32s problems

So, I've obtained a rather well-worn HP 32s (case isn't scratched up, but there's definite wear in the texturing on the edges, and the paint is worn off the metal faceplate around the display bezel and in a few other places). This one was made in the USA in 1988, and all the keys still click properly, but the top row and right column don't register unless you press down below the LCD (I understand the keyboard contacts are located here). I can probably fix this, I've read old posts on here where people have gotten success by adding some paper/tape/whatever behind the rubber strip that presses the keyboard connector onto the PCB, but I'm wondering:

Is the process described in "Pioneer Internals" involving drilling the top 4 heat stakes the best way to disassemble it?

Can I possibly repaint the damaged areas of the faceplate without it looking cheesy?

I don't care *that* much about the cosmetics, I bought it to use, as I need something smaller than my 48G to carry with me.

The drill-the-heat-stakes-and-pry-it-apart method has worked for me a number of times. You'll want to experiment, drilling only as much material as necessary to start prying the thing apart a the top. Done right, when you stick it back together, you won't see a thing.

I found a permanent marker at an art supply store -- a sort of taupe color -- which worked *pretty* well on scratches on my old brown Pioneers. (Better than paint, at least.)

I suppose a person with an air brush could match the color and finish, and spray through a custom mask, with holes only showing the scratched parts through. (Easy for me to say!)

Good luck. The plain-vanilla 32s has always been my favorite from a design standpoint. What a clean machine!

Paul,

Thanks for the advice, I was able to open the unit without a problem. I may have slightly bent the metal backing of the keyboard in convincing the bottom heat stakes to let go, but it fits together fairly well. The top didn't want to stay together, but I found a couple of appropriately sized screws to solve that issue. The calculator now works fine (also, on this model, the pad behind the keyboard connector is not a rubber strip (which would have worked well), but gray stuff that looks like closed-cell poly foam. I put some rolled up double-sided tape behind it.

Now I just have to ask myself... is it worth buying an old 10b just to get the cover to keep a fairly rough-looking machine from getting more battered. At the moment, 10b's seem fairly worthless, so it might be a good idea just for the extra battery door, etc.

You most likely did not bend the plate. The early Pioneers had stamped recesses in the plate for each key and the plates were not flat so I would not be concerned.

The original series of Pioneers, which included the 32S, had cases that received a redesign about a year into production. The way to tell the difference is to look.

Does the keyboard has six .062" pins extending from the keyboard side (at the four corners and two mid case) that engage in corresponding holes in the case back? These pins help to hold the case halves together at the edges. If so, this is the *later* design and any 10B will have a compatible case back. If you don't see pins, the case used a latching detent design which is the original design and trying to exchange the back with the later design will result in a loose back that is only held in place by the eight heat stakes.

HTH...

I have 8 plastic pins, 2 up at the top, 2 on the 2nd row down of heat stakes that's visible with the PCB on, and 4 on the very bottom row of heat stakes, but I don't see anything they engage into on the back, and there are 2 plastic latches about 2/3 of the way down on the sides of the back cover.

I wasn't actually talking about exchanging backs because mine's in good shape, I was more talking about the vinyl slipcover these came with, and stuff like the battery door. Not sure what's up with those pins, this calculator had never been opened before I opened it, unless HP or someone did it and actually replaced/re-heatstaked the covers, but I don't think HP ever serviced Pioneers like that, and

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP 32s LCD part Trisnadi Sutrisno 2 1,373 08-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Han
  HP-32S II Expansion Matt Agajanian 14 3,652 07-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  HP 32S-II Vertical Curve Program Ron Cardwell 2 1,352 05-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Thomas Klemm
  HP-41's ARCL on the 32S-II Matt Agajanian 2 1,156 05-04-2012, 04:45 PM
  Tips & Programs for the 32S Matt Agajanian 0 839 03-16-2012, 02:24 AM
  Just how tough is a 32S-II ? Matt Agajanian 12 3,238 03-11-2012, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Thomas Radtke
  HP 32S style ridgid case Anoop Sahal 0 819 05-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Anoop Sahal
  HP 32S Successor ka6uup 10 2,475 07-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Last Post: db (martinez, ca.)
  optimized prime factor finder for HP-32s Don Shepherd 6 1,993 07-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Don Shepherd
  HP-32s doesn't turn on Giovanni Jimenez 4 1,355 06-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Alexandre Penna