Red light left of display on Spice (32E)

Hello to all,

I have a great working 32E, at least it holds charge with a brand "from the HP factory" battery.

But there's also this annoying strong red light on the left of the display that remains lit all the time.

I've tried to cruise in the archive but I certainly didn't look properly.

Can anybody help?

Thanks,
Olivier

Is it a dot on the upper left?

I think that is the lowbat warning.

Perhaps the pack is not as good as it seems

I use standard size NiMH AAs in my 33C and 34C, with a thin strip of aluminum foil on the right to complete the circuit. Works fine, though inserting and removing cells needs to be done carefully since the fit is snug and the contacts can flatten and break.

Les

Quote:
Is it a dot on the upper left?

I think that is the lowbat warning.

It must be that but the calc remains online however...

Hi,

I was the lucky recipient of a great-looking 33E that I got from a colleague at work a couple of years ago - for free. It had no batteries nor charger and one of the battery contacts needed to be soldered. I purchased a set of rechargeable batteries (cannot recall which type and I have not opened it to find out) and a charger on eBay, then I soldered the contact and the unit has worked flawlessly ever since.

It does have the red LED dot to the upper left of the display - but only when it is on batteries. The batteries have lasted for months between charges (intermittent use) and appear to be of good quality. I just thought it was a battery power indicator rather than low-bat.

Jeff

I've noticed when using my own SPICE series calculators that although they continue to function normally the low battery indicator can come on very soon after recharging when Ni-MH batteries are used. I haven't even thought about timing it but the low battery indicator doesn't seem to come on as soon when using Ni-Cad batteries, however these don't last nearly as long.

Although the nominal voltage of both type of cell is 1.2 volts I suspect that there is a small, but important, difference in the output voltage or impedance of these two different types of cell.

Can any one shed any more light (pun unintended) on this...

Mike T.

There might be something to your observation. I notice the indicator, at times, but not all the time since I have been using nickel metal hydride batteries in my 31E. It works with no problems. Of course I don't use it that much but I haven't had to recharge the batts so far.
tm

Just to put it back together:

I'm using original new-in-box HP batteries, freshly recharged although they can be defective.

The light is on whether it's on battery or charger, no difference.

Edited: 27 June 2007, 1:29 p.m.

Hi, Olivier --

Quote:
I have a great working 32E...

Aaugh! Please don't use the favorite English phrases of "Coburlin"! :-)

You have a "32E that works fine", apparently. No greatness beyond 100% proper functionality is possible.

Quote:
...at least it holds charge with a brand "from the HP factory" battery.

I'm using original new-in-box HP batteries, freshly recharged although they can be defective.

Well, HP hasn't made Spice-series batteries for many years, so I'd say that never-used genuine-HP NiCd batteries are rather old, and are probably questionable due to chemical breakdown. They might appear to hold a charge, but will lose it quickly.

You should probably unwrap the battery pack, replace the old NiCd cells with fresh new 1.2V short cells (no + post), and re-tape.

If the battery terminals are already broken, you can squeeze in longer 1.2V NiMH cells with + posts that are rated 2000 mAh, jumpering the two cells with aluminum foil. These cells will go longer between chargings than NiCd cells.

-- KS

Edited: 28 June 2007, 2:32 a.m.

Quote:
You should probably unwrap the battery pack, replace the old NiCd cells with fresh new 1.2V short cells (no + post), and re-tape.

If the battery terminals are already broken, you can squeeze in longer 1.2V NiMH cells with + posts that are rated 2000 mAh, jumpering the two cells with aluminum foil. These cells will go longer between chargings than NiCd cells.

Hello Karl,

I've done that on other Spices and it works well. However, I didn't suspect the genuine HP packs because they work in other calcs in my collection.

Anyway, I think I'll follow your advice, too bad for the brand "new" HP batteries.

Edited: 28 June 2007, 11:51 a.m.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another HP 35 Red Dot on eBay Michael de Estrada 5 2,361 11-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Last Post: aj04062
  Box left at HHC Tim Wessman 1 1,570 09-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Wlodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz
  Light spectrum on HP Prime Mic 2 1,207 09-19-2013, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Mic
  Any 30b cables left? patryk 7 2,395 09-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  CLASSIC/SPICE KEY LEGENDS Mike T. 2 1,367 08-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Mike T.
  HP-25 left on for a long, long, while Matt Agajanian 12 3,521 04-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Last Post: Steve Leibson
  HP Spice Legacy in the former CCCP (MK-61) Mike Morrow 17 4,452 04-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Last Post: db (martinez, ca.)
  Calculators usable in dim light Marcel Samek 10 2,728 03-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  Any Southern California HP Calculator clubs left? Jedidiah Smith 7 2,228 02-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Jedidiah Smith
  One parking lot left ... Walter B 83 15,903 12-14-2012, 01:44 AM
Last Post: Walter B