HP Solve Issue 19 available - has several articles by museum forum contributors!

[link:http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cache/580500-0-0-225-121.html?dimid=1170660730&dicid=null&jumpid=em_edm/us/jun10/smb/across-psg/newsletter/mrm/mcc|xxxx/loc/handhelds/calc-pdf]HP Solve[/link]

Richard Nelson of PPC fame is now the editor.

Has several articles of interest.

MCode on the HP 41

Calculator restoration

and more. PDF download.

Edited: 1 July 2010, 1:52 p.m.

That magazine is simply great. A nice bunch of interesting articles regarding 'our' nice HP's.

Very nice work indeed!

Hi Gene,

I saw your name in my inbox the other day from some HP email list I'm on that I never read. Had to do with the 30b I think.

Hey, I never gave them permission to spam people with my name! Lol

I did put an article in this HP Solve issue about making key assignments on the HP 30b. Was it related to that?

Downloading the PDF of the HP solve by opening the HP email and clicking through it is VERY important to indicate to HP that these things are USED by the recipients!

I think this will become as close to a reincarnation of PPC as we will ever see again, Datafile present exception of course. ;-)

HP Solve Issue 19 June 2010

Thanks... not sure why I messed it up. Tried to edit it more than once. :-)

Haha, I only saw you because you were in my field of vision in the preview pane. Now I see that Geoff is in there, too, and Jake and Richaard and and and.

And here is a good tidbit from Jake:

"One such idea,
HP Solve #19 Page 44 Page 3 of 5
proposed in 2005 by Tim Wessman, won HP’s annual Design-the-Calculator contest. He suggested
physical keys surrounded by an E-Ink surface where the key labels would appear and remain there (even
if powered off), until changed. More recently, Samsung has developed a mobile phone called the “Alias
2”, with E-Ink on each key so the labels may change depending upon the currently-active application.
(See figure 4.)"

No wonder Tim has a job now!

I wonder where Ben S. is these days? He won that contest as a high school student some years ago--maybe the first year they did it?

Congrats on a very-well written article Peter! And very kind of yours mentioning my contributions to the "modern day" 41 world - which perhaps best aspect is that they're... from today :)

Cheers,
'AM

Quote:
Downloading the PDF of the HP solve by opening the HP email and clicking through it is VERY important to indicate to HP that these things are USED by the recipients!

I think this will become as close to a reincarnation of PPC as we will ever see again, Datafile present exception of course. ;-)

Great issue! The quality has definitely increased since Richard took over. I'm thinking about writing an article myself - what format does he want it in? PDF, DOC, TXT, etc.?

Interesting. I think I've solved the puzzle but don't see how to enter...not that I looked too deeply.

- Pauli

Richard has an HP Solve email address.

hpsolve@hp.com

Simply email your solution to that address.

.doc file I believe.

Send it to hpsolve@hp.com.

On page 69, the link to the San Antonio math teacher does not seem to work (IE7).

Quote:
.doc file I believe.

Send it to hpsolve@hp.com.

Thanks Gene! :)

Hello all,

Gene, Pete and Jake as well as Richard, thanks for the interesting articles. The HP 30b is on the desk as well as the 41CX (again). Nothing like a good magazine to cause one to haul out the calcs from the display case.

As with any essay, thesis or article, typos manage to squeak through. Having read and re-read and had others do the same, somehow the instructions on page 4 of 13 on my restoration article got duplicated in mid stream replete with the appropriate sequential numbers!

Easy fix but to late for the editor to change it; so it you are reading that article, remove instructions 7 through 12 associated with figure 5, smoothing the label. It is obvious when you read the instructions, but what the heck. These are just repeats of the first 6 instructions:

7. Heat the label.
8. Remove the label.
9. Remove the adhesive from the label, citric based adhesive
remover will work.
10. Remove the adhesive from the bottom shell.
11. Place the label between two thick sheets of vinyl, an
ID .holder works well.
12. Place the ID holder and label facing up on a flat surface; a
thick glass pane on a kitchen counter for example

The other articles are fantastic and Richard Nelson has given us something that we all will find informative, historical and interesting.

Cheers, Geoff

Edited: 2 July 2010, 8:02 p.m.

Thanks.

- Pauli

Hi Peter,

Great contribution indeed.

Also want to say thanks for the mention. I feel really honoured.

Warm regards from Spain.

Diego.

Hi Geoff,

Sure I'm not alone in saying that I'm hanging on the edge of my seat to see your book published... ;-)

Best wishes.

Diego.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WTF? W-here T-o F-ind the original hpmuseum forum? Alexander Oestert 40 13,600 12-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Matthias Wehrli
  Solver issue with HP 17BII - different from 19BII Jeff Kearns 13 4,472 11-28-2013, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Don Shepherd
  A Reminder of the Forum's Terms of Use Mark Hardman 20 5,029 11-27-2013, 03:14 AM
Last Post: Walter B
  How to add image to HP Forum Posting Harold A Climer 2 1,471 11-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Han
  Another minor Prime hexagesimal issue Jonathan Cameron 1 1,328 11-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  XCas / Prime "solve" question Nigel J Dowrick 4 1,946 11-08-2013, 04:01 AM
Last Post: Nigel J Dowrick
  Using the Prime to solve for eigenvalues Michael de Estrada 28 8,333 10-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Last Post: Tarcisi C
  HP Prime Define: Use with solve, etc. Helge Gabert 0 985 10-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Last Post: Helge Gabert
  HP Prime Solver Variables Issue Anibal Morones Ruelas 8 2,988 10-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Harold A Climer
  HP 34s solve f'(x)=0 Richard Berler 8 2,524 10-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Dieter