Gene and Richard's HP-45s.

Virtualized..

Cheers, Pal

Edited: 19 Oct 2007, 7:59 p.m. after one or more responses were posted

Damn, that's nice!
Just what a good calculator should be - thin, no wasted space, high contrast keys, and a decent set of dedicated keys.

Dave.

Wow!!! Very nice model. I hope HP is listening (and watching)/

Good job!!!

Namir

Looks great, but Jake worked on this not Richard.

I could cry! This thing looks reeeeeeeeeal good! I'd even settle for a 3D non-working model.. :-)

Jake

Pretty, but I think you should flip the blue arrow around so it's pointing down.

-Jonathan

Jake,

Sorry I listed Richard as an author. I was working so hard I missed a fundamental.

Regarding a non-working 3d model, if you know anyone with a 3d printer I'll be more than happy to send you my CAD file.

:) Pal

I have a 3d printer at work. What type of 3D file do you have?

How large is it?

Gene

Our original design had them pointing up and down, not left and right. :-)

Um...

... how long is it? If it is as long as a 48G or 49G, it's too long!

Quote:
Um...

... how long is it? If it is as long as a 48G or 49G, it's too long!

Pioneer- (42s-)size -- possible by eliminating dead space above and below the display.

Same exact size as the 42s. Screen from the 48GX or 48GII fits. We measured it.

Impressive work, then!

WOW!

tm

...Now all that has to be added is the SD card slot and the USB port which we envisioned to be on one end or the other....but we never got as far as deciding exactly where.

Next, if a 3D model is built, perhaps we can recruit Eric Smith to do a PC board :-) Well, one can fantasize anyway....

Jake

I modeled it in AutoCAD 2007. The file size is 800k. I also exported an .STL file from AutoCAD, which came in at 1.54mb. (Both files combined into a single zip came to 973k).

I will email any of the above if you would like.

(If anyone is curious, the AutoCAD file is just a plain, grey, 3d model. All of the texturing, lighting, and final rendering was done in Lightwave).

Regards,

Pal

Ya, I cut a few corners to get the renderings done before the original hp 45s thread fell off the MoHPC forum horizon. Plus last week I wrote a 16 page paper on Itanium 2, and tomorrow I have a final. I probably should have waited a few weeks for school to calm down, but seeing the hp 45s pics motivated me.

As soon as I have time I will go and fix things on the hp 45s. Plus, I also happened to save that jpeg of the HP80B...

;) Pal

Hi Pal,

really great artwork! How many hours did it take you to make this?

@Gene & Jake:

Please look at both pictures. The beveled keys hide parts of the yellow labels. That's why I suggest labels printed below of the respective keys.

Best regards, Walter

They hide no more than any keys ever hid of functions written above them on the 11c, 12c, 15c, 16c, 41c, 67, 65, 22, 25, 27, 29, etc.

Above and below the keys worked fine for several generations of HP calculators and they would work fine on these models.

Any hiding of the yellow functions is from the translation to 3D modeling done very well but in a hurry.

Get an 11c, 12c, 15c, etc, and look at the yellow functions yourself. It works. :-)

Gene and Jake, this is in no way a criticism or anything negative, just I getting... wistful... but boy, if it looked like a Spice! I don't mind three shift keys and a myriad of functions. Oh, to have the heft and feel of a 34C in my hands again, to see it sitting squarely on my desk... albeit with a black LCD, green backgrounded display. Now, gentlemen, THOSE were keys!

But, hey, a Pioneer is a (very) close second in beauty, and looks more, well, "modern" maybe even futuristic in its own plain (which is very good) way. The Spice just looks more commanding and somehow, more powerful to me, without having to look like a graphing calculator.

Quote:
Any hiding of the yellow functions is from the translation to 3D modeling done very well but in a hurry.

Plus I think my buttons are a bit too tall. I used calipers for some measurements, but I eyeballed the buttons height.

@Walter: Here are some estimates..

AutoCAD: 1.5 hours.
Photoshop: 1.25 hours.
Lightwave (texturing, etc): 1.5 hours.
Lightwave (lights, camera, rendering): 2-6 hours.

Once the scene is done, I have fun rendering various angles, which takes time, so I'm doing other things during..

Thanks,
Pal

Hi all,

some remarks: First of all -- my post above was not intended to offend anybody, it was a mere suggestion to support the development of our dream calc.

Gene wrote:

Quote:
Above and below the keys worked fine for several generations of HP calculators and they would work fine on these models.

Gene, this is the best reason ever as you know for sure ;) Do you have a better offer?

Ed wrote:

Quote:
... but boy, if it looked like a Spice! I don't mind three shift keys and a myriad of functions. Oh, to have the heft and feel of a 34C in my hands again, to see it sitting squarely on my desk... albeit with a black LCD, green backgrounded display. Now, gentlemen, THOSE were keys!

Such drafts are available already. They were part of the documentation of HHC2007 and will show up on the DVD a latest. To give you an idea I'll upload a sample within the dimensions of the HP12C later today.

@Pal: You may get mail, if interested.

HTH, Walter

What a brutal thing to do! Showing what one desirer but can not get in colors and all. Whats next? An animated series about engineer Jim and his trusted HP-45s?

Actual I would not mind some more renderings, perhaps squarely from above and closer so easily can read and admire the labels... :-)

Edited: 20 Oct 2007, 5:57 a.m.

I think HP should hire Eric ... he will be an excellent resource for HP, assuming Eric is interested.

Namir

Hi Walter,

I'd be willing to create more virtual HP calculators, time permitting. Just let me know what you're thinking and I'll see what I can do.

I did rush this one a bit, but for the next one I'll create all the artwork labels myself, from scratch, in Photoshop.

I used Gene and Jake's original artwork out of respect for the time it took for them to create it ;)

Best regards,
Pal

Here you go, Arne..

I'd like to try putting them through our 3D printer.

Thanks!

Gene

Gmail or Hotmail?

I have both for you, but I haven't sent you anything lately.

hotmail please.

What would you pay for the "45s"?? Assuming there was an SD slot and I/R, I'd pay $200 without a second thought.

Quote:
What would you pay for the "45s"?? Assuming there was an SD slot and I/R, I'd pay $200 without a second thought.

$200 seems about right. double-shot keys, and etc? Probably have to be more.

What do you do with IR? Two-way to exchange with another calculator? One-way for printing?

Anybody have schematics and source code for PC IR interface to receive 'redeye' (28s, 17b)? I should play around with this old Extended Systems interface... I think it might do it.

sdb

email with attachments sent @ 13:47 PDT.

Hi all,

here we are. This draft is within Voyager dimensions. Keys are of HP-15C. There are 8 softkeys in the top row. Let's call it HP-15CX. Please apologize for the poor graphics.

Of course, a similar draft can be made using the LCD of a HP-40G. You find it here. Just call it HP-15CG. Also this stays within the dimensions of a HP-12C.

Best regards,

Walter

Edited to include the second draft.

Edited: 21 Oct 2007, 6:44 p.m. after one or more responses were posted

Now that's very nice indeed!
As always, the key layout will be the controversial thing I suspect, so I'll have my 2 cents worth.
I'd love a non-programming version with more dedicated scientific function keys. Given that it has a nice looking menu system, you could probably drop the 2nd yellow shift key. That wouldn't make it as "busy", and you gain an extra key.

Dave.

Thanks :-), hope you get a call from HP soon them asking how much your design gonna cost them!

Walter,

VERY nice concepts. I'll get started right away.

Cheers,
Pal

For sake of clarity, this is the second draft:

WOOOW, that' my new favorite calculator. I take one 15CX and one 15CG!!!! Just GREAT!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gene, are you out there? Dieter 8 2,261 10-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dieter
  Question to Eric Rechlin & Gene Wright about HP30b/30b repurposing at HHC2012 Namir 2 1,231 08-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Namir
  Programming cable for hp-30b -> wp-34s Open letter to Gene Nigel Rowe 37 9,407 08-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Last Post: Guy Dufour
  Re: Richard Nelson's pictures of the 4 HP 15c versions Frido Bohn 0 938 02-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Frido Bohn
  Re: Richard Nelson's pictures of the 4 HP 15c versions DaveJ 1 1,053 02-27-2012, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Jeff O.
  Re: Richard Nelson's pictures of the 4 HP 15c versions uhmgawa 0 815 02-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Last Post: uhmgawa
  Richard Nelson's pictures of the 4 HP 15c versions Gene Wright 17 4,167 02-25-2012, 07:34 AM
Last Post: robert rozee
  Paging Gene David Griffith 0 717 12-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Last Post: David Griffith
  Engineering done right: Gene Kranz Don Shepherd 2 1,119 05-25-2011, 08:09 AM
Last Post: David Hayden
  HP-45S ? Is there a new model ? Karl-Ludwig Butte 1 940 10-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Walter B