Got 50G. Now what do I do?

Well it looks like I have an actual collection starting. Bought a 17BII+, promptly found this site, and discovered I couldn't stop my Amazon shipment. Had the bug for a calculator with all the bells and whistles and bought the 50G (with some Amazon store credits it was acually pretty cheap). Well I gotta say it's got more bells and whistles than I could ever hope for. But being the self-aggrandizing individual I am I can't very well send it back (or to anyone else, so don't ask).

So now what do I do? I would love to learn how to program the beast (er, device), even with basic business stuff beyond TVM. But I have no clue where to go to get references. Anyhow any clues as to where I can go to get more info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'd recommend, only after truly getting the hang of it with the user's manual, to look up or download the HP-48G Series Advanced User's Reference Manual, or AUR, as we lovingly call it here (one site I know it's available on: http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/docs/misc/hp48gaur.zip).

This great manual originally from HP was the way I learned anything at all about (user) RPL programming and much fuller use of my 48G and 48G+. (As it turns out, RPL programming is somewhat intuitive, if you've had any experience with any computer programming language.)

Having a book-form copy is much better, in my opinion, and it appears to still be available from www.calcpro.com for $30 USD. (Same as I paid for it from there a few years ago!)

Edited: 9 Aug 2007, 10:01 p.m.

I agree with the last post. I still use my 48 AUR. I also picked up a guide book on plotting and graphics years ago that was helpful. It's on my desk at work so I can't help much on the title.

I prefer the book over the PDF version because it seems more handy to me.

Spend some time at hpcalc.org, here and comp.sys.hp48 for lots of info.

I think based on my observations the HP users community has a better defined base of people and sites for information. For the other calculators the people are helpful but there isn't much substance there beyond flashy websites and games.

HP has a new AUR for the 49G and 48GII posted on their website which I think is closer to the 50G than the AUR for the 48G/GX.

I'm not too sure, although I confess I haven't seen it, that this newer 49G AUR is as comprehensive or complete with respect to its coverage of RPL programming as the older 48G Series one.

I dowloaded a copy of it but for some odd reason in my little mind I like a hard copy book. I'm odd that way. Tried reading E-books several times before but like real paper.

There is an excellent "tutorial" book on ebay; I cannot remember the name of the author, but it is usually posted for sale there, for about $20 I believe. I will try to find out the particulars and post them here, though you could go to ebay and do a search for it. It was originally meant for the HP48 series, but it is very good for the 50 also. I have a copy also, so I can find out the information from there, as soon as I find it (it got "put away" somewhere devious when we moved last fall.....)