Black Box Answers

Hi everybody...

I read some weeks ago (can't remember where), an inference to the TI-89 as a device which supplies "black box answers". Last week I downloaded a TI-89 emulator and have been dabbling with it. I will admit that it's implementation of AOS is quite good (better than other incarnations of AOS that I have used). For instance, when building an equation on the command line, one can venture up into the "history" stack as many time as needed to retrieve past items.
While looking at the graphing functions on the TI emulator, however, I think I may have found one of the "black box answers" referred to in the article I read. There is a "distance" function in the math menu of the graphing functions, which nicely gives the distance between 2 points on the graph. That would seem the be the end of it, however, (ie, the distance, the whole distance, and nothing but the distance) as I could see no way to get this figure out of the graphing environment, so it could be used in a follow on calculation. This would seem to hold true for the other graphing math functions as well.
By comparison, on an HP, there is no "distance" function, but of course distance is easily found by putting the cordinates of the 2 points on the stack and taking the difference, which gives a complex number that additionally contains direction as well (when viewed in polar form). This vector is now available on the stack, which is of course enormousley useful.

Before I pass jugement to quickly on this percieved black box functionality on the part of the TI, I thought I would tap the expertise which I know exists on this forum concerning some of the subtleties of running a TI-89 with the following question: Are the results obtained in the different environments on a TI-89 really as isolated (and seemingly unuseable in other applications) as it would seem, or am I missing a critical aspect of it's operation?

Hello!

Quote:
Are the results obtained in the different environments on a TI-89 really as isolated (and seemingly unuseable in other applications) as it would seem, or am I missing a critical aspect of it's operation?

I quote from the manual (awailable online via the TI-website): "Note: For Math results, cursor coordinates are stored in system variables xc and yc (rc and qc if you use polar coordinates). Derivatives, integrals, distances, etc., are stored in the system variable sysMath."

Greetings, Max

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to copy files from 9114B to hard drive via PIL-box? Joe Horn 23 10,026 12-14-2013, 11:57 PM
Last Post: Geoff Quickfall
  PIL-box w/o IL cable = paper weight Joe Horn 15 4,858 11-26-2013, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Les Wright
  HP PRIME - Bode and Black plots - first attempt dg1969 0 1,028 10-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Last Post: dg1969
  Box left at HHC Tim Wessman 1 1,571 09-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Wlodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz
  Creeping black pattern on HP-11C screen Larry Gagnon 6 2,017 04-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Peter Murphy (Livermore)
  Looking for scans of a HP-19c Box ledudu 5 2,100 01-20-2013, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Lode
  HP 48GX with Black LCD - S/N ID Jeff Kearns 4 1,748 12-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Last Post: aurelio
  Make PIL-Box ILPer program run on OS X Juergen Keller 6 2,140 09-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Hans Holzach
  Using PIL-BOX & ILPer to Transfer Programmes from PC to HP41CX? Michael Lopez 5 2,201 06-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Michael Lopez
  HP-IL: Using 82162A Printer and PIL-Box in Same Loop Les Wright 12 3,572 05-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Last Post: Les Wright