Crimson Research (freeware) Voyager emulators removed from iTunes App Store.

Anyone have the inside scoop?

PG

There is some discussion that there may be potential copyright issues with some of the later HP calculator microcode. Perhaps this is why the free nonpareil iPhone/iPod Touch versions of HP-11C, HP-12C, HP-15C and HP-16C were pulled from the Apple App Store?

From: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8623385

"I've been doing a lot of reading in the various websites where work on HP calculator simulation is done, and there appear to be licensing or copyright issues with some later microcode, e.g. I see where the nonpareil distribution was being discussed as split between free and not over this. So it may well be that some kind of copyright issue arose."

This also may be why the latest Nonpareil downloads do not include the voyager emulations. From nonpareil.brouhaha.com:
"23-AUG-2008: Voyager calculator models have been removed in release 0.79 due to licensing issues."

See more discussions at:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/forum.cgi?read=144411#144411

Cutting through all the bull, the bottom line is that Apple wants control of the world. They're really jerks sometimes...

Quote:
Cutting through all the bull, the bottom line is that Apple wants control of the world. They're really jerks sometimes...

Why would this have anything to do with Apple?

HP have obviously told them to pull it due to possible copyright infringement. HP didn't really care before, but now they have figured out a use for the Voyager ROM's and think they are worth something again. Expect to see a new 11C/15C on the market sometime soon.

BTW, yes I agree, Steve Jobs wants to control the world.

Dave.

Honestly, I doubt HP even cares about the ROMs. I would be shocked (truly, shocked) if HP asked them to take it down. I suspect that Apple lawyers were just making sure they didn't have any problems, and took it as a chance to get back at their biggest competitor in the laptop space. Those ROMs, and those simulated calcs, pose no threat to HP at all. If they did, HP would be pushing their calcs far more than they are today. TI might complain (might!), but not HP.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but some of the things Apple does are truly despicable.

BTW, I want a calc watch for Christmas, Santa. ;-)

thanks,
bruce

Quote:
Honestly, I doubt HP even cares about the ROMs. I would be shocked (truly, shocked) if HP asked them to take it down. I suspect that Apple lawyers were just making sure they didn't have any problems, and took it as a chance to get back at their biggest competitor in the laptop space. Those ROMs, and those simulated calcs, pose no threat to HP at all. If they did, HP would be pushing their calcs far more than they are today. TI might complain (might!), but not HP.

I'm sure Eric did not remove them off his own bat. HP have spoken to him or by way of contract. It's likely the same thing here.

HP are starting to use these ROM's again, it's natural for them to want to care about retaining the rights to them again.

Quote:
I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but some of the things Apple does are truly despicable.

Sure, but I doubt anyone at Apple could give two hoots about some insignificant (in the scheme of things) calculator app on their Apple store unless someone has whispered in their ear...

Quote:
BTW, I want a calc watch for Christmas, Santa. ;-)

Sorry, Santa's workshop is still making the blank PCB's, and the elves have been slack and not ordered the other parts yet.

Dave.

Quote:

Ah... No.

HP apparently did contact Eric Smith at nonpareil.brouhaha.com and ask him to remove the Voyager series from the nonpareil calculator emulator. That is why he posted the notice, "Voyager calculator models have been removed in release 0.79 due to licensing issues." on his site.

If Apple wanted to remove HP calculators from the App Store (for whatever weird strange reason that would be) they would have already pulled down all of the other HP calculators emulators that are still there.

So, if HP requested the (free) Crimson Research emulators be removed, why are the Thomas Fors ($20 ea.) emulators still available at the iTunes store? Are they not both based on Eric Smith's Nonpareil sources?

Quote:
So, if HP requested the (free) Crimson Research emulators be removed, why are the Thomas Fors ($20 ea.) emulators still available at the iTunes store? Are they not both based on Eric Smith's Nonpareil sources?

That's a very good question. Thomas Fors mentions that "The core emulation code was ported from the Mac OS X port of Nonpareil."
This is the same source of the free Voyager emulators that were removed from the App Store.
R.L.M. Software also sells Voyager calculator emulator (or simulator?) software in the App Store.
Lots of unanswered questions.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP Prime: =f(x):=expression in spreadsheet app CR Haeger 1 1,680 12-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Last Post: cyrille de Brébisson
  HP PRIME: APP program code DISAPPEARS !! Joseph Ec 0 1,169 11-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Joseph Ec
  HP prime: linear solver app Alberto Candel 1 1,408 11-21-2013, 01:57 AM
Last Post: Michael Carey
  HP Prime: Linear Solver app bug BruceH 0 1,122 11-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Last Post: BruceH
  HP Prime - CAS functions in Spreadsheet App CR Haeger 6 2,398 11-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  HP Prime - Geometry App inconsistence bluesun08 4 1,765 11-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Last Post: parisse
  HP Prime - Geometry App Intersection bluesun08 2 1,385 11-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Last Post: bluesun08
  HP Prime - more than a spreadsheet app so far CR Haeger 0 1,097 11-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Last Post: CR Haeger
  Equation Library/App for the Prime Harold A Climer 3 1,681 10-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Last Post: CompSystems
  Example of an App created for Prime, (schedule program from earlier posting). Geoff Quickfall 0 1,007 10-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Last Post: Geoff Quickfall