Ex HP Calculator PR Guy on Corporate Leaks and Apple

Article Here

Very interesting; thanks for posting the link.

So Apple the "cool" computer company is violating the First Amendment rights of a tech blogger using its own State endorsed police force. And the funny thing? The left wing nutcases with their hemp bags, Mac laptops, and Star Bucks coffee will say its justified cause their "freedoms" were not bothered.

Yah sorry to upset anyone but I had to say it.

Dimitri

...but the item was *sold* without proper title and that makes it a bit different...under California law...

Quote:
...but the item was *sold* without proper title and that makes it a bit different...under California law...

It was lost into public domain, Apple was called about it and claimed it was not theirs. Therefor it became property of the founder, and the founder did his legal requirement of reporting it found with AppleCare. Corporate Apple asked for it back, they were told they can have it back. Then and only then was the guy arrested. Gizmo is going after this in court now as it is well documented on their side that they did not break any laws.

Dimitri

Well, that is interesting. In that case, Poison Apple it is!

Read this for a different take.

And the response.

Quote:
Bruce, thanks.
Here's Jason Chen, who has the iPhone. And here's his address. You two should coordinate a time.

[Blah Blah Blah Address]

Happy to have you pick this thing up. Was burning a hole in our pockets. Just so you know, we didn't know this was stolen [as they might have claimed. meaning, real and truly from Apple. It was found, and to be of unproven origin] when we bought it. Now that we definitely know it's not some knockoff, and it really is Apple's, I'm happy to see it returned to its rightful owner.

P.S. I hope you take it easy on the kid who lost it. I don't think he loves anything more than Apple.

And yet police were still called in by Apple.

Whether or not its defined as a stolen good after the people at AppleCare said its not a iPhone to the person who found it counts as reporting it is a court issue but it seems to me he did try to get it back to its owner. Better then giving it to the bartender or bar maid that is for sure.

But I am pretty sure it will go to Gizmo being in the right as they already showed before the raid they do not intend to keep the lost property.

Dimitri

I've been an Apple fan since the dawn of OS X. I like the products, and I used to like the aura. Over the course of my fandom, though, I've seen the rebel outsider turn into the establishment. Not that the products aren't great, but their carefully-crafted marketing image doesn't work on me anymore.

In the case of this nabbed prototype, I'm not sure where the pieces fall legally, but I applaud the finder (who knew what he'd found) and Gawker Media (despite knowingly paying for properly they knew had a very interested owner somewhere) for making the device public. It's become a big game to "out" Apple's tightly-held secrets, and this time the outsiders (the *real* outsiders) prevailed. When Steve shows the new device, with the usual Keynote presentation, everyone will know the story and the details, and there will be a little uneasiness in the room.

Oh, and this all comes on top of Apple's "iAd" product, where advertisers pay them big money to embed ads inside their applications. That's the end of any semblance of Apple's radical, crunchy affectation. Now they're just like all the other big players.

But anyway, I'm looking forward to the arrival of my HP-16C tomorrow. I'll have to put the iPad aside for a while.

Edited: 5 May 2010, 7:52 p.m.

Quote:
And yet police were still called in by Apple.

I don't think the police raid was about a stolen phone, whether returned or not. After all, the REACT team participated in the raid. It was about suspected computer crime.

Hello from Puerto Rico
That is why I embrace technologies that allow people to have the best tools to their needs and not to be controlled by any business PR leader. As a fan of HP calculator myself, I use my HP-50g nearly daily, because as I have an engineer oriented mind that made love the freedom and power that comes from that platform. I admired HP during the 80s to be a company that put quality and seriousness of purpose above monetary gain.
I have an iPhone and a Mac OS X computer. I have each of those because each one have it's merits. But mainly as something to be experienced and comprehended to be aware on the hardware industry is going but too restrictive to be of my liking. Those worked admirably and are masterpieces of design by a mentality that puts money to their pockets first and customer's second. Last year I got on the Ubuntu Linux bandwagon because it brings that freedom, stability and power that I love from my HP-50g with minimal investment on my behalf. The reason is that Ubuntu is becoming fairy easy to install and is based on the best known legacy operating system like UNIX that brought all of these like the Internet, Networking, Apple and Open Source.

Edited: 5 May 2010, 9:24 p.m.

Quote:
I don't think the police raid was about a stolen phone, whether returned or not. After all, the REACT team participated in the raid. It was about suspected computer crime.

Suspected computer crimes? The REACT team raided his home for the stolen phone as the official reason. Apple is on the teams steering committee. This is not the first time the REACT team was used to the benefit of its steering industrial committee. Unless of course the REACT team suddenly becomes responsible for finding every stolen sell phone in California. Perhaps then Apple really didn't have anything to do with it. But REACT's track record shows otherwise.

I just think this is over the top. Apple got its phone back after a employee lost it in a bar without Gizmo asking for a reward and police were still called in. If you or I lost our HP-41 and someone had purchased it and then when we said it was ours gave us it back. Do you think the Police would have done anything?

Dimitri

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greetings from an old new guy Michael Craig 6 1,983 06-25-2012, 07:07 AM
Last Post: aurelio
  Who was that guy (or gal)? Matt Agajanian 5 1,723 05-23-2012, 01:08 AM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  OT: Commodore PR-100 manual Bart (UK) 4 1,679 03-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Paul Berger (Canada)
  Apple to Focus on Printers* Howard Owen 6 1,935 08-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Frank Boehm (Germany)
  Apple advertises HP12C emulator on iPod Mike (Stgt) 1 911 05-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Keith Midson
  Pi Day Rematch: Apple II vs. HP-41C Egan Ford 2 1,148 03-15-2011, 02:30 AM
Last Post: Egan Ford
  Commodore PR 100 Nigel Bamber 1 917 05-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Thomas Radtke
  OT:iDisk For the Apple II Gerry Schultz 1 829 04-26-2010, 01:46 PM
  OT: Apple iPad Don Shepherd 36 7,811 02-03-2010, 11:14 AM
  Byron Fosters 42s for iPhone version 2 submitted to Apple App Store Les Wright 14 3,714 06-18-2009, 11:54 PM