Scan quality of "Manuals on CD/DVD"

I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light
as I haven't received a reply from the curator thus far.

I was wondering what the resolution of the digitized manuals
contained on this DVD may be, specifically for the voyager
1xC series? I have most of the collection in the form of
paper manuals but I keep wanting electronic versions. I
find the existing scans circulating about (for example the
15c owner's manual and advance functions) fall short being
coarse resolution and monochrome. I was toying with scanning
my copies but if the DVD versions have already addressed this,
that option would be far simpler.

Thanks!

I encourage you to scan your own manuals and share then with us. Like they say "You want a job done right, do it yourself". If you feel the quality of the existing scanned documents is lacking, take a leadership role and scan your manuals.

Peace out!

Namir

Edited: 3 Oct 2010, 5:00 p.m.

The DVD Voyager scans are high res, full color, indexed, and searchable. Just get the latest DVD.

Quote:
I encourage you to scan your own manuals and share then with us. Like they say "You want a job done right, do it yourself". If you feel the quality of the existing scanned documents is lacking, take a leadership role and scan your manuals.

Peace out!

Namir

Yea wow, whatever.

Anyway I was referring to the hp15c.org manuals scans which
are barely passable and not exactly archival quality. I'm
not looking for another project but I'd consider doing so if a reasonable alternative doesn't exist.

One logistical issue (unless I'm missing a clue) is HP appears
to still hold a copyright on the manuals. So I'm not sure I'd
want to entertain your proposal above unless I had some sort of
nod from HP which I estimate would take between 1 and 2 forevers
to materialize. I'm all for community effort and sharing burden
but I really don't need love letters from HP lawyers either.

Quote:
The DVD Voyager scans are high res, full color, indexed, and searchable. Just get the latest DVD.

"searchable" as in they have been OCR'ed? Am I missing
something here -- do representative sample pages exist
for the DVD manuals to answer common questions like this?

Yes they are OCR'd.

You are right about the copyright. The museum has a special permission from HP.

I'm impressed with the quality of the OCR on the manuals. It is really nice to be able to search so easily through them.

Quote:
"searchable" as in they have been OCR'ed? Am I missing
something here -- do representative sample pages exist
for the DVD manuals to answer common questions like this?

Honestly, I do have trouble keeping up with my email sometimes but I have answered several emails from you including this one. Since they're not getting through, here's a quote from the scanning details section:

Quote:
Most applications pacs and User's Libraries were scanned at 300 dpi B&W (1 bit). Most Owner's Handbooks were scanned at 300 dpi 1 bit B&W or 200 dpi 4 bit gray scale. The latter gives similar text quality to 300 dpi B&W while also keeping complex color usage readable.

Manuals marked "Color" are generally made at 300 dpi. These scans were mostly made after 2006 to take advantage of today's larger media. Most of these scans were made at the museum with great care. After scanning, most pages were individually rotated, cropped, had major dust specs removed by hand, etc. This post-processing took much longer than the actual scanning. Many manuals were unbound to get the best scans.

The documents are OCR'd for searching but with the image is displayed so that any OCR errors don't damage the document.

By the way, it's not a common question. I don't remember anyone else asking it within the last couple of years at least. This compares to 5 emails in an average day asking how much someone should sell something for on ebay.

Quote:
5 emails in an average day asking how much someone should sell something for on ebay.

Since you're here Dave, how much should ask for a mint Punxsutawney Pennsylvania snow globe? Please note, it does not have a music box built in..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  request M.E. pac for HP-67/97 wallet cover scan Ignacio Sánchez 0 1,046 11-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Last Post: Ignacio Sánchez Reig
  Updated PPC DVD Version 2.10: HP-41 Searchable Program Files and Scannable Barcode Jake Schwartz 3 1,833 09-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Olivier (Wa)
  hp prime manuals giancarlo 0 868 07-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Last Post: giancarlo
  The decline of Soviet calculator quality Michael de Estrada 5 1,842 05-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Thomas Radtke
  USB vs DVD Han 9 2,793 04-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Robert Prosperi
  DM-1x Silver vs. DM-1xCC Aluminum quality? bhtooefr 11 3,250 04-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Last Post: bhtooefr
  Another PPC DVD Update: 30th Year of Datafile + HP Conference Index Jake Schwartz 0 950 03-31-2013, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Jake Schwartz
  Updated PPC DVD Disk w/HHC2012 Materials Jake Schwartz 1 1,247 01-26-2013, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Walter B
  Gong through the older manuals... Eddie W. Shore 0 900 09-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  50G Printed Manuals Les Koller 25 7,336 07-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Software49g