HP-01 help needed

Hello everybody, I need your help ! I have just received an HP-01 and I simply can't get it work. The item listed on ebay was pictured working, I have checked the batteris and are ok, what I'm I missing ? I just would be happy to see it showing date and time, any hint will be GREATLY appreciated, Alberto

Some basic points:

- these watches are 30 years old.
- they were beautifully engineered.
- batteries leak or out gas.
- the contacts on the battery holder (black plastic form) and
- contacts on the (PCA)printed circuit assembly get dirty.
- the contacts have a very narrow arc of contact. That is the
battery holder can shift in the case when the case back is put
in place.

So without diassembly and with the back off the watch, remove the batteries noting the polarity of each. Clean the contacts on the PCA with a cotton swab and alcohol or contact cleaner. Allow to dry. Clean the contacts on the battery holder (do NOT attempt to remove it) just swab what you can. Replace the batteries observing the polarity marked on the PCA or with reference to
the figures below. Once the batteries are in place press the reset button in figure 5.

Now let us know how it worked or email me personally.

Good luck, Geoff

Edited: 9 Oct 2009, 10:52 p.m.

Dear Geoff, dear all, first of all thank you for the prompt response.

I did all of the things you suggested, (actually I didn't take apart the whole watch) but yet, the display remains black ...

Few things I don't know (forgive me if are obviuos to most of the readers and to you) :

a. should the watch work without the metal back cover mounted ? (this will make easier future tests

b. should it work, what should happen ? should display a default date and a running time ?

c. Now, about batteries, the watch comes from australia and the batteries inserted are Energizer 357/303, I have checked them with a voltmeter, and these provide a good 1.5 volt output. What do you suggest ?

Ebay Item was 260478798693, and to me, it really looked like it was working, could the shipping have ruined it ? It was very well packaged.

Again, thank you very much for help.

a. should the watch work without the metal back cover mounted ? (this will make easier future tests)

Yes it will except for the piezo transducer (beeper) as that is built into the case back.

b. should it work, what should happen ? should display a default date and a running time ?

NO, you have to push the date button or time button. It MAY display a 0 followed by a decimal. If you press the reset button then you will get the 0. display

c. Now, about batteries, the watch comes from australia and the batteries inserted are Energizer 357/303, I have checked them with a voltmeter, and these provide a good 1.5 volt output. What do you suggest ?

The batteries are correct and show the correct voltage, HOWEVER, PURCHASE some new ones as a voltmeter does not test a battery with a draw on it. I have had bad batteries test close to 1.5 volts and not power the watch. These batteries when new on a volmeter should indicate 1.55 volts. The caveat here is to install new batteries prior to disassembly just in case!

Email me personally before you decide to disassemble the watch. When looking at the watch with it's face down and the case back off the sequence of battery placement should be:

upper left:    positive down   display battery
upper right: negative down display battery
lower centre: negative down memory battery (also required for display to work but does not power the display)

Ebay item 260478798693

He has the stopwatch function running. Have you tried pushing the upper right hand button marked S to see if that function works?

These watches are problematic when it comes to repair. Typically the batteries leak or out gas and corrode the PCA. A second failure point which can occur is the Quartz Crystal which can be replaced. The trimming capacitor can also be replaced. Contact breaks at both these points lead to a blank display.

Cheers, Geoff

geoffqf@nospamtelus.net remove the nospam part!

Edited: 10 Oct 2009, 11:00 a.m.

Hi:

Edit: removed duplicative stuff: Geoff answered tech questions before I did (and better!)]

Random thoughts:

If you haven't seen it already, this may interest you:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/hp01.htm particularly if you didn't get a manual.

Just to rule out any strange battery issues, you might want to try out a fresh set.

Good luck it getting it working.

Bob

Edited: 10 Oct 2009, 11:23 a.m.

it works ! it works ! it works ! it works ! it works ! it works ! it works ! it works ! it works ! it works ! it works ! it works ! it works ! it works ! it works ! it works ! it works ! it works ! it works ! it works !

I know it's childish, but, it works !! THnkas Geoff and thanks Bob, it really needed a fresh set of batteries, it was in very good shape and cleaned, so it was very frustating, I hope to post soon (if ever of interest) pictures of this beatiful piece of design.

Again, thx everybody, take care Alberto

Geoff, I'm ready to buy the book you are working on it when it will be ready, ay bews about it ?

Enjoy your new gem!

Right on and enjoy it!

The book is almost complete. Some of the HCC2009 people got to see it and they also got chapter eight in the proceedings.

The hardest part will be tracking down who gets credit for what but that will be done.

Cheers, Geoff

the pictures above have been modified from the book, but the HP-01 is chapter six.

Edited: 10 Oct 2009, 8:53 p.m.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last HP emulation, 32 & 01 Olivier De Smet 0 1,014 09-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Olivier De Smet
  [OT?]Orthography corrector needed. Diego Diaz 8 2,533 06-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Andrew Nikitin
  Identify HP-01 Prototype parts aj04062 3 1,534 06-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Last Post: aj04062
  HP-50g How to store many equations - help needed Timo Labrenz 5 2,028 03-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Timo Labrenz
  Disaster: help for a couple of HP97 needed! Jose Gonzalez Divasson 10 2,900 01-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Last Post: aurelio
  HP41 emulator for HP48sx - keyboard overlay needed Doug (NYC) 3 1,569 12-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Allen
  restoring HP29C - help needed Alberto Fenini 9 2,475 11-25-2012, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Alberto Fenini
  HP-01 Restoration aj04062 4 1,712 10-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Last Post: BobVA
  HP 34 and HP 41 Repairs Needed matthewx 4 1,750 07-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Last Post: matthewx
  HP-01 Watch John W Kercheval 6 2,094 05-09-2012, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Maximilian Hohmann