HP 50g won't turn on

Forgive me if this is not an appropriate forum for a question like this, but it was all I could find that seemed to be relevant to my situation at all.

I purchased an HP 50g calculator for one of my university classes about a year and a half ago, and used it moderately for the duration of the year. In that time the calculator worked fine, but near the end it started to show low battery alerts, and changing to fresh batteries would not resolve the problem. I ignored it, as the calculator seemed to work fine regardless. Now, I am unable to get the calculator to power on whatsoever, even removing the main and backup batteries and resetting will not allow the thing to turn on.

I'm wondering if anybody would have any suggestions as to what may have caused this problem. I require the calculator for my course, and would be very frustrated to have to buy a new one after only moderate use and a fairly short timespan. I am handy with a soldering iron, so even if it's a known hardware failure I would be able to open the device up and replace some components if needed.

Anybody have any idea what's going on?

Will it power up if USB connected?

Try posting here:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/topics

The unit will not power up when hooked up to USB either (it shows "USB device not recognized" on the host system when hooked up this way). Thanks for the link - I will try posting there.

That may be good news. Some sort of transaction may have taken place. If I plug my 50g in to my notebook nothing happens until I power it on. No detection at all.

If Windows does not recognize a device then it will not supply power to the device. Try a USB wall or car charger.

Edited: 13 Feb 2008, 8:51 p.m.

Hmm... I have tried the wall charger and still no go. I think I'm going to have to take the thing apart - but from what I've seen online HP has chosen probably the most painful configuration possible for somebody wishing to open the calculator. Not looking forward to it ;)

This may help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6GB2gmq1yE

Well, if anybody's interested I managed to get the calculator working again. I pulled the thing apart (a veritable nightmare, in fact) and after hooking up a standalone power supply to the unit I was able to get it to power on normally. Eventually I managed to get the unit back together and on battery power, although I didn't have to replace any components or such to fix it.

My assumption is either that something had happened to the reset button (it was all gummed up and jammed, and gave me problems when I tried to reassemble the unit, so I pulled it out), or some part of the absolutely excessive shielding in the unit ended up grounding against the PCB for the calculator at some point. Either way, I removed the reset button and the majority of the shielding, reassembled, and the unit is now working as good as new!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP Prime: Integrate Won't Integrate James Williams 17 4,394 11-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Last Post: CR Haeger
  HP Prime Save Power Turn Off Not Working Timothy Roche 12 4,076 10-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  HP Prime: Slow turn off Paul D. Fox 1 1,218 10-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Tim Wessman
  HP41 Card Reader won't read and write Bruce Larrabee 5 2,029 07-31-2012, 06:33 PM
Last Post: John Robinson
  HP48SX seems fully functional won't run SELF TESTS? Bruce Larrabee 5 1,945 07-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Luiz C. Vieira (Brazil)
  HP-67 won't run on batteries David Ramsey 5 1,895 04-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Last Post: David Ramsey
  Can't turn on HP 15C Laci 4 1,666 03-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Last Post: uhmgawa
  [WP34S] Mac OS Flashing Tool Won't Flash Les Wright 2 1,373 03-23-2012, 03:59 AM
Last Post: pascal_meheut
  41CL - Shut Off that Auto-Turn Off Frido Bohn 17 4,243 12-22-2011, 03:39 AM
Last Post: Frido Bohn
  HP won't fix PSE bug on 15CLE? MK-52 14 3,696 12-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore