HP-16C : re-surfaced keys

I have noticed that some HP-16C calculators have keys that have been re-surfaced. With careful examination, it is possbile to read what was the former designation of the re-surfaced key. Reliable information about re-surfaced keys on the HP-16c will be appreciated.

After the Voyager series had been in production for a while, HP began to use keys that were originally made for one model by painting them over for a different model.

There are some discussions of this throughout the museum archives. Usually they aren't very comprehensive.

Here is one:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/archv018.cgi?read=134587

Here's another:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/archv004.cgi?read=6425

Edited: 1 Aug 2008, 3:58 p.m.

Interesting. How successful do you think we ("we" being the average person on the street) with doing something like this ourselves? I'm thinking specifically of the HP-20b. If we were able to reprogram the calculator, one of the last hurdles would be changing the labels on the newly re-programmed keys.

Anyone have an idea how feasible this would be? Or what equipment would be needed (I'm assuming that hand-painting isn't feasible... ;-).

thanks,
bruce

particular thanks to Ken Shaw and to Bruce Bergman for your responses to my posting .. Mikhael T

Quote:
If we were able to reprogram the calculator, one of the last hurdles would be changing the labels on the newly re-programmed keys.

"If we were able"? We *are* able to reprogram it. ;-)

BTW, did you save the clear static cling LCD film with the preprinted segments? I slapped mine on the back of the battery lid, and that sucker is stuck down nicely after a day or so. I'm just thinking out loud, but what if you could get that material screen printed and die cut to overlay the front of the calc? Might prove to be a bit soft when confronted with finger grime. Might be tough working the air bubbles out from under it too.

Quote:
Interesting. How successful do you think we ("we" being the average person on the street) with doing something like this ourselves? I'm thinking specifically of the HP-20b. If we were able to reprogram the calculator, one of the last hurdles would be changing the labels on the newly re-programmed keys.

I was just thinking about this the other day. How about if some enterprising individual could fashion a very thin plastic "key cap" with the shape of a 20b key which could somehow be labelled on top and in front? If each key cap sat down over a key and had a "lip" slightly protruding out just at the surface of the keyboard, then an adhesive overlay could be laid down over the calc surface for showing potential shifted markings above the key holes. If the holes for the keys were "tight" enough, the overlay would hold the key caps in place.

Jake

That would be awesome! How realistic is that? For all my acumen in things software, I know nothing about material construction. Heck, I was still in awe of the 3D printer that was demo'd at HHC2006! ;-)

If this is feasible, and the cost could be brought down to say $20 per set, maybe with some manual assembly required, I'd buy it.

Cool!

thanks,
bruce

82200A style touch pad? What about those clear flexible keyboard cover sheets that you can apply to PC keyboard used in industrial areas--can they be opaque and printed?

Any primary, secondary (and ternary etc.) functions may easily be printed on a single sheet of whatever flexible material you like. Assume this sheet has some appropriate cuts. It may then stick on the keyplate, and its lids will cover the slanted fronts of the keys as well as the keytops. I will post an illustrative drawing in the next edition of Datafile.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Broken keys on HP Prime? Tarcisi C 0 1,433 12-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Tarcisi C
  Bought a 16C to compensate a little Eelco Rouw 23 7,769 12-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Eelco Rouw
  HP 50g switching two keys in the user keyboard Sean Freeman 9 3,874 12-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Last Post: Mark Puscas
  Shiny new 16C! Keith Midson 7 2,494 10-27-2013, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Keith Midson
  [HP-Prime] off-center [0], ... [9] num keys CompSystems 1 1,230 10-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Han
  HP Prime - Home and CAS keys BruceH 0 930 10-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Last Post: BruceH
  HP Prime Tip: Setting Up User Keys Eddie W. Shore 2 1,504 09-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  Joys of eBay: HP-32S, HP-32SII, HP-42S, HP-16C, ... Sasu Mattila 7 2,462 09-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Julián Miranda (Spain)
  [HP-Prime] Lack of user soft keys Andy B (Australia) 1 1,134 08-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Last Post: Tim Wessman
  HP-16C simulator fhub 12 3,409 06-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Robert Prosperi