A MoHPC's 9114 Repair Manual?

Hi,

I (and my 9114) have tremedously benefited from the collective knowledge around the 9114 that can be found in the archives here as well as active contributers (in particular Tony Duell in my case). Given that the 9114 is a subject that appears a few times every year I thought of trying to create a document that combines at least a large set of the knowledge found here. It could provide a starting point for most questions with regards to the 9114. Please find a first rough draft of this document at this link . I have tried to cover the subjects which appear most often. For each tid-bit of collected information I have provided a foot-note with a link to the thread where the information was gleaned from. Naturally it has a section at the end giving credit to the people who provided those tid-bits (or truck-loads) of information over the years.

One question in particular to Tony Duell: I have a reference to your datafile article on how to clean the 9114. Yet as it is your article I was unsure if you would want it included in the document, so I have not included its contents as of now (and a link to it is AFAIK not available). It has been invaluable to my cleaning efforts yet if you prefer to not have it as part of a larger document, maybe the articles section of this site might be a very good place as well (that is how I have linked in the information from Steve's article into the document. Via a link to the article section here)

If the community thinks that this is a worth-while undertaking I would greatly appreciate some feedback and error detection on the document. After it went through a few iterations and the community thinks it is a useful document we could send it to David and suggest to add it to the article section.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Peter

Hi, Peter;

I opened the document and it looks perfectly fine,well organized and consistent. I just missed the links in some references, e.g., p.02 , item 'i', were one reads this store. I could not find were it points to. Other references, with complete www address, work fine.

I opened the pdf with Acrobat Reader 7. Should I use another, upgraded version?

Congrats! I think that this sort of document, written by members, should become a common sense.

Best regards and thanks. (I was gifted a complete, perfect 9114B by one of our contributors about two years ago, and it is working pretty fine, so far... cannot help expressing him my thankfulness every time I mention this fact).

Luiz (Brazil)

Edited: 28 May 2007, 9:25 p.m.

Quote:
One question in particular to Tony Duell: I have a reference to your datafile article on how to clean the 9114. Yet as it is your article I was unsure if you would want it included in the document, so I have not included its contents as of now (and a link to it is AFAIK not available). It has been invaluable to my cleaning efforts yet if you prefer to not have it as part of a larger document, maybe the articles section of this site might be a very good place as well (that is how I have linked in the information from Steve's article into the document. Via a link to the article section here)

I have no objection to the article appearing in the document, provided I get credit for it. Perhaps as a separate section (appendix?) with 'Tony Duell's DataFile article' as a title.

How you get the article is another matter. I can easily provide you with the plain text version of the textual part (just e-mail me). But I don't have a fast net connection, so I can't do the photos. Perhaps Bruce Horrocks (HPCC editor) can provide you with the article.

I have now discovered there's a second version of the eject mechanism, which seems to have come in about the time of the FC16 PCB (old drives have an FC9 PCB). It doesn't come apart so completely, the linkages are rivetted to the chassis parts. So there's less to take off, but cleaning the old grease out is harder.

I have no idea if it ever turned up in the 9114A, though.

I did take one of these apart and photograph it, and was planning on writing a second article covering that. Unfortunately, due to, how shall I say, disagreements withing HPCC, I don't know if/when I'll bother to write it, or indeed if it will ever be published.

Hmm, yes I gathered from some in-between-the-lines reading some slight discontent, I'm very sorry.

I have included your article as an apendix, it is also mentioned in the opening paragraph

Quote:
The appendix contains the full document from Tony Duell with pictures on how to clean the 9114.

The watermark for a test-version is there only temporary, before sending it on its way I will have found a way to remove it :-)

Luiz, thank you for your kind information with regards to the links, I believe I have fixed that. My appologies for this.

Please let me know what you think and if you believe it is a worth while submission to the article section.

Cheers

Peter
PS: The link is still the same. The MoHPC 9114 Repair Manual

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HPSWAP Archive and the 9114 Dave Frederickson 0 997 12-01-2013, 01:43 AM
Last Post: Dave Frederickson
  Greetings to all (old and new) MoHPC members! HrastProgrammer 9 2,802 11-30-2013, 04:58 AM
Last Post: HrastProgrammer
  9114 drive "rod knock"? BobVA 2 1,114 10-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Last Post: BobVA
  MoHPC - 15C | 15C LE update? DigiGal 3 1,279 11-30-2011, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Walter B
  HP 9114 disk drive battery charging David Ramsey 8 2,351 05-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Last Post: David Ramsey
  EMU41, Hdrive1 and a 9114 Gerry Schultz 11 2,814 08-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Last Post: J-F Garnier
  Plug for the MoHPC forum: 72 hours in a day DaveJ 10 2,569 04-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Last Post: DaveJ
  MoHPC Version 7 DVD release date? Michael de Estrada 1 911 03-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Dave Hicks
  How to care for 9114 batteries? Steve (Australia) 0 790 02-22-2009, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Steve (Australia)
  Update on my 9114 repairs in 2000 Steve (Australia) 0 803 02-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Last Post: Steve (Australia)