HP 41 high-pitch noise

Dear all,

I wonder whether some of you have made the same experience with an HP41CX: every time it runs a program or a function is executed I hear a noise of high frequency. This noise has its maximum at the back panel where the alphanumeric code is printed. Interestingly it is only present while the HP41CX is operating - while idle no sound. In contrast, my HP41CV does not show this.
Has anyone an idea where this noise does come from? Or even better - has anyone an idea how to eliminate this?

Thanks in advance
Frido

It is definitely comming from the Piezo transducer. The transducer is fixed to the back of the halfnuts and to the logic PCA of the fullnuts.

As to why it is buzzing during execution I would not know. However, try a master reset (ON + CLX) and then reload the programs. This has cleared the problem on a halfnut that 'buzzed' as soon as I reassembled it during restoration.

Hope it helps, Geoff

p.s. if the 'master clear' doesn'e work, remove the batteries and short the first and fourth battery contact. Then replace and try the 'master clear' and then reload the programs.

I used to make my HP-41 freak out back in the early 80s with various manipulations. A high-pitch noise was one of the results.

A simple master-clear should make it right. If not, I can't help any further...

The manipulation I'm talking about is to make the all-clear (clx + on) while the HP-41 is beeping, while the calculator is on. If you're lucky, the HP-41 will then squeal each time you press a key. You have to have the right timing to make it work though...

Just perform a BEEP or TONE (0..9)

This will reset the suitable CPU reg.

HTH

Raymond

Always start with the simplest, least invasive fix. In this case, as Raymond states, reset the buzzer register with an overiding new beep command.

I find that the more involved one gets the longer the fix will take when in most cases the KISS principle is the best.

Cheers, Geoff

Edited: 18 Aug 2009, 1:05 p.m.

+1. Many of the 100+ synthetic TONEs leave the beep line high when they're done, so the power supply noise gets to the beeper. When the calc is idle, there's less power supply noise. Just BEEP or do a TONE(0...9) so the beep output will finish at ground instead of Vcc.

You've rediscovered "buzz mode", which is present on the 41CX, and on the final ROM revision (HFF) for the 41C and 41CV.

Thank you for your numerous contributions!

However, I turned the HP-41CX on to perform the recommended master clear and was surprised not to hear the noise anymore.
Apparently, a rest of two days was sufficient to resolve this problem spontaneously.
I was trying to follow-up the cause for that noise and came to the conclusion that an overnight run of the calculator was possibly responsible for the problem. It was attached in an HP-IL loop to run as a data logger. Perhaps a charge which might have developed in the circuits was the origin of the high-pitch noise.

Nevertheless, I will have an eye on this, and the next time I will try to resolve this by the generation of a TONE or by a master reset, and keep you informed.

Regards, Frido

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP-41(CL): The easiest way to transfer FOCAL programs from a Linux PC to the HP-41 Geir Isene 13 5,578 12-05-2013, 02:40 AM
Last Post: Hans Brueggemann
  New high def picture of new TI-84 Plus Color SE Mic 17 4,755 11-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Luiz C. Vieira (Brazil)
  HIGH END HPs.. Status Symbols?? John W Kercheval 13 3,523 05-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  HP 20S with very high "off" current Neil Hamilton (Ottawa) 2 1,202 04-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Neil Hamilton (Ottawa)
  HP28S screen noise generator Keith Midson 7 2,409 02-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Gilles Carpentier
  HP-15C LE : Workaround for the high current spike Lyuka 14 3,867 01-12-2012, 04:43 AM
Last Post: Lyuka
  HP50g - High power consumption Frido Bohn 2 1,165 10-21-2011, 04:34 AM
Last Post: Frido Bohn
  wanted: high-resolution photo of 50g internals Eric Smith 9 2,922 10-04-2011, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  And they say that a sale value of a hp 41cx is high. robertoataulfo 7 2,055 08-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Last Post: M. Joury
  Did anyone here buy this? Seems a bit high. Michael de Estrada 2 1,100 05-04-2011, 03:01 AM
Last Post: Keith Midson