HHC 2008

Hey Guys,

I know that some people jumped the gun and asked about what happened at the conference early. It's been a month now, please could some one let those of us that could not be there know the details of what was talked about?

FYI, there are 2 reports on HHC 2008 in DATAFILE V27 N5. I received my copy yesterday.

I do not receive DATAFILE.

I'm sorry to say that I missed HHC this year. I was really disappointed not to be able to go, I'd been really looking forward to it.

There are a couple of good reports in Datafile. And the new 12C made the front cover! This is the "12C+" that Cyrille showed in early prototype form at HHC 2007, 70 times faster than the old 12C. I look forward to them showing up on sale in the U.S.

If someone would care to summarize their HHC report here (minus any NDA'd information, of course), I'm sure the community would be grateful.

Quote:
I look forward to them showing up on sale in the U.S.

I asked Cyrille how would we know if the newer/faster 12C's were on the shelves, then answered my own question by saying we could pay attention to the serial number sticker on the packaging. He agreed, and said those with serial numbers later than Aug.'08 would have the new processors. On the other hand, does the Datafile photo actually have a "+" after the "12C"? If so, this is a dead giveaway, since it is represents a new model (but in the back of mind, I seem to remember it still said "12C", not "12C+", thus the reason for initially asking the question).

Matt

Edited: 29 Oct 2008, 2:39 p.m.

The product is labeled "12c"

No +.

Gene

Quote:
I'm sorry to say that I missed HHC this year. I was really disappointed not to be able to go, I'd been really looking forward to it.

There are a couple of good reports in Datafile. And the new 12C made the front cover! This is the "12C+" that Cyrille showed in early prototype form at HHC 2007, 70 times faster than the old 12C. I look forward to them showing up on sale in the U.S.

If someone would care to summarize their HHC report here (minus any NDA'd information, of course), I'm sure the community would be grateful.

If HP have been actively working on a new 12C then that means a scientific version is trivially easy for them. Given the recent survey hints I'd expect a scientific voyager is the un-backable front runner. Unless it gets canned of course...

Dave.

Quote:
I asked Cyrille how would we know if the newer/faster 12C's were on the shelves...

I think you could also tell by looking to see how many batteries are included. The new 12C takes two CR2032 batteries, as opposed to the old 12C's one CR2032. That may not be on the package, though, I'm not sure.

Quote:
On the other hand, does the Datafile photo actually have a "+" after the "12C"?

No, it just says 12C, exactly like the old one.

Quote:

If HP have been actively working on a new 12C then that means a scientific version is trivially easy for them. Given the recent survey hints I'd expect a scientific voyager is the un-backable front runner. Unless it gets canned of course...

Dave.

Anyone know (and can say) what CPU the new 12C uses?

Is this new 12C functionally identical to the latest version except for the speed?

How is the keyboard on the current 12C machines, compared to the 35S keyboard for example? Or are they using the same mechanism as per the originals (which would surprise me)?

Mark

The keyboard feel or tactile response is about the same IMO on 12c Anniversary Edition and 35s. My 12C of 1986 responds a bit softer, but this may be due to age. Of course, the old keys had a glossy surface, while the new ones have to be a bit raspy (?) to take the print.

HTH

Walter

12C ... (+)

What a progress! And again not a scientific one. Too bad that I'm a physicist and not a business man.

Quote:
Too bad that I'm a physicist and not a business man.

Since we don't get "our" calcs anymore we seem to be a species doomed to die ;)

Were there any updates presented on other DIY calc projects? i.e. DIY-RPN

Dave.

No news on DIY-RPN, sorry.

I showed the 97 running on Nonpareil, and spoke briefly about reverse-engineering how the PICK chip (printer interface and keyboard scanner/buffer) worked. I also showed the ports to the iPhone, i41CX+ by AL Software, and SCI-11C, FIN-12C, SCI-15C, and PRG-16C by Thomas Fors LLC.

"Always look on the bright side of life." Camera pulls back to reveal three whistling men on crosses, a scene from "The Life of Brian."

Gene may have mentioned this already, but Pavneet Arora received the "Best Speaker" award for his talk on HP 50G usage in Construction Estimation and Design, and how it compares favorably with Calculated Industries Construction Master Pro calculator. Pavneet's library, called Construct-O-Trade Software (COTS), simply blows-away the Construction Master feature-wise, and explained that it is truly an investment in a good, time-saving tool, similar to an investment good drill or saw that pays for itself in short-order. He emphasized HP could be missing a viable niche market, when you think of how many Calculated Industries calcs are sold in the big box home improvement stores.

It didn't take long to envision an HP 50G in a protective rubber boot (like my Fluke DMM's :-).

Pavneet didn't mention price, that wasn't his emphasis (it may not even be finished yet), but his excitement and belief in the product came through clearly. It didn't hurt that he speaks pretty eloquently as well.

Matt

That's cured easily: Subscribe! :)

Hi,

Richard Nelson was about three quarters through a detailed HHC2008 conference report, to be posted on the conference web site at http://holyjoe.net/hhc2008/ , probably in the "HHC News" section, when his computer went on the fritz. It is in for repair. He did email a few of us an in-progress version of the report for our comments and corrections, so we can always email it back to him when his computer is working again (should his hard drive end up erased). His computer is supposedly coming back to him next week.

A quick mention of a few of the things at the conference: Sharon Butterfield of the old Advanced Products Division reminisced about how she collected $400. personal checks and cash for mail-in HP35 orders back in 1972. Not having received direction on what to do with this stash, it was not until around a MILLION DOLLARS were stuffed into filing cabinets that HP finally took notice and did something with the money.

Also, we heard from Corvallis alumni Megha Shyam, Jim Donnelly and Charlie Patton. (We were sad to hear that both Dave Conklin and Bill Wickes would be out of town on that weekend.) Also, G T Springer from the current HP group did a nice demo of the new Streamsmart data collector/logger while attached to an hp40gs. We also learned that software to connect the Streamsmart to the 50g is possibly not too far in the future.

Since the 20b business machine is their newest release, they naturally wanted everyone to see it, so we all got 20b freebees, courtesy of HP. Gene Wright demonstrated how the 20b may be reflashed, and he loaded that HP45 emulator which appears on Bruce Bergman's hp20b Wiki at http://hpwiki.fatcity.com/doku.php?id=20b:software-demo_45.

There is much more, but I'll stop rambling here for now. I did videotape the whole conference, and hope to have copies available on DVD soon.

Jake Schwartz

...and, thanks to the global banking crisis, the pound is the cheapest that it has been against the dollar for a long time.

US subscribers should renew now before it goes back again!

HPCC

I emailed HP last summer suggesting that they produce a calculator oriented towards units conversion and architecture/construction-industry calculations, especially feet-inch math. I pointed out that none of the Calculated Industries or Sonin offerings could handle math hierarchy.

I got a reply thanking me for my suggestions and saying they would be forwarded on the the product development folks.

reading this post and the previous:
"It didn't take long to envision an HP 50G in a protective rubber boot (like my Fluke DMM's :-)."
AND
thinking of the surveying business of Tim Wessman

Why no HP-50GI (GI pun?) Graing Industrial
with bright yellow rubber case and GOOD keyboard...

I hope Agilent buys "ACO" (and Hydrix)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HHC 2013 RPN Programming Challenge - Final Thought Jeff O. 7 2,309 10-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Jeff O.
  HHC 2013 programming contest winners Brian Walsh 52 12,368 09-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Last Post: David Hayden
  Box left at HHC Tim Wessman 1 1,570 09-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Wlodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz
  HHC 2013 speakers' files Joe Horn 2 1,576 09-26-2013, 02:51 AM
Last Post: Geoff Quickfall
  HHC 2013 Day 2 Highlights Eddie W. Shore 6 2,489 09-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Kimberly Thompson
  HHC 2013: Day 1 Highlights Eddie W. Shore 28 7,683 09-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Brad Barton
  HHC / HP Museum Programming Contest for RPN and RPL machines Gene Wright 18 5,451 09-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Miguel Toro
  HHC 2013 room numbers David Hayden 2 1,267 09-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Last Post: sjthomas
  FYI: HHC 2013 Programming contests are coming Gene Wright 0 891 09-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Last Post: gene wright
  HHC 2013: One Week To Go Eddie W. Shore 2 1,446 09-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Craig Ruff