HP SmartCalc 300s customer complaint

I never knew it was difficult to send my complaint to hp. Obviously, first I got an automated response. next, a HP person told me I must bring the complaint to the HP office in my region. I emailed HP Malaysia using their automated email by product group. sure, there is no email address for complaints about the HP SmartCalc yet, so I chose the closest product group. next, the eSupport engineer tells me to call HP Calculator support in Malaysia. The number is dead, so I sent another email to eSupport. I also emailed my complaint to the HP reseller. they forwarded that complaint to HP Singapore. sheesh..

anyone has direct access to HP Calculator Division (or are they non-existent?)

I recently bought an HP SmartCalc 300s serial no. 4CR XXXXXXXX.

I feel disappointed (and cheated) that HP saw it fit to use a 3rd party calculator and stick the HP badge on it. The Casio fx-115ES has more calculation modes. For example, these are missing from the HP:

1. Complex numbers 2. Base-N 3. Equations 4. Matrix 5. Vectors

If you examine the HP SmartCalc 300s display carefully, you can find these annunciators CMPLX, MAT, VCT, these are dimmed and presumably disabled. Why did HP disable these functions in a scientific calculator?

I have been an HP calculator user since 1979 with the HP 41CX, and I am always excited by new calculators from HP. Are the days of HP innovations and quality over? They appear happy to repackage someone else's calculators, not even improving them and certainly in the case of the SmartCalc, even crippling them. I bought the SmartCalc because I thought that it had the potential to be an innovative calculator such as the HP 20b Business Consultant (its J-tag connector may open up new possibilities). Even the SmartCalc's chassis is similar to the HP 20b, which is by no means an ideal calculator (mushy keyboard comes to mind).

I would appreciate a response from HP on these issues. Thank you.

Maybe the deal HP negotiated with Casio forced them to offer the calculator with certain functions switched-off?

Casio would know that the HP badge has more cachet value than their own so a calculator with identical functionality, the HP badge and a lower price would be damaging for them.

This is all guessing of course and is it certain that the HP is a re-badged Casio?

Also, I am sure I have seen re-badged clones with reduced functionality in other fields even if I can't think of one right now.

Mark

Quote:
anyone has direct access to HP Calculator Division...?

You do. There are at least two HP calculator folks on this forum.

Quote:
If you examine the HP SmartCalc 300s display carefully, you can find these annunciators CMPLX, MAT, VCT, these are dimmed and presumably disabled. Why did HP disable these functions in a scientific calculator?

This means both calculators most likely share the same display. For instance, the display in my 15C has D.MY and BEGIN annunciators which show up in the self test. There would be no point saying the financial functions are disabled on it.

Gerson.

You are right! I ran the self-test on my HP-15C (2234A), and sure enough, it has the BEGIN and D.MY annunciators. I had never even noticed this before. By the same token, my HP-12C (2732A) has GRAD and C annunciators, which are unused on that model. After all these years, I am still learning new things about my old HP calcs.

Michael

It appears C annunciator is meaningful on the 12C, but I don't remember now what it might be.

Regards,

Gerson.

Gerson, it has to do with calculating either compound or simple interest accruing during an odd period. You turn on the C annunciator (which means compound interest) via STO EEX. I've never used that particular function, but that's what it is for.

Compound interest mode (manual page 59). When C is off, it is simple interest mode. On the HP-15C, it stands for Complex number mode.

Michael

You bought an HP product that you could have researched before the purchase to see if it did complex, matrix, base, vector calculations, but you did not, it seems. You even say you bought it because it might have the potential to be ... but again, you paid next to nothing for this (retail is $15) on a hope...and you did not research enough before purchase.

After your purchase, you find it is different from a competitor. Caveat Emptor.

Several CHEAPER HP's bear a resemblance to other machines and HAVE for the last several years. If you have been watching HP calculators for more than a few months, you would know this. I assume HP corporate has decided to do this. Who knows? Perhaps it is to finance other higher end machines.

Are the days of HP innovation over? Apparently not - since HP has produced several distinct calculators over the last couple of years.

What exactly did you expect for your $15? Give me a break! If you like the casio so much, please buy one. It is a nice little machine.

Sorry, but I'd probably not respond in such a snippy manner if I hadn't read this posted to several locations.

P.S. the "C" indicator on the 12c is used to show the mode for computing interest - simple or complex for partial periods.

Edited: 26 June 2009, 10:40 a.m.

Thanks for the information, Don. I only use TVM functions on the 12c... and occasionally something not related any financial function at all, as in my updated post below :-)

Regards,

Gerson.

I'll have to agree with Gene's reply. I purchased a 300s, but certainly didn't expect to get a 15c. In fact, my daughter is happily using the calculator and considers it to be an upgrade on her TI 34II.

I see no listing of what you have identified as failing to function according to the advertised specifications of this machine. What is the basis for complaint to HP?

Quote:
Also, I am sure I have seen re-badged clones with reduced functionality in other fields even if I can't think of one right now.

I am not sure just how narrowly you define a "re-badged clone"; however, the Durabrand 828 was a machine that was packaged differently from the old Casio fx-7000G but mimicked the functionality of the fx-7000G. The 828 manual had nearly identical text to the manual of the fx-7000G and even had the same sample problems but with some typographical errors.

One major difference was that the 828 keyboard suggested that the SD2 and LR2 functions were available. A user could even get the display indicating the start of the mode; e.g., MODE SHIFT X would bring SD2 to the display, but the actual functions of SD2 weren't available.

Quote:
(HP-12C) Compound interest mode (manual page 59). When C is off, it is simple interest mode. On the HP-15C, it stands for Complex number mode.

And on the HP-16C, "C" stands for carry bit. On the HP-10C and HP-11C, it doesn't mean a darn thing.

"G" changes RAD to GRAD on the HP-15C, HP-11C, and HP-10C; it indicates a binary/octal/decimal/hexadecimal result out of ranGe on the HP-16C.

-- KS

Edited: 26 June 2009, 11:54 p.m.

Hello,

I don't believe that anybody would agree that rebadging/rebranding other designs and putting HP's name on them is a good thing. Some of the reasons that this is being done have been mentioned. If you want to put this topic more into perspective see an article at:

http://holyjoe.net/hhc2009/Recent%20Changes%20at%20HP%20Calculators.pdf

As explained in the article HP is trying to provide a broad product line and they need to start somewhere. The annual HP Handheld Conference, HHC, (first weekend of October this year) addresses these and other issues. Some years are more significant than others. Examples are 2002 and 2007. I believe that 2009 will be historically counted as one of these milestone years.

X < > Y,

Richard J. Nelson

I have a complaint about the 300s.

I CAN NOT FIND IT FOR SALE IN THE UK, even though HP UK list it on their website.

I have submitted a complaint to HP also asking when & where it will be available in the UK, without response.

Does any-one on this forum know where I can get one in the UK?

Bart

I'm only interested in the *specifics* of how this machine fails its *advertised* specifications. That would be rational basis for complaint...the *only* rational basis for complaint.

The HP SmartCalc 300s is *advertised* on the HP-UK website. I have looked at all the listed resellers (and more) and not found it available anywhere in the UK. Thus I cannot use *any* of the *advertised* specifications.

HP is saying "Look at this, do you like it? Well you can't have it because we don't feel like selling it in your country even though we say we are." (Note: It is not listed as "out of stock" on the HP-UK website).

I think this is quite a *rational* basis for complaint. Why advertise it if they do not wish to sell it?

Try this link. They say it isn't available until July 13th:

http://shop.wfsleath.co.uk/hp300s-scientific-calculator-f2240aaaba-1495-no-stock-due-week-commencing-13th-july-251-p.asp

Mark

Start holding your breath - I'm sure they will be right back to you personally on an irrational complaint.

A quick look at this link:

SmartCalc 300 specifications advertised on HP's site

shows a list of specifications. If the SmartCalc 300 does not do what is advertised here on the HP UK website, then a rational basis exists for the complaint.

Here is a link to the definition of the word "advertised":

Advertised

You'll note that what HP has done on their UK webpage falls into this usage.

1. To make public announcement of, especially to proclaim the qualities or advantages of (a product or business) so as to increase sales.

2. To make known; call attention to.

Sigh.

I wish to thank Mark for the one useful reply. This is the first mention of it that I can find on a UK commercial website. I had browsed Sleaths before but not come across it.

Now for more useless blurb: (I usually say "if you have nothing useful to say, don't say it" - however I now feel oblidged to defend myself)
Why did HP not have the courtesy to reply with the info of when they intended to ship to the UK when I queried them a few weeks ago? Actually they should have put this on their UK website. I had pretty much given up as it has been for sale in other countries.

Quote:
You'll note that what HP has done on their UK webpage falls into this usage.

1. To make public announcement of, especially to proclaim the qualities or advantages of (a product or business) so as to increase sales.

I actually think they failed on point 1 - how can they increase sales if it's not made available to buy? If you cross reference various sources on the definition of "advertise" you'll see the crux is: to make known in order to sell. How can you attempt to sell what you don't provide? Whether it be a part of a product, a function of a product or a whole product - they are not delivering what they advertise!
And then not have the courtesy to reply to a customer query on this.

The first post in this thread is an irrational complaint because the user got what was advertised.
I can not get what is advertised, therefore my complaint is rational.

Again thanks to Mark and no thanks to others that replied with useless info as to what they see as a "rational complaint" from within the boundaries of their technical pigeon-holes.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP 300s+: Too expensive ! Dimitri 5 1,903 09-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Mic
  Crate of HP 300s+ Mic 0 809 04-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Mic
  HP 300S+ Erturk Kocalar 2 1,278 03-19-2013, 07:16 AM
Last Post: Cristian Arezzini
  Free emulator of the new HP-300S+ available ! Mic 18 5,607 02-03-2013, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  Review of the HP-300S+ Mic 22 5,311 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Last Post: chris smith
  A show review of the SmartCalc 300s... Jose Gonzalez Divasson 3 1,448 02-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Chris Smith
  So I bought a Casio 115ES and an HP Smartcalc 300s Brian K 6 2,084 07-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Paul Gaster
  HP-300s cannot do nCr for many allowable values DeboT 21 4,805 10-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  HP300s smartcalc error Scott Smith 8 2,173 01-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Walter B
  SmartCalc 300s Matthias Wehrli 1 940 12-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Martin Pinckney