Latest crazy auction - HP-70 for $660

HP-70

Someone just paid $660 for an HP-70 with AC Adapter, but no box, manual or soft case. Also, the seller refers to it as "Mint", however, photos that he sent me show corrosion in the battery compartment and multiple scratches/grooves in the back label. I realize that this model is extremely rare, however, I can't justify paying this much for something in this condition. A genuine Red Dot, maybe......

I was too busy this morning and didn't bid on this in time. Probably best-- that's a lot of money for me right now. Still, it's a major "hole" in my HP collection. I guess if it were ever "complete", I'd have something less to strive for.

The problem I have is that it is not truly complete, because I would still lack unique accessories such as the manual, which I've never seen for sale. My concept of collecting, especially with vintage HPs, is that the whole package set is just as important as the bare calculator. What good is an HP-65 without its hard case, leather soft case, spiral bound manual and QR guide, and Standard Pac. About the only part that can be sourced separately is the AC adapter. Also, patience is a virtue. After watching incomplete and imperfect HP-92's sell for $500 for years, I recently picked up a complete set with even the box in excellent condition for $303. Maybe that will never happen with the HP-70, but like you said if my collection were complete, then I'd have nothing to do anymore.

Someone bought my HP Xpander for AUD$750 (about US$660) yesterday. Cheers, Keith

Well, I can see that price as it is ultra rare, since it was never released, whereas the HP-70 did see several years of production. The Xpander is more in the class of the HP-95C, and I would definitely pay that much for it.

Money rules the world ...

If you say you wouldn't pay that much that's your decision. But why do you say this auction is crazy? This implies that the winner is crazy, too. But I think it is the bidder's decision how much he wants to pay. These calcs are collectibles, and for collectibles the price range is always large. You cannot see into the bidder's mind; perhaps the HP-70 was his first calculator, and after 30 years he wants to have one again to fresh up all the good memories.

Well, we all are a little crazy because we are so addicted to these old calculators. At least, that's my wife's point of view ;-)

Cheers,
Juergen

Quote:
At least, that's my wife's point of view ;-)

In this case, at least, she is right.

I agree we must be crazy, but it's fun for whatever reason ;)

I just had a look at the HP70 lising - it was an early production of the HP70, so that adds to the collectability for some people. Also the 70 is seemingly hard to get hold of (I don't have one, but would like one one day!).

I have to wonder if the item was listed internationally on ebay (ie. they put a postage price for international shipping) then it might have attracted more buyers and sold for even more. Even though the seller said that they would post internationally, it didn't come up in searches from other ebay sites (Australia, UK, etc), so wasn't found.
Prices are a fickle thing - depends on who 'really' wants something at any one time, and how much they are prepared to pay for it. I have paid 'silly' prices for something that I 'had' to have, but I have a collection that means something to me and that's what matters. Sure it's similar for others. Cheers, Keith (and my wife thinks i'm mad too).

Interesting how you mention your wife.... that's probably the main reason I didn't put in an earlier bid on this one.... "Oh, Sweetie? You don't mind that I spent nearly $1000 on an old calculator, do you?"

Quote:
"Oh, Sweetie? You don't mind that I spent nearly $1000 on an old calculator, do you?"

My wife and I have made a point of keeping a separate pool of money for each of us to spend as we please. My wife is into Indian art and I just spent my latest kilobuck on camera lenses. Anybody else here a victim of LBA (lens buying addiction; as, I guess, contrasted to CBA - calculator buying addiction). Mike - you could have a field day with this. Are these officially recognized afflictions!?!

Well, spending 1000$ for something that keeps (or even raises) its value is like saving the money on your bank account. Hope this helps in discussions with your wife ;-)

The fine print: there are two problems. First, we are not sure if our calcs are really of the same value in ten or twenty years. Second, if we have a nice one it would break our heart to sell it. But as I said, this is the fine print, you can ommit it in discussions with your wife!

Cheers,
Juergen

LOL! I agree with both of you! And I do think, after discussing it on the Forum, that these machines will hold their value or increase. Now: is it an addiction? I've been known to call it that. I prefer "hobby" or "passion". Or maybe it's just that some addictions are healthier than others. I suppose if it were to start to interfere with my marriage, work, etc., I'd have to call it a disorder. So far I think my wife has been very understanding and supportive.

Quote:
I suppose if it were to start to interfere with my marriage, work, etc.

Or get you into debt. It's fine to pay $1000 if you can afford it, but I can't. It's one of the reasons I don't have any HP LED calcs. I've decided to start saving a monthly amount, so maybe in a few month's time...

But as they say here in the UK with shares investments: "the price can go down as well as up"...
I might end up chasing an ever increasing goal.

Quote:
... we are not sure if our calcs are really of the same value in ten or twenty years.

I predict that truly mint rare or important models will hold their value as collectibles - but everything else will diminish after the generation that used these when they were new is gone.

Quote:
I predict that truly mint rare or important models will hold their value as collectibles

I think that this is a crucial point. Models that represent milestones, such as the HP-35 Red Dot, HP-65 and HP-25C will always be valuable. Models like the HP-70 can only be valuable if they are mint and complete, which is not the case with the HP-70 that is the topic of this thread. Even through the HP-70 is a rarity, I don't see it's value being very high when it's condition is only average and it's missing crucial accessories such as the Owner's Manual. Having said this, I do not collect calculators as an investment or with the intention of selling them at a future date for a profit.

For many it is not just milestones that make a collectable, it also the amount in existance. The fewer there are, the more people are prepared to pay for not-so-good items. The items must have some fame. Older HP calculators in general have fame. Of course this is more important for those that collect for investment or want to have at least one of each of this famous brand.

Quote:
I do not collect calculators as an investment or with the intention of selling them at a future date for a profit.

I feel the same way. I'd like some HP LED calcs because I like them. I would not buy it for the thought of making money, similarly I would not buy a piece of art I find ugly just because it would be a good investment, it must be something I like to look at. I like to look at HP calculators (wow, look at that beauty - [hmmm that sounds geeky :)] ) - and use them. If I buy an HP classic I'd like to play with it once in a while. Not just take it out the cabinet, put the battery in, type "3 enter 3 *" then remove the battery, wipe off the fingerprints and put it away. I would treat it with care, but still occasionally use it for an actual calculation requiring a scientific calulator. I like to experience it, not just look at it.

Michael,

my previous posts were a little provocative, but don't get me wrong; that's my nature. We all share the same passion, and even if we don't agree on everything, we all know that HP produced some really impressive milestones which will keep their value (at least their value as technical innovation).

But what I've learned in my time as collector is that the value of a certain model heavily depends on the individual experience, i.e., the first HP calculator you got in your hands has always a special value. My HP career started with a 41, and the Series 41 calculators are still my favorites. Probably, the reason is that the first HP calculator taught you an important lesson: there is an easier and more efficient way to solve computational problems!

The value of an item is an individual parameter. It depends on individual experience and on the money you have in your pockets.

Finally, one of my favorite citations: "The quality remains long after the price has been forgotten!" (Frederick Henry Royce, co-founder of Rolls Royce)

Best Regards,
Juergen

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP67 eBay auction Cristian Arezzini 3 2,066 12-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Raymond Del Tondo
  HP-70 simulator updated Willy R. Kunz 3 1,604 11-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Last Post: BShoring
  HP-70 Simulation for iPhone Willy R. Kunz 2 1,469 11-17-2013, 07:12 AM
Last Post: Namir
  latest prime software release? Geoff Quickfall 3 1,612 10-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Tim Wessman
  So, latest 41CL / Library 4 config is... Gene Wright 4 1,958 09-22-2013, 02:59 AM
Last Post: Ángel Martin
  WP-34S on German Auction Site Joerg Woerner 3 1,775 09-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Maximilian Hohmann
  Latest 50G Update...? Matt Agajanian 1 1,093 09-03-2013, 05:00 AM
Last Post: Pier Aiello
  Latest HP Prime "emulator" software available :) Adrien Bertrand 46 13,110 08-21-2013, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Joe Horn
  OT: Simulating a TI calculator with crazy 11-bit opcodes Egan Ford 8 2,576 08-13-2013, 12:06 AM
Last Post: Paul Dale
  SVN command to get latest realbuild Barry Mead 3 1,589 07-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Didier Lachieze