My New Geeksite (including Bowmar)

A little history of my involvement with 70's calculators and computers.

I just got a Bowmar MX140 like I had in high school. Cleaned it up today but haven't powered it yet. Posted on the above site.

Any other Bowmar collectors here?

Nice collection Claus. Do you actually have that teletype in the picture?

Thanks. No, I only own the stuff listed on the Collections page. The other pictures I found via Google Images. I do still have some paper tape and listings of my BASIC programs from that teletype!

Great website! I really like the stories on each link.

Nicely done!

Quote:

I see Katie's name all over the Google search for Bowmar MX140. Katie, do you still have one?

Quote:
The other pictures I found via Google Images.

Very nice site!!

May I politely recommend against using pictures from Google images? Several of those photos are copyrighted by
http://www.datamath.org/ among others- I'm not sure it's polite to re-host them without the owner's permission.

Others may disagree, but I feel that building a website from Google image searches is like building a house by sealing your neighbor's nails and wood.

Quote:
Katie, do you still have one?

I sure do. It's quite a nice scientific calculator for the time. I especially like the 2-digit raised exponent on the LED display.

Nice site! Do you still have a working ZX81, that was a fun machine to play with.

Edited: 29 Jan 2011, 5:18 p.m.

Quote:
May I politely recommend against using pictures from Google images? Several of those photos are copyrighted by
http://www.datamath.org/ among others- I'm not sure it's polite to re-host them without the owner's permission.

You are right, and I did get Joerg's permission for the TI images. The others, well, not so much. They are placeholders for photos I plan to take of my collection.

Quote:
Nice site! Do you still have a working ZX81, that was a fun machine to play with.

Thanks! The ZX81 PCB on the site is mine. Last time I opened it the keyboard flex cable broke, so it's inop right now. I recently got a Sinclair Cambridge Programmable calculator. As with the ZX81, they cleverly squeezed a lot of functionality into a small package. Perhaps they squeezed too hard, as accuracy does suffer.

And thank you for scanning and posting the Bowmar manual. Mine did not come with one.

Edited: 30 Jan 2011, 8:51 a.m.

I just want to confirm that Claus contacted me BEFORE using my images.

Unfortunately do I find my "blue backgrounded" Datamath Calculator Museum images pretty often on eBay auctions from other sellers - while I use for my own auctions usually a yellow'ish background.

I prefer as a bidder to see on eBay what I really buy - not how nice a well cleaned calculator could look in a calculator Museum ;-))

Regards,
Joerg

Outstanding! The datamath museum photos are outstanding and a good choice for the site. It might make sense to add something to the pages like:

"Photos used with permission of datamath.. "

That way there is no assumptions.

I added a bit on the HP 65.

Quote:

I'm not a Bomar collector, but my first calculator was a Bomar 901B (four-function) purchased new in October 1972 for a 2010 equivalent of about $750. I've still got it.

Quote:
I just got a Bowmar MX140 like I had in high school.

Powered it up today, got good news and bad news. Keyboard and logic work, some LED segments do not. High power inspection revealed crystal growth inside the LED stick. Lot more work ahead to restore this one.

Quote:

I have seven: An MX-25, two MX-50's, two MX-55's, and two MX75's.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Including mathematical symbols in forum postings Nick_S 15 4,540 10-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  New -to me- Calculators, including WP-34s Dan M (Vermont, USA) 4 1,352 09-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Last Post: Dan W