Sad repair job on HP48

This HP48GX was apparently "manufactured" without any card ports...

Some of the more subtle refurbs include a double-molded keyboard that was never used in the Indonesian models with the screen and the back cover of an Indonesian HP48GX.

But seriously... if you are going to sell a refurbished HP48, at least make sure to match up the parts.

at least the parts didn't get thrown away.

the 48 series was real popular in peru's neighbor, bolivia. i taught English in la paz in 98 at the engineering college of the public university and nearly all my students had a 48 of some type. most knew their stuff too. they were downloading programs off the internet and writing their own too. i think they might have had a better grasp of the subject than the average american, getting answers off a canned suite of routines on a PC. they fix everything down there, so this g/gx may have a real complicated origin.

At first, I thought the seller just meant to write: "No Ram Cards [In] Ports". But I see your point, could be a G in a GX case.

Quote:
Some of the more subtle refurbs include a double-molded keyboard that was never used in the Indonesian models with the screen and the back cover of an Indonesian HP48GX.

How can you tell all this from the small photos?

If the photos are small, you generally cannot. However, the molded keys have a very crisp, sharp font. These keys were only installed on the Singapore models (for the GX). Take a look at this page:

http://www.thimet.de/CalcCollection/Calculators/HP-48GX/Contents.htm

Click on the photos for larger views. What you should notice is a clear difference in the fonts in the enlarged views. Now, when you look at the smaller photos, notice the y^x and alpha buttons have much "thicker" labels. Despite the smaller views, the Singapore keyboards still have a crisper font relative to the Indonesia keyboard.

Edited: 25 Sept 2010, 9:43 p.m.

Quote:
If the photos are small, you generally cannot.

I was referring to the auction photos in your OP.

Sorry for the confusion. In my OP, I was referring to other refurbished calculators I had seen in the past (not the calculator in the link). As for this particular calculator, though, its keyboard is likely from Indonesia (based on the alpha and y^x key), but the back cover appears to be from Singapore based on the engraved serial number.

Luiz; I might be remembering this wrong, but didn't you once post a picture of a left-over parts frankencalc you made with a Novus keyboard & screen miscegenating the body of a commedore? If that was you - could you repost that picture to show these folks what a really scary repair looks like.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sad news Eric Smith 7 2,521 02-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  Sad, 5.35 USD lesson from a Forum member Peter Murphy (Livermore) 2 1,427 06-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Last Post: David Hayden
  OT: HP job cuts Ethan Conner 28 6,469 05-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Nick R
  Paint job (not for a car but for my 25C) Matt Agajanian 0 730 04-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  HP48 open/repair guides back online Han 2 1,266 11-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Last Post: hpnut
  sad news db (martinez, ca.) 7 1,764 09-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Last Post: Brian Walsh
  I am so sad... Bruce Bergman 7 2,082 12-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Jake Schwartz
  Sad day for HP calcs at my lab JaSon 17 3,844 09-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Last Post: vq
  Details of HP48 Repair Han 6 1,818 06-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Massimo Gnerucci (Italy)
  Sad day is today... [OT] Tizedes Csaba [Hungary] 4 1,247 06-24-2005, 12:53 AM