HP 35s ENTER and keystroke skipping

Hi,

Recently I have noticed that my HP 35s tends to miss the first keystroke (a number, for example) if I press it in less that aprox. 0.5 sec after pressing the ENTER key.

When I press the enter key, the "Busy" indicator shows for a very short time, however this behaviour happens even a little bit after.

Are you any of you experiencing similar issues?

Regards,

I haven't observed the Busy indicator when pressing enter yet. Are you using the algebraic entry mode or do I overlook something?

I had issues with the 4 key and ENTER key not responding on the 1st press with my 35S earlier this year. HP replaced it under warranty back in February. The replacement unit itself was replaced under warranty 2 weeks ago as it had a very soft gold arrow key. The gold shift key was mushy (had zero tactile feedback) right out of the box. The new one seems to work okay for now.

Call HP and complain. It is not normal to have the problems you describe. I personally never got a busy indicator doing simple calculations but sure did have keyboard problems. HP sends the replacements reasonably quickly. It took about 10 days from when I sent it in to get the replacement calc.

I'm still disappointed that the keyboard in the 35S hasn't really been all that robust. Posters here have had problems with 35S keyboards. What I don't understand is in an interview in an engineering trade publication, an HP product manager bragged that they took great pains to make the keyboard top notch. I think something is amiss between the design and the final production product.

Quote:
I haven't observed the Busy indicator when pressing enter yet. Are you using the algebraic entry mode or do I overlook something?

I am using RPN. The indicator shows up only very briefly, buy it is clearly visible.

Hello. My 35s shows a similar behaviour. It misses keystrokes when I do fast calculations, e. g. when I punch in numbers rapidly. With the same spees, my 32sii for example never fails.

My 35s disappeared in a drawer, I no longer use it.

As Tom said, have it replaced if possible. Nothing changes when customers accept crap.

I haven't had problems when typing fast but once in a while, I have had keystrokes get missed and although this happens rarely, you lose confidence in typing without reading the display. However, the C On button is definitely more unresponsive than the other keys. I would have changed the calc but stupidly, I imported it and the cost of sending it abroad for changing and then hoping the replacement is better isn't worth it as I don't really like the calc and it hardly gets used.

Mark

I live in Europe and bought the 35s in the United States. I don't want any additional costs by sending it back.

I won't use the calculator, even when it works normally. I no longer like it and stick with the 32sii. I have a "lifetime stock" of these. Shall HP go down, I don't bother anymore.

The warranty is valid worldwide, so you should be able to get it replaced locally. That is official HP policy.

Hello Eric.

That's nice to hear. But there is one major problem: there is no local dealer in my area ... That's why I ordered it in the United States in the first place. Even today, I don't know of a single shop, of whatever kind, that sells the current "top of the line" HP calculators (20, 35, 50). And even if I did find one, I "know" the local dealers. If you didn't buy it from them, they are not interested.

As long as it is sold somewhere in your country, you should be able to contact HP support in your country and arrange for replacement that way.

Sorry, that's what I meant by "locally" (local to your country, not within your city) -- I realize that a dealer would have no reason to do this for you, but I was very unclear.

Thanks for your effort!

Now I do understand. And by the way, thanks for the 1Mb Ram-Card for the GX that you sold me many years ago. It still works flawlessly ;)

Quote:
Hello. My 35s shows a similar behaviour. It misses keystrokes when I do fast calculations, e. g. when I punch in numbers rapidly. With the same spees, my 32sii for example never fails.

My 35s disappeared in a drawer, I no longer use it.

My 35s is also never used, except when I need to bring a calculator with me somewhere. I use my 32Sii and my 42s all of the time. They never miss keystrokes, but my 35s does way too often.

My original 35s had problems registering keystrokes, and I sent it back to HP. They grudginly sent me a new one, and it misses keystrokes too. When I called HP about it, they basically said too bad. I told them I would never buy another HP product again, that I would rather spend my money at ebay for older models that are of higher quality. HP didn't seem to care.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PRIME Lockup after pressing Enter key in Solver. Harold A Climer 13 3,653 10-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Tim Wessman
  Classic Series Enter Key Dan Lewis 15 4,208 12-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Thomas Radtke
  Tricky XP 34 S Enter key Christophe Dubreuil 2 1,183 08-21-2012, 05:41 AM
Last Post: Christophe Dubreuil
  ENTER^ is your friend Matt Agajanian 26 6,147 06-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Palmer O. Hanson, Jr.
  HP 15c question about [ENTER] nina scholz 5 1,773 03-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Last Post: M. Joury
  OT: Looking for 'ENTER' book Matt Agajanian 9 2,785 03-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  Most usable keystroke calculator? Sid Cave 32 7,107 01-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Last Post: Lutz Jacob
  WP 34S: a litlle matrix helper to enter and review matrices Miguel Toro 11 3,192 10-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Miguel Toro
  [edited] from the HHC email list, what is the proper answer to 8 ENTER 3 divide 2 divide on 10 digit calc Gene Wright 10 2,708 10-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Dieter
  HP12C with a "funny" ENTER key Cristian Arezzini 15 3,568 03-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Mike Morrow