Non-Programable RPN Calculators

This may seam like an unusual request. I'm looking for a non-programable RPN calculator that uses a LCD display. As read through the list of older hp's they all seam to be either RPN and non-programable with a red LED display, or programable with an LCD display. In a pintch, the red LEDs would be ok, but I'd like to avoid that if I could.

Matt

All LCD RPN calculators are really programmable, no real exceptions. However, do to a small technicallity, the Hp17bii and Hp19bii are not considered programmable since they only provide a solver with no branching capability. Both are RPN and the 19bii also has trig functions.

Else as you said, Hp made LED calcs that were non programmable, Hp32e, Hp31e, Hp21, Hp45, Hp35, Hp27. Most will cost what an Hp19bii will cost and be harder to find.

Have I overlooked anything?

I hadn't thought about it, but I guess you're right. Gives more perspective to the RPN vs. algebraic situation: are RPN users smarter? more demanding? are algebraic users not to be trusted?

One possibility to meet your requirement is the 17BII. You can set it to RPN, and it is not programmable in the usual sense. It has a Solver that lets you store functions that operate like the Time Value of Money program, but unless you know some undocumented things, you can't use any form of looping. Mr. Maguire could shed some light on this.

Also: hp-01, hp-10, hp-22, hp-37, hp-46, hp-70, hp-80, hp-81, hp-91, hp-92, hp-9805.

I doubt you want to lug around a 9805 even if you could find it, though :-)

Why do you care about non-programmability? You don't *have* to program a programmable calculator!

John wrote:

"Why do you care about non-programmability? You don't
*have* to program a programmable calculator!"

I concur with this observation, I thought the same
when I read the original post. Any programmable RPN can
be used as if it wasn't at all, so what's the point ?
About the only reason I can fathom for the absolute need
of a non-programmable RPN calculator is if programmables
are forbidden at some exam.

Else, the minimal LCD programmable is possibly the
HP-10C, which has only 8 bytes of program memory to begin
with [they only expand to about 70 if you do key in some
program]. Also, it's programmability is so minimal that
most HP-25 worthwhile programs simply don't fit in.

However, getting an HP-10C is much easier said than
done, so the next minimally-programmable, affordable LCD
model must be the HP-12C. This model has also only 8 bytes
of program memory initially.

If you want it for use as an everyday RPN,
non-programmable calculator, I would honestly recommend using an
inexpensive, easy to get HP-12C. It has lots of storage
registers, it's classy and good looking, Singapore and USA
models are solid and well built [unlike Chinese ones],
and has all functions you would need, save trigonometrics.
And if you do need trigonometrics, you can use its
program memory to store a trigonometrics package
permanently. It's exactly what I use, always at hand.

I tried to disable programming on my HP-32S.

I filled every variable (A-Z and i) with a many-digit number (including large exponent) and I added a few values to the statistical sum. This seemed to bring memory down from 390 bytes down to 126.

Still programmable, I'm afraid. (That is, unless someone else can think of even more ways to eat up the little bit of memory offered with the 32S/SII models . . . )

Hi,

you could even put some glue under the PRGM mode key;-)
That would prevent you from 'accidently' programming the machine. But maybe this has some other drawbacks, too...

More seriously: I'd take a 17B or 17BII,
since those models don't have a PRGM mode key.

Of course they are programmable, but in a somewhat different way...

So if someone looks at a 17B at first, it obviously seems to be non-programmable.

Raymond

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [PRIME] RPN: another attempt at returning more than one value to the RPN stack Marcus von Cube, Germany 5 2,384 11-05-2013, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  RPN Calculators in Use rgray 8 2,351 04-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  10 Key Calculators vs RPN Matt_12c 6 1,805 03-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Allen
  How many non-HP RPN calculators do you own? Michael de Estrada 32 7,344 07-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Martin Pinckney
  Multiple business model RPN calculators and not many scientific ones? ravwalia 38 8,495 04-23-2010, 02:10 AM
Last Post: DaveJ
  Before I had HP calculators, I had Sharp calculators hecube 7 2,313 08-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Last Post: Mark Edmonds
  New Iphone & Itouch calculator - Access RPN and Active RPN Nigel Bamber 1 1,129 06-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Jean-Michel
  Another calculator with RPN (Corvus 500 RPN) Saile (Brazil) 7 2,137 03-31-2009, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  My first programable HP Howard Lazerson 18 4,065 03-13-2008, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Geoff Quickfall
  Javascript RPN calculators? Gene Wright 10 2,494 07-11-2007, 01:47 AM
Last Post: Alain Mellan