Help: how to get the hp-50g to work on expressions.

I am having great troubles with my HP-50g. It seems that there is a big clash between the way I am used to working with math, and the way the 50g is able to help me. Let me tell you what I need to do, and in what ways the 50g fails me. I am hoping that my frustration is simply due to inexperience (and bad documentation)... so any help would be very much appreciated.

A typical flow for me is this. I define a few expressions, for instance (not in HP notation, does not matter),

Quote:
p1 = q / (m * (m + q^2))

p2 = q (m + 1) / m

I then compute p1 * p2, and store it in another variable, say, p.
At this point, p contains a function of m and q, which are two variable that are meaningful in the problem I am studying.
I then want to simplify this expression: nothing is easier: I go into the equation editor, hit simplify, then re-store the result in p. So far, so good.

Then I hit the first bump. I would like to evaluate p, and I would like to do it in a way that resembles the equation mode of the good ol' 32SII: I would like the calculator to prompt me for values for m and q, showing me any previous value held by the variables, and then evaluate the expression p based on the new values. I don't see any quick way of doing this. The only way seems to be to create variables m and q, store values in them, then retrieve p, and hit EVAL. Is it really necessary to go through this? Is there a better way?

Once I play with p (and m and q) for a little while, I change something in the problem I am analyzing (maybe I make a change in the algorithm I am analyzing, whatever), and I get a new p2, for instance,

Quote:
p2 = (m+1) (m-1) (m-q) / (m^2 + q)

Great, I recompute p1 * p2, and store the result in p. So far so good.

But now I hit the second, and bigger, bump. When I try to simplify p, the calculator simplifies it all the way down to a real number! Just the presence of variables m and q in the directory caused the simplify algorithm to behave not only as simplify, but also as numerical substitute and evaluation!

This is absurd. If I have an equation on the stack, and call a command on that, the result should depend only on that -- not also on side factors like what other variables I have defined in that moment!!

This is also incredibly inconvenient. I want to have a simpler form of p first, so I can stare at it (and, e.g., infer by eye its asymptotic behavior, or whatnot). Only when I choose, I want to substitute the values of m and q into p and get a number!

Am I missing something?

Can I make the HP-50g work with my flow of playing with math?
Many thanks!

Luca

There are many ways to accomplish your goal. I believe the 50G's strength is also its weakness, it's very flexible. Some of the gurus here who can drive the equation solver will probably have other more elegant ways of addressing your concerns, but here is my first effort:

Make sure "m" and "q" are not already defined. (PURGE them)

I put your two expressions in the stack, and stored each as "p1" and "p2"

Now simply by pressing the VAR key, they appear above the soft keys. F1 F2 Multiply EVAL produces the combined expression you were after.

Leave your combined equation on the stack, or hit enter a couple of times to make however many copies you need.

Now here's where you can do all kinds of magic, this works for me:
Get the following line on the stack:
{q 2 m 3}

Be mindful of the spaces. Literally Bracket, no space, q, space, 2, space, m, space, 3, Bracket.

Now Right Shift Tool (it looks like a vertical line). This prompts the calculator to substitute the variables in the brackets into the equation above in the stack. Then press EVAL, you should (depending on your settings) get 16/63.

If you need to do this repeatedly, feel free to replicate the equation in the stack as needed, and consider storing the bracketed variables in a new variable (I used "v").

Once you get inside the head of the 50G, you'll be right at home!

Very respectfully,

David

David, thanks, this helps a lot.
The substitution tool, rather than defining variables, may be exactly what I needed. However, see also my other post on a bug in SIMPLIFY.

Luca

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  emu48 - copy stack doesn't work (as expected) Thomas Radtke 2 1,923 11-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Thomas Radtke
  Another Prime mystery - templates don't work anymore Michael de Estrada 2 1,306 11-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  Does the HP Prime software only work with Win 7/ 8 ? Michael de Estrada 3 1,612 10-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Last Post: John Ioannidis
  HP Prime - Saved formulas, expressions CR Haeger 6 2,029 10-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Last Post: CR Haeger
  HP-Prime: issues in entering expressions fhub 30 7,660 10-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Tim Wessman
  Back to School/Work/Other Calculator Poll Eddie W. Shore 63 16,065 09-12-2013, 06:03 AM
Last Post: bhtooefr
  Product Series and Limit Expressions on the 50G Matt Agajanian 13 3,588 09-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Simone Cerica
  How I use my HP50G at work. David Bengtson 7 2,384 05-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Ingo
  Does IR printing not work on your converted WP34s? Then read on... Harald 3 1,601 04-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Harald
  No luck getting flash disk to work in 95lx Harald 7 2,877 03-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Harald