Plug for the MoHPC forum: 72 hours in a day

Apparently I've got 72 hours in a day!

If I did, the wife would still take 70 of them ;-)

And we are of course the most vibrant bunch of geeks around!

Dave.

Hi Dave, I'm glad you saw the plug. That's twice I've had to write you up in a week's time. Good on you!

Steve Leibson

Dave,

I really love your blog, you've got such enthusiasm and really tell it like it is. You don't want to bash the manufacturers too much they'll stop sending you the free test equipment to review!

-Katie

"Leibson's Law: It takes 10 years for any disruptive technology to become pervasive in the design community. "

I like this idea. It is really true with so many ideas. You can see this with Rapid Prototyping, with desktop 3D modeling; we will see this with 3D printing. 5 Years from now, the firms which make a lot of momey doing 3D printing for other firms, will have evloved--all their customers will be 3D printing!

And of course by 1985 the calculator was pretty pervasive. Of course by 1995 the PC was pervasive and the calculator dead.

Your idea also relates in some way to a thought of mine, which is that technologies achieve their best quality at about 10 years into production. After that, quality is optimized downward. You can see this in everything from tasters to of course, the Voyager calculators.

Some complicated things such as automobiles sort of have to be deconstructed to study this. 10 years after ABS invented or something like that.

There's just nothing like a 15c.

I wonder when the highest quality K&E slide rule came out?

The first K&E's were made by Dennart & Pape of Germany in the 1890's. When K&E began making their own a few years later they were high quality as were the last made in early 1970's.

Side by side it's hard to see or feel any difference.

Too bad we can't say the same about HP calc's.

Quote:
I really love your blog, you've got such enthusiasm and really tell it like it is. You don't want to bash the manufacturers too much they'll stop sending you the free test equipment to review!

Thanks Katie.

I wish I was getting gear given to me to review! ;-)

BTW, the blog is now available as a Podcast, including through the iTunes store. Just click on the appropriate button on the site to join. So no need to visit my site any more, get it delivered straight to your iPod or whatever.

Dave.

Quote:
"Leibson's Law: It takes 10 years for any disruptive technology to become pervasive in the design community. "

I like this idea. It is really true with so many ideas.

It's nearly true, but not quite, IMHO. What it should say is something like: "It takes 10 years for any disruptive technology to discover the enabler needed to make it truly disruptive."

So, for example, the discovery/invention of electricity was a disruptive technology but the thing that really kicked it off was the invention of the humble wall socket. Think about it.

I just found your video blog, and I love it!

Actually, I found it through another electronics forum, and I had no idea it was our very own DaveJ until I got to your HP 20b review, and your mention of the uWatch.

I can be so slow, sometimes :)

Dave: Liebson's compliment looks like it belongs on your resume:

Imagine what you could do with a lab full of David L Jones clones.

Congrats!
--Peter

I like that idea.

Quote:
Dave: Liebson's compliment looks like it belongs on your resume:

Imagine what you could do with a lab full of David L Jones clones.

Congrats!
--Peter

I might just have to do that!

Dave.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An amazing day: Giving a talk at HP about their calculators Geir Isene 9 4,448 12-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Last Post: aurelio
  WTF? W-here T-o F-ind the original hpmuseum forum? Alexander Oestert 40 13,592 12-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Matthias Wehrli
  Greetings to all (old and new) MoHPC members! HrastProgrammer 9 2,800 11-30-2013, 04:58 AM
Last Post: HrastProgrammer
  A Reminder of the Forum's Terms of Use Mark Hardman 20 5,024 11-27-2013, 03:14 AM
Last Post: Walter B
  How to add image to HP Forum Posting Harold A Climer 2 1,471 11-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Han
  HP PRIME - How to convert TICKS in hours, minutes, seconds giancarlo 10 2,939 11-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Harold A Climer
  HP-Prime CAS forum (xCAS) CompSystems 0 1,017 09-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Last Post: CompSystems
  HHC 2013 Day 2 Highlights Eddie W. Shore 6 2,486 09-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Kimberly Thompson
  HHC 2013: Day 1 Highlights Eddie W. Shore 28 7,675 09-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Brad Barton
  HPmuseum's Forum RSS Pier Aiello 1 1,207 07-31-2013, 03:08 AM
Last Post: Massimo Gnerucci (Italy)