HP85: NOS HP98200A sealed tapes... still useful?

Hello!

I have several NOS, still wrapped in plastic, HP98200A tapes... I wonder if they are still useful or I have just thrown my money :-(

My only experience with my recently received HP-85 has been, first, fixing the capstan (I used the shrink tube system), then finding that I could CAT some old tapes... then finding than I could not write on them (they gave errors on reading) and, finally, one tape destroyed my capstan repair (tape got stuck and capstan rubber was burned)

I will fix the capstan again but wonder if the 'new' tapes will be good or not. Should I do anything before trying them?

Regards,

JOSE
http://jvgavila.com

Hello!

Quote:
Hello!

I have several NOS, still wrapped in plastic, HP98200A tapes... I wonder if they are still useful or I have just thrown my money :-(

My only experience with my recently received HP-85 has been, first, fixing the capstan (I used the shrink tube system), then finding that I could CAT some old tapes... then finding than I could not write on them (they gave errors on reading) and, finally, one tape destroyed my capstan repair (tape got stuck and capstan rubber was burned)

I will fix the capstan again but wonder if the 'new' tapes will be good or not. Should I do anything before trying them?

Regards,

JOSE

Well, I did a check on one of the NOS tapes... and it had the usual damage on the contact area with the tensioner belt :-(. But, looking at how the system detects start of tape (by two spaced single holes), I wonder if I could just do new holes in the good tape zone, so I would not use the damaged section, as the rest of the tape seems ok... what do you think?

Regards,

JOSE

Jose,

New and old HP98200A tapes can sometimes made be usable again by 'backing' them in a hot-air oven.
You put them in the oven and set the oven on a temperature of 60-70 degrees Celcius and let them in for about 2 hours.
The hot temperature wil dehydrate the tape and loosen the transport belt from the tapes.
The other solution is to use DC100A from 3M or search the web for DECTAPE II from Digital.
Something else I use for the capstand repair Citroen hydraulic rubbers (green ones made for the DS) with I glue to the capstand and make them on the right diameter. The advantage of using these rubbers are more friction and less noise when winding or rewinding tapes.
And because there glued the won't run of the capstand when the tape stalls.

Rik

Hello Rick,

Quote:
Jose,

New and old HP98200A tapes can sometimes made be usable again by 'backing' them in a hot-air oven.
You put them in the oven and set the oven on a temperature of 60-70 degrees Celcius and let them in for about 2 hours.
The hot temperature wil dehydrate the tape and loosen the transport belt from the tapes.
The other solution is to use DC100A from 3M or search the web for DECTAPE II from Digital.
Something else I use for the capstand repair Citroen hydraulic rubbers (green ones made for the DS) with I glue to the capstand and make them on the right diameter. The advantage of using these rubbers are more friction and less noise when winding or rewinding tapes.
And because there glued the won't run of the capstand when the tape stalls.

Rik

OK, thanks for your hint!. I will try it as I have got some NIB tapes and want to use them.

Please, about the capstan repair, could you supply me and small piece of tube?. I have two tape units to fix. Of course, I would pay all expenses.

Thanks!

JOSE

Jose,

You can order them here 'http://www.citroworld.com/webshop.php?cat=85' you need the 4,5 mm LHM rubber.
I glue them with PU-glue after drying I cut away what's to much.
After that I put the motor in a spanner (so it's fixated) and connect it to a variable powersupply then grind the roll until it has the right diameter.
I use a very fine diamant grinding stone, but the use of fine (400-800) grindingpaper should work to.
One very important remark be sure to degrease everything very well before you glue the rubber.

Regards,
Rik

Hello Rik,

Quote:
Jose,

You can order them here 'http://www.citroworld.com/webshop.php?cat=85' you need the 4,5 mm LHM rubber.
I glue them with PU-glue after drying I cut away what's to much.
After that I put the motor in a spanner (so it's fixated) and connect it to a variable powersupply then grind the roll until it has the right diameter.
I use a very fine diamant grinding stone, but the use of fine (400-800) grindingpaper should work to.
One very important remark be sure to degrease everything very well before you glue the rubber.

Regards,
Rik

OK, thanks for the info!

You point out a very interesting thing... which is the right diameter?. Because when I got my tape units, capstan was just the metal part...

Thanks!

JOSE

EB5AGV WEB

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP-65 Video Tapes - Anyone have a Copy? Bill (Smithville, NJ) 3 1,749 10-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Last Post: Paul Berger (Canada)
  HP16C (NOS !!) Mike Powell 22 5,055 09-30-2013, 02:18 AM
Last Post: Paul Dale
  OT - Converting 9 track 6250 bpi tapes Marcel Samek 0 881 05-31-2013, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Marcel Samek
  HP85 tape reader; end of tape detection inaki 9 3,085 04-25-2013, 02:25 PM
  HP85 Programmable ROM cardtridge 82929A-service ROM not working- inaki 2 1,836 04-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Last Post: inaki
  HP85 Waveform Analysis inaki 1 1,067 04-23-2013, 01:20 PM
  Athana DC100A Tapes inaki 6 2,004 03-14-2013, 01:55 AM
Last Post: David Ramsey
  Authentic HP85 color? inaki 3 1,451 03-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Calum Tait
  Hp85 PRM-85 board Roe Peterson 2 1,281 12-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Roe Peterson
  held breath, found tapes & drive working Garth Wilson 9 3,038 06-12-2012, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Garth Wilson