HP-41 Skwid ROM manual addendum

Hello,

In one of the pictures of a recent auction, I read an interesting note that is not in my own Extended IL Rom module manual.

As it is a bit hard to decipher it on the auction picture, I took the liberty to re-type it here:

CORRECTION:

After EXT IL ROM was sent for manufacture the following
difficulty was found:

SNEWM The SNEWM function will not work correctly on a medium
which has not been previously formatted. The MEDM ERR
message will come up.

To get around this problem use the NEWM function in the
HP-IL module and then use SNEWM.

J-F

Edited: 15 Jan 2008, 3:42 p.m.

Hello Jean-Francois,

now that you mention it, that's exactly what I experienced with the SNEWM function in the past.

I had to format a bunch of 82176A tapes, but even with some new tapes, the SNEWM didn't reliably format the media.

So I tried with the normal IL module NEWM function back then, and reformatted with SNEWM after that, and it worked

in 100 percent of the cases. Took me hours to realize that not the medium or the drive was defective,

but the formatting function. I guess I didn't expect that from an HP-41 piece of software;-)

Raymond

Is there a copy of this Squid IL Rom available to load on to the MLDL2000? Does anyone have a copy of the manual?
Please let me know. Is this ROM image the same as the Extended IO Rom?
Jeff

Edited: 15 Jan 2008, 7:06 p.m.

I don't know if the ROM image is available at TOS.

However the Extended IL from Squid is a quite different beast than the Extended I/O module from HP.

The XIL is more intended for end users, whereas the XIO tends more to users who want to perform more special or exotic HP-IL tasks.

For those interested, I made a ROM called IL/X , which could be seen as kinda 'Best of both Worlds',

as it's a single 4K ROM implementing functions of both the XIL and XIO.

HTH

Raymond

Please share if you can.
Jeff

That would be fantastic to share. Also, I can provide a copy of the manual if needed if someone can help me out with Copyright laws etc - any issues?

Cheers

Peter

Hello,

those interested in getting a ROM image of the IL/X, just drop me a mail at:

M a g i c 4 8 g e s @ g m x . d e

I didn't publish it to TOS so far.

Originally I made a version which included the famous MCLIST/MCPRP code from the XIL,

but since I didn't use for about a decade, in the current version this code

has been removed to make room for some XIO/AutoDUP code,

like FLLENG, MCOPY, MVERIFY , and some completely different code, like SAVEROM, GETROM.

The latter two functions were included in the CCD OS/X before I reorganized that ROM.

Now the CCD OS/X implements the full version of CAT'4 from the CCD module,

so there wasn't enough room left for SAVEROM/GETROM in the OS/X...

Actually I made some more versions of the core IL/X, each one with a different emphasis.

I may also make a version which features INP/OUTP instead of MCOPY/MVERIFY,

or MCLIST/MCPRP again, it's all a matter of taste and available room;-)

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

I can not reach you by email, it seems your gmx server doesn't like me:

host mx0.gmx.net[213.165.64.100] said: 550-5.7.1 {mx020}
The recipient does not accept mails from 'wanadoo.fr' over foreign mailservers 550 5.7.1
Strange, isn't it? But I would be happy to get your IL/X ROM, for sure!

J-F

I actually got a similar bounce...

Hello,

hmmm, strange thing that some mail domains seem to be rejected by GMX.

@J-F: You have mail.

@PeterP: Please use my other mail address, or else leave your reply mail address here in coded form, so I can send you the archives to there.

Sorry for any inconveniences...

Regards

Raymond

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP-41(CL): The easiest way to transfer FOCAL programs from a Linux PC to the HP-41 Geir Isene 13 5,564 12-05-2013, 02:40 AM
Last Post: Hans Brueggemann
  HP85 Programmable ROM cardtridge 82929A-service ROM not working- inaki 2 1,839 04-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Last Post: inaki
  HP71B to HP 41 Translator ROM Manual Michael Lopez 5 2,059 04-25-2013, 03:51 AM
Last Post: Mike (Stgt)
  HP-41 ROM Polling Point at FF5 Dan Grelinger 2 1,323 01-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Monte Dalrymple
  shelf life time of a ROM, EEPROM, EPROM vs Mask Rom Guido (Canada) 6 2,913 01-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Thomas Falk
  Big ROM - 41 System DEMO ROM Ángel Martin 5 2,514 10-16-2012, 05:28 AM
Last Post: Ángel Martin
  HP-41 takeover ROM with Clonix-D Sylvain Cote 1 1,072 10-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Diego Diaz
  New 41 model to use rom of "big" program Olivier De Smet 4 1,637 10-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Brian Walsh
  HP-41 Quiz: How to pack 100k in ROM? (on-line) Ángel Martin 10 2,852 09-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Luiz C. Vieira (Brazil)
  HP 41 CL ROM List Gerry Schultz 2 1,180 05-23-2012, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Ángel Martin