db: You miss an important non-HP RPN calculator!

Dennis,

I just took some time to browse your extensive non-HP RPN calculator collection and found one-and-a-half Texas Instruments calculators:

The TI-51 VI RPN HOAX and the Mickey Mouse calculator.

But you miss the ONLY real Texas Instruments RPN calculator!

How comes? Here it is:

In case you need one - I couldn't resist to put one for sale. Just search for RPN Simulator in our favorite four-letter website (e**y) and think about it.

Regards,
Joerg

Joerg,

How true to RPN stack operations is the TI-50 RPN module? I never had one to play with, but I have heard, from true HP devotees, that it is more of a toy RPN imitation.

Now since you are THE TI guy (AND a friend of the HP/RPN community) tell me if my impression is correct?

Cheers.

Namir

If I recall correctly, the RPN simulator module is mainly a translator that allows you to enter some simple RPN programs and convert them to TI-59 code.

Specifically, it did NOT reassign the TI-59 keyboard to an RPN machine.

There were some rpn programs for the TI-59, but the number of keystrokes needed was high, as everything had to be entered via "SBR" (subroutine) commands. And since those ran in a TI-59 program rather than a machine code, these were painfully slow and of no real use....

I was disappointed when this module came out, as it was the TI-59 that took me through college. Despite its limitations, it was a very powerful machine.

They are still pretty cheap to buy ($10-20) and fun to restore, though I've stopped at about 10 working ones...<grin>

Namir,

The TI Programmable 59 with the RPN Simulator is the best RPN calculator ever and easily outperforms the HP-67, HP-65 and even the HP-41C! Just buy it, test it for 3 months and compare it with your HP calculators. If you are not 100% satisified - just trade the calculator and module in within 3 months. No questions asked.

May the best calculator win!

No, I am not the sales guy from your local GM dealer - but I represent the Datamath Calculator Museum focusing on Texas Instruments calculators.

But - before I loose my credibilty in this wonderful forum:

The RPN Simulator module is a joke!!!

From the manual:

1) Enter the HP-67 keycodes amd watch your print cradle print the corresponding TI-59 keycodes in a program-listing format. HP-67 keycodes and step numbers are also printed for easy reference.

2) Key the program back into your TI-59 and record it on magnetic cards for future use.

3) Execute the program on your TI-59. Programs included in this library act as subroutines which simulates the RPN instructions.

You really wanted to do this on a daily base???

Hope this helps,

Joerg

Very fun. No, the TI-59 didn't do RPN. Even if you tried. But it's still a great machine, with a great history, and mine withstood fairly heavy use for years... my original still works... even the card reader (not sure why).

Like most here, I still prefer RPN machines, especially HP's. But I have a respectable collection of TI's, and I enjoy restoring and playing with TI's as well. I have asked people to "keep an eye open" for calculators at garage sales, etc. and I have been brought a large number of TI-55's. Most of them still work as well as they did when they were new.

My HP-25 had such pretty, shiny traces on the circuit board in high school. But those traces were covered with solder, which corroded over the years. Most of the TI's had clear-coated copper traces that ended up being more resistant to battery gassing. (Except that darn SR-52 keyboard)

Anyway, I sure see a lot more dead HP's than dead TI's come my way. When restored, the HP's are amazing. Gotta give those TI's their recognition, though. Thanks for doing that for us.

Michael

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [PRIME] RPN: another attempt at returning more than one value to the RPN stack Marcus von Cube, Germany 5 2,381 11-05-2013, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  Another non-HP RPN vintage calculator joins the collection Michael de Estrada 2 1,808 07-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Walter B
  OT: RPN calculator/dmm by ESI Kees van der Sanden 2 1,486 05-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Kees van der Sanden
  "HP RPN Calculator Users" group on LinkedIn Philippe Lasnier 6 2,573 04-27-2013, 03:27 AM
Last Post: BruceH
  Two tiny, simple, yet useful functions that I miss on the 34s Dieter 30 7,077 08-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Paul Dale
  What did I miss out on? Les Koller 6 2,041 07-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Les Koller
  OT: To All Number Crunchers: Don't miss this VBA numeric library Namir 0 785 04-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Namir
  OT: RPN calculator for Garmin GPS hpnut 3 1,336 03-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Andrés C. Rodríguez (Argentina)
  The smallest ever LED RPN calculator Michael de Estrada 11 3,074 02-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Bill Wiese
  [WP34S 41CL] Important Update ! robertoataulfo 9 2,372 12-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Dominic Richens