How to polish the aluminum bezel of a HP 11C Voyager

I have recently been successful in fixing a beat-up Hp 11C
calculator. (Glass and the rest of the calculator looks pretty good) But the aluminum bezel looks awful with all its wear and tiny scratch marks. I have tried to polish the aluminum and anything is better than what it was before.
But I am wondering if anybody have tips on how to get back the original look. What kind of metal polish or sandpaper
is required to get close to what it looked like before.
Or rather what technique is required. Any tip would be helpful. I am sure I cannot be the first to try to do this.
Thanks
Irqan

irquan,
i took a look at the hpmuseum picture of the 11c and would suggest the following (no guarantee whatsoever, this is the 'modellers way', i never tried it on an HP!)

1) fix a sheet of sandpaper with self adhesive tape onto a glass pane with the rough side upwards.
to achieve best results, it *must* be a glass pane or glass table. make sure there are no dust or other foreign particles between the glass and the sandpaper. the sandpaper has to be of the wet sanding type.

2) across the sandpaper, fix an old ruler.

3) this is for testing:
take a piece of aluminium sheet metal and slide it along the ruler and across the sand paper.
use plenty of water with soap or dish cleaner as`'lubrication'.
only apply little pressure on the aluminium sheet while sanding.

4) from time to time, check for the sanding marks on the aluminum. maybe, you have to vary the 'roughness' of the sandpaper to achieve a result that matches the hp bezel. when successfull, take a fresh sheet of sandpaper and repeat step 3), this time using the bezel.
5) rinse the bezel with plenty of water (do not touch the grinded surface) and dry it with a lint-free cloth or a hairdryer.

6) and now for the trick: *as_soon_as_possible* after the sanding, apply a thin coat of clear metal varnish to the bezel and let dry at least ten hours. this will prevent the surface from oxidizing and getting a matt gray look.

7) if you find that the surface is not as glossy as it should be, you can apply another layer of varnish and even try to polish it with polish fo *acrylic glass*. this will give you glass-like surfaces. do not use car polish, it is much too coarse.

that should do the job.

cheers, hans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Voyager keyboard issue John Richards 2 1,441 09-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Last Post: John Richards
  Concern about Voyager keyboard test Matt Agajanian 2 1,403 08-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  HP-11C "horse racing" version Peter Murphy (Livermore) 2 1,694 08-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Last Post: rpn fan
  HP-11C and complex numbers Antlab 5 2,144 06-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Antlab
  HP 11C Batteries have lasted 22 years nink 3 1,395 06-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Les Koller
  Voyager Self Test Mike (Stgt) 5 1,914 05-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Mike (Stgt)
  DM-1x Silver vs. DM-1xCC Aluminum quality? bhtooefr 11 3,250 04-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Last Post: bhtooefr
  Creeping black pattern on HP-11C screen Larry Gagnon 6 2,016 04-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Peter Murphy (Livermore)
  Software for Reverse Polish Notation Calculator JC Howard 4 1,662 03-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Mike T
  Voyager reproduction logos ? John Robinson 2 1,350 02-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Last Post: John Robinson