HP "Virtual Tech Museum" contest

I got some unsolicited email yesterday that I almost deleted, from someone at a company Waggener Edstrom, claiming to be representing HP. Apparently HP is running a contest for a HP Virtual Tech Museum and soliciting entries. They're looking for the oldest powered computing or entertainment devices, with photos and stories.

I have several items that I'd submit, but the contest is only open to the Asia Pacific region. See the contest rules on the web site for details.

I say we have our own right here. I'd really like to see what you have and hear your story.

Quote:

I have several items that I'd submit, but the contest is only open to the Asia Pacific region. See the contest rules on the web site for details.

you ought to qualify. The USA has a Pacific coast, right?

"This contest is open only to residents residing in the following countries: Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam and prizes may vary across the Asia Pacific region". - JK

How bizarre -- a contest for the Asia Pacific region and the list of countries doesn't even include Japan and the Philippines?

And it includes Australia but not New Zealand. A little odd, especially since the Australian Constitution provides for New Zealand to become a state eventually.

Anyone want to rent my spare room so they can enter? ;)

Best,

--- Les

[http://www.lesbell.com.au]

Les,

Your post reminded me of the following:

Understanding International Security Levels

The British are feeling the pinch in relation to recent terrorist threats in Islamabad and have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." Brits have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies all but ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorised from "Tiresome" to a "Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was during the great fire of 1666.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide". The only two higher levels in France are "Collaborate" and "Surrender." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

It's not only the French who are on a heightened level of alert. Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout loudly and excitedly" to "Elaborate Military Posturing." Two more levels remain: "Ineffective Combat Operations" and "Change Sides."

The Germans also increased their alert state from "Disdainful Arrogance" to "Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs." They also have two higher levels: "Invade a Neighbour" and "Lose".

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual, and the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Americans meanwhile are carrying out pre-emptive strikes, on all of their allies, just in case.

In the Antipodes...

New Zealand has also raised its security levels - from "baaa" to "BAAAA!". Due to continuing defence cutbacks (the airforce being a squadron of spotty teenagers flying paper aeroplanes and the navy some toy boats in the Prime Minister's bath), New Zealand only has one more level of escalation, which is "crap, I hope Australia will come end rescue us". In the event of invasion, New Zealanders will be asked to gather together in a strategic defensive position called "Sydney".

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its security level from "No worries" to "Fair dinkum, mate". Three more escalation levels remain, "Crikey!', "I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend" and "The barbie is cancelled". There has not been a situation yet that has warranted the use of the final escalation level.

As a Frenchman, I would slap you across the face with my white glove, but that would mean I would have to remove it from my flag pole!!!

8^)

What about Guam??

Take no prisoners!

:-))

Love it!

Best,

--- Les

[http://www.lesbell.com.au]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Virtual printer for a virtual 41 Mike (Stgt) 6 2,298 10-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Mike (Stgt)
  HHC 2013 programming contest winners Brian Walsh 52 12,364 09-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Last Post: David Hayden
  HHC / HP Museum Programming Contest for RPN and RPL machines Gene Wright 18 5,449 09-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Miguel Toro
  Virtual HP-IL Video Interface ILVideo the 2nd! Christoph Giesselink 3 1,539 08-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Sylvain Cote
  emulated or virtual? Mike (Stgt) 6 2,096 05-14-2013, 11:15 AM
  HHC 2012 RPN Programming Contest - 10-Step Way-After-Nashville Solution Jeff O. 32 6,655 10-12-2012, 01:41 AM
Last Post: Paul Dale
  Mini-challenge: HHC2012 RPL programming contest with larger input David Hayden 14 3,536 10-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Last Post: David Hayden
  HHC 2012 RPN Programming Contest Gene Wright 73 14,141 09-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Last Post: x34
  HHC 2012 RPL Programming Contest Gene Wright 33 7,514 09-27-2012, 01:57 AM
Last Post: Werner
  Virtual HP41 and Virtual HP-IL Mike (Stgt) 5 1,878 09-17-2012, 01:47 PM