OT: Zero feedbackers

I've got a HP calc for sale on you-know-where. Haven't sold one in a long time.

I've had two zero feedback bidders so far, both of which I have canceled because I think they are just scammers trying to up the market price. I know it's to my advantage as a seller, but I don't like it as it ruins it for everyone. And if they are the only bidder they almost certainly won't go through and buy it.

I sell lots of other stuff and never get zero bidders. So is this common when selling HP calcs?

Dave.

Hi Dave

Why not try the classified here?
Cheers!
Johnny

Hi Dave,

Two possibilities I can think of:
1) Some people (like myself) are put off by shipping costs from far away continents (although I seem to be in the minority if I go by what I read on the museum forum).
2) Sometimes several potential bidders wait to snipe in the last few seconds.(I was watching a Nixie tube calculator the other day and it went from 99p to £32 in the last 5 seconds).

It can be very unpredictable. As a previous reply said, put a link to it in the museum classifieds section.

OTOH we all had to start as zero feedbackers I suppose, and calculator collecting, particularly HP, seems to be a growing fad. You are right though that we do live in a world with scammers and caution should be applied.

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Two possibilities I can think of:
1) Some people (like myself) are put off by shipping costs from far away continents (although I seem to be in the minority if I go by what I read on the museum forum).
2) Sometimes several potential bidders wait to snipe in the last few seconds.(I was watching a Nixie tube calculator the other day and it went from 99p to £32 in the last 5 seconds).

It can be very unpredictable. As a previous reply said, put a link to it in the museum classifieds section.

OTOH we all had to start as zero feedbackers I suppose, and calculator collecting, particularly HP, seems to be a growing fad. You are right though that we do live in a world with scammers and caution should be applied.

I have no concerns about the number of bidders, I know the calculator will sell, I know all about sniping and how the system works. It's just that I found it interesting that I've had two zero feedback bidders on a HP calculator, and never on anything else (and I've sold hundreds of items). Something is definitely suss. But not terribly surprising I guess given all the things I hear about various HP dealers on the auction site.

Dave.

Edited: 9 Apr 2010, 5:23 a.m.

Quote:
But not terribly surprising I guess given all the things I hear about various HP dealers on the auction site.

Do you suppose that other HP calc sellers try to keep the prices high with a second (dummy) eBay account?

I think there are some categories of items (e.g., vintage calcs & computers, ...) for which eBay is the easiest way to get one. Perhaps this might be a reason why there are more zero-feedbackers on such items.

Quote:

I think there are some categories of items (e.g., vintage calcs & computers, ...) for which eBay is the easiest way to get one. Perhaps this might be a reason why there are more zero-feedbackers on such items.

Yup, that was how I discovered eBay - decided I 'needed' a hp-41 to replace a Casio and remembering the mystique that surrounded hps (very expensive and RPN) when I was a kid at school in the 70s I made my first of many hp calculator purchases (35, 45, 67, 21, 25C, 34C, 41C, CV and CX, 10C, 12C, 15C, 16C, 48S and 48G and 71B). Thinking about it, I would have been quite a bit richer if my original zero-feedback bid had been cancelled!!

Have since found eBay to also be a good source of Innocenti Mini Cooper (Italian built version of the sixties British Mini Cooper) spares.

Quote:
Do you suppose that other HP calc sellers try to keep the prices high with a second (dummy) eBay account?

That is exactly what I suppose.

Quote:

Perhaps. But I have contacted these people and they do not reply. Hence they are almost certainly fake accounts.

Dave.

Hi,

over the last year or so, I also had some bidders
with zero to below-ten feedback points.

I also had slight doubts whether they were serious buyers and would actually pay.

However each of them was a serious buyer so far.

A few years ago, there were some unreliable bidders who did cost me time and nerves.

Then I decided to activate some restrictions for bidders, and actually no fake bidder showed up ever since:-)

Raymond

I had similar experiences/doubts. But when looking back I conclude that shipping is the biggest problem (especially when you ship worldwide). I had much more shipping related problems than problems with non-paying customers.

People on eBay are just a mirror image of the society; there are good guys and bad guys, but the bad guys are only a minor fraction, as in real life.

But back to DaveJ's suspicion: is it really that easy to have a normal account for selling and a second account to play whatever games you want to play?

Hi Dave,

Ummmmm, Zero Feedback Bidders.

I seem to remember that I was once a Zero Feed Back Bidder as we all were at one time.

Question: How does a person get feedback if they are never allowed to bid? Chicken and the Egg.

I would suggest you contact them, see if they will give you references, such as web sites they mey have posted at, or even a phone number. When I sell on the HPMuseum web site, I always check the person out who is wanting to purchase what I have offered. I also check their shipping address to see if it matches their name (not always possible I know).

Of couse, the auction site is a different animal. I'd be wary if you only receive Zero Feedback bidders - any HP calculator should also receive some valid bidders with feedback. I miss the days where the bidders weren't hidden and I could check to see what else they had bid on.

Bill

I did contact the bidders, they did not reply, therefore they are almost certainly fake accounts.

Dave.