Ok... Own up! Who amongst you put this 15c description on eBay?

"Hewlett-Packard HP-15C calculator. I bought this new in July, 1985 ... The only real problem that I know of is that I can't turn it off unless I pull a battery. I don't see any 'off' function on the keyboard and I don't know if this has an auto-off feature after so many seconds of non-use. "

Hehe, too funny :-)

HI;

can we have the link so we can search for more 'easter eggs'?

Cheers.

Luiz (Brazil)

Quote:
HI;

can we have the link so we can search for more 'easter eggs'?

Cheers.

Luiz (Brazil)

Here it is... That's one 15c begging for a rescue.

You missed one of the best parts. He says he's used it for "many years" and still managed to never figure out how to turn it off, even accidentally. If his story is true, which would make him the dumbest person in history ever to manage to learn RPN, I'd hate to see the state of the batter door.

I'm quite sure this one came out of the trash.

Well, at least the seller didn't say he hadn't seen any equals key either...

"It comes with the HP-15C Owners Handbook"

Which is probably in like-new condition, as it may never have been opened :-)

You guys are so cynical. You will note he said the manual has his company name stamped on it. Just for fun, I Googled it. The guys name is David Tlusty, and he is now the County Surveyor for Langlade County, Wisconsin.

No idea why he doesn't know how to turn it off, but that doesn't mean someone made the whole thing up.

If anyone is interested, email him and ask if he has a 15c for sale on eB**. I won't repeat the address here, but it's public information easily obtained on the Internet.

I know him personally as he bought one of our early dc50 units. He sometimes seemed a little stuck in his ways and resistant to change, but definitely a real person and a great guy.

Last I heard he was in the hospital recoving from a nasty secondary infection if memory serves. That was a month or two ago.

TW

Quote:
Which is probably in like-new condition, as it may never have been opened :-)

Now *how* do I open this damned handbook!%$!$%!!!!! Grrrrr.

Last page to first page if it's Polish.

If it's from Texas, you better be careful. Sometimes you miss a page or get two pages when thumb through it, especially when it's about manuals from the 80th.

Edited: 17 Jan 2010, 3:09 p.m.

Quote:
...he bought one of our early dc50 units.

Well, then, that would explain why he no longer needs his 15c!

For the uninitiated, a DC50 is a customized 50g in a hard case with surveying software installed. Designed to replace the 48gx, which was the mainstay generic data collector for many years (as opposed to dedicated units sold by the instrument companies).

Our company used to use 48gx's up until 5 years ago, when we switched to a dedicated unit. About $3200 with GPS software installed, compared to about $800 for a GX with surveying card and 1 MB RAM card.

Quote:
"Hewlett-Packard HP-15C calculator. I bought this new in July, 1985 ... The only real problem that I know of is that I can't turn it off unless I pull a battery. I don't see any 'off' function on the keyboard and I don't know if this has an auto-off feature after so many seconds of non-use. "

I don't have a 15C and had no idea how to turn it off. It took about 90 seconds to google the manual and find that it shuts down automatically after some inactivity.

Hoping that the seller recovers from his infection,
Dave

Quote:

I don't have a 15C and had no idea how to turn it off. It took about 90 seconds to google the manual and find that it shuts down automatically after some inactivity.

Dave,

The inside joke is you push the on button again to turn that sucker off. You're excused for not knowing this. Mr. eBay however most definitely is not. I have half a mind of bidding for that sorry mess just to give it a decent burial, or put it on a pedestal like that savaged Toyota pickup on the British TV show Top Gear. That's a thought! How about a virtual pedestal at the hp museum for the most savaged but perfectly working hp calc?

By the way, I'm not convinced the gentleman mentioned earlier is the owner of this 15c. The (ab)user might simply be an employee of his company.

Regards,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Original 15C Keyboard Test Works With 15C LE!!! DigiGal 5 2,125 09-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Last Post: M. Joury
  630 USD for a 15c on Ebay! Jose Gonzalez Divasson 13 3,411 12-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Last Post: db (martinez, ca.)
  Is inflation taken into account When Prices of HP calculators are put in the web-site? Ozzie 5 1,385 03-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Last Post: Dave Hicks
  NIB HP 15C on eBay???!!! Luis 11 2,567 11-15-2005, 04:17 AM
Last Post: JDH
  HP49+ SD slot - please someone put me out of my misery Steve Dimond 12 2,429 02-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Karl Schneider
  I want to put graphic in my program?? Harrington 3 1,091 06-22-2004, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Harrington (USA)
  Which glue to put labels back Arnaud Amiel 1 790 04-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Last Post: David Smith
  Now THAT is a full auction description! Gene 5 1,585 01-01-2004, 12:28 AM
Last Post: Wlodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz
  Dave, a guy bought your CDRs, printed and is selling a copy of HP-15C manuals on ebay !!! Emmanuel, France 8 2,195 06-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Dave Hicks
  eBay item description does not seem right Nick Nicholas 2 905 04-13-2003, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Randy