Is peace of mind worth $150 ?

We've all heard the horror stories of Woodstocks being destroyed by the sketchy charging system. While it's questionable whether charging a good battery inside the calculator with the calculator turned off will result in eventual damage or failure, it is nerve-racking to contemplate ruining one of my good units given the near impossibility of replacement. As I've posted before, it seems to me that the Woodstock line is rapidly becoming the rarest of vintage calculators, since most have been ruined through neglect and misuse. I don't like to use disposable 1.5V AA alkaline batteries, due to the higher voltage, and only use 1.2V AA flat top NiCads. Since I weld a jumper between the two battery cells at the spring end to ensure good electrical continuity, charging the individual cells in an external charger is not an option. So I finally bit the bullet, and paid nearly $150 for a Woodstock external charger (powerpack), so that from now on a charger will never be attached to any of my Woodstocks. Am I being overly cautious and did I spend too much for my peace of mind?

$150 is not much to pay for peace of mind. I would like to own a Woodstock also, as I have none.

I payed a hefty sum for a NOS HP-41CX to be used as a backup for the old (very nice condition) one I hardly dared to use. Then I could start to use it without worrying.

However, I soon started to think, what happens if it breaks? Then I only have the backup and would be afraid to use it. So I bit the bullet and bought a backup for the backup! Also a NOS HP-41CX for the same hefty sum.

Now I am not afraid that I will run out of HP-41 for the rest of my life. That is peace of mind for me and it was worth the hefty price tag (times two) that I paid!

Naaaa, I don't think you have spent too much, since I was the one bidding against you, I was ready to spend the same money... Congratulations ! BTW, I was just doing it because of the box, since I already have a working external charger for the woodstock... would you sell me just the box ? Take care Alberto

Alberto,

Check your email.

Regards,
Michael

I too have a triad of CX's... but more and more I use the virtual rendition (V41) and recently got myself an iPodTouch just because of i41CX - so the real machines are even better preserved ;)

Michael,

I ruined one HP-25 by charging in the unit. Then I spent about $150 to replace it with a HP-25C. With it I only use AA batteries, but would love to have an external charger for it. I gave the broken HP-25 to Randy so he could use the parts to save other woodstock. I almost wish I had hung onto it and turned it into an external charger.

My philosophy is "as long as the wife is okay" then I didn't spent too much ;)

Bill

Actually, I've been using a duplicate HP-22 as a battery charger for my other Woodstocks, so at worst I was going to ruin that one. Still, I'd rather not ruin anything. All my Woodstocks are in perfect working condition, as well as excellent cosmetically, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I fully agree with you Michael... that's not a big sum of money to keep peace of mind... well done!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  is a 50g worth buying with future in mind FORTIN Pascal 20 5,759 10-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  Anyone got a 39gII and doesn't mind memory loss? bhtooefr 4 1,709 05-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Last Post: bhtooefr
  HP48 Cogo Card - Worth Anything? JamesT 4 1,533 08-21-2012, 02:46 AM
Last Post: Reth
  WP34S - Worth The Time and Cost? Les Wright 13 3,593 03-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Richard Wagoner
  [OT] Pens for SHARP CE-150 printer/cassette interface Miguel Toro 4 1,728 01-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Klaus
  worth it or not worth it ? Alberto Fenini 4 1,366 03-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  non-scientific LED calculator worth more than HP35 red dot? Bart (UK) 6 2,111 02-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  Is an HP-10 worth $700? Michael de Estrada 16 3,693 10-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Last Post: juan demin
  Casio - nice on-line calc, worth looking at Mark Edmonds 1 870 06-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Mark Edmonds
  It is worth this calculator more than $2500? Gonzalo Fernandez (Spain) 25 5,254 04-23-2009, 05:34 AM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany