O.T.? Carly's in the news again

Carly Fiorina was in the news again as a speaker at the Republican national convention. She was also mentioned in a recent article in The Economist which stated in part:

Quote:
Given Mr. McCain's weakness in this area [economic policy], his choice of economic advisors matters a lot. ... ... two other advisors, Carly Fiorina and Meg Whitman, are business people rather than economists. (Ms. Fiorina was the boss of Hewlett-Packard,a computer firm. Ms. Whitman used to run eBay, an on-line auctioneer.) Both are able in their field, but neither would give a McCain administration the necessary credibility on Wall Street. ...

The emphasis is mine. Clearly, the editors of The Econimist are not readers of this Forum.

Quote:
Clearly, the editors of The Economist are not readers of this Forum.

Nor are they users of HP calculators. Recall these sentences from their March 31, 2005 issue:

Quote:
If the board says no to a break-up, what can Mr Hurd do? One option, argues Mark Anderson, the president of Strategic News Service, a technology newsletter, is for him to persuade his new bosses “to decide unanimously that HP's future is in imaging.” That would include not only printing, but everything to do with capturing, transporting, storing and displaying pictures, for consumers and for companies. This has the advantage that it would give HP some focus (get rid of the calculators, say, and reinvest in digital projectors).

(emphasis mine)

Obviously, this paper is called "The Economist" and not "The Scientist" nor "The Engineer" ... so what do you expect?

Quote:
Obviously, this paper is called "The Economist" and not "The Scientist" nor "The Engineer" ... so what do you expect?

Walter:

When I read your comment it occurred to me that I had never noticed an advertisement from H-P in The Economist. I looked at three back issues from this past summer and didn't find any H-P ads. I did find ads from Dell, often on the back cover which I think usually carries a high price tag. Wouldn't it make sense for H-P to advertise their financial calculators in The Economist?

The September 1 issue of The New Yorker has a family-oriented ad from H-P with the message "PRINT FROM ANY ROOM, OR AGE, IN THE HOUSE. Live wirelessly. Print wirelessly."

That issue of The New Yorker was accompanied by Fall 2008 issue of Fashion Rocks. I was somewhat surprised to see an HP-Intel ad on the back cover. The ad shows an attractive young woman in a red dress sitting on the S key of an oversized QWERTY keyboard. The message is "FASHION MEETS TECHNOLOGY. STYLE.COM/GO/HP. The Computer is Personal Again."

I'm not sure what all this means, if anything at all, but to me it seems that H-P is pushing their technology into some interesting markets. There may some advantages in those markets. I'll bet the individuals in those markets don't exhibit irrational attachment to old ways of doing things -- the insistence of engineers and scientists on a double width ENTER key comes to mind.

Palmer

Palmer:

Quote:
... to me it seems that H-P is pushing their technology into some interesting markets. There may some advantages in those markets. I'll bet the individuals in those markets don't exhibit irrational attachment to old ways of doing things -- the insistence of engineers and scientists on a double width ENTER key comes to mind.

:) Perhaps these engineers and scientists just want to be taken as seriously as young ladies in red? (As you know, this is making a very long story very short ;)

Best regards,

Walter

Walter:

You wrote:

Quote:
:) Perhaps these engineers and scientists just want to be taken as seriously as young ladies in red? (As you know, this is making a very long story very short ;)

I suspect that the reason that we engineers and scientists aren't taken seriously may be that we don't always exhibit reasonable expectations. The later long thread on first impressions of the 20B is an example. I agree with the idea that there probably isn't a big enough market for the kind of scientific calculator that is frequently asked for by the participants in this forum. In contrast, I think that there is a nearly unlimited market for the kind of technology being sold in the advertisements in The New Yorker and Fashion Rocks. One proof of the perception of the large market is that those devices are sold by the mass marketing outlets such as Wal-Mart, Staples, Target, Office Depot and so on, on and on.

Palmer

Palmer:

Quote:
In contrast, I think that there is a nearly unlimited market for the kind of technology being sold in the advertisements in The New Yorker and Fashion Rocks. One proof of the perception of the large market is that those devices are sold by the mass marketing outlets such as Wal-Mart, Staples, Target, Office Depot and so on, on and on.

Very true! I think it all comes down to the concept of target markets. If you just want to produce goods for the crowd, a four-banger with chain logic will suffice, as included in every cheap cell phone today. If you are targeting educated professionals, you may need a different product. Even the late Soviet Union had some very good scientific calculators ;)

BTW & OT: Its the same story with magazines you mentioned ;)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trivial news of the 43S (no Prime) Walter B 117 28,706 11-22-2013, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Raymond Del Tondo
  News from the 43S Walter B 78 13,293 07-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Victor Koechli
  Great news - Vicinno's HP 15C Scientific Calculator iPhone app is FREE now John 21 5,909 06-07-2013, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Mike (Stgt)
  Good news for HP-emulator fans! :-) fhub 44 10,918 02-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  Some news for old HP emulator fans! ;-) Olivier De Smet 3 1,564 02-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Earl Kubaskie
  Sad news Eric Smith 7 2,521 02-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  Latest DIY calculator news Eric Smith 17 3,969 09-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Last Post: uhmgawa
  Good news :-) fhub 12 3,236 09-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Frank Boehm (Germany)
  News for HHC 2012 ? Patrice 1 1,036 06-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Namir
  HP71B News?? John W Kercheval 19 4,748 05-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Last Post: aurelio