered to two handmade contacts (that's why the battery holder is much easier to work with), and the cable ends in a usual button-connector the way it is used on 9V-batteries. Now all what's needed is a usual battery holder for 4x AA - or maybe 4x C or D, if you like.

But that size batteries are not needed here: The original batteries in the 82120A pack had 70...80 mAh, so with current AA-size NiMH batteries you get about 30x (yes, thirty times) the capacity of the original pack. I think Sanyo Eneloop NiMH cells are perfect for this application.

Quote:
Where can I find circuit schematic with the details I need to know to run the calc off external power while at the desk

What schematics? All you need to know is the position of plus and minus, and the right voltage of course. The BAT announciator comes on as soon as the voltage has dropped to 4 V, and four fresh alkaline batteries will output something like 6...6,5 Volts. That's your range. So 5 V are fine, e.g. from four Eneloops.

Dieter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP Prime - help desk for novices CR Haeger 1 892 10-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Han
  Cheap hp32sii in bad condition on sale on Taobao Waon Shinyoe (China) 1 1,194 03-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Raymond Del Tondo
  Cheap rare HP35 and HP65 report Waon Shinyoe (China) 4 1,897 02-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Frank Boehm (Germany)
  How to check / repair a HP 82106A module for HP41C calculator ? Eduardo Mingo 13 4,264 01-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Diego Diaz
  A simple question about the HP41C or HP41CV Antoine M. Couëtte 6 2,327 12-16-2012, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Antoine M. Couëtte
  HP41C repair ? Michael Paul 4 1,750 09-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Last Post: db (martinez, ca.)
  A cheap HP41C for sale...........999 EURO only aurelio 4 1,863 06-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Last Post: jerome ibanes
  HP41C: Factorial (kind of) in MCODE Frido Bohn 7 2,383 05-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Frido Bohn
  Picture of HP41C from "The Dream is Alive" Christopher Johnson 0 1,078 04-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Christopher Johnson
  HP desk calculators in a microcontroller David Griffith 3 1,388 03-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Luiz C. Vieira (Brazil)