Will these batteries damage my HP 50g??

I want to switch my batteries in my 50g because I don't want them to run out on test day. It is okay if I make a switch like this right? Will my memory be erased?

The batteries that I'm planning on switching over to are different that the ones I have in my calc now. They are TITEN (no mercury added) Super Heavy Duty R03P/SUM-4/1.5V -0% mercury and cadmium battieres. These won't be bad or damage my calculator will it?

The reason I'm asking is that I saw a couple of posts about concerns about batteries. Thanks.

As long as your backup battery isn't dead (which it shouldn't be since your calc is new) you can replace the batteries with whatever you'd like.

I'd recommend just keeping the 4 batteries in your bag and replacing them during the test if you get a low battery warning. No need to do it sooner.

TW

In devices like calculators, alkaline batteries will generally last longer than "super heavy duty" (zinc-carbon) batteries. But either should work fine.

Rechargeable NiCd or NiMH batteries should work well in the 50g also, however since it is designed for alkalines, you might not get as much low-battery warning.

Quote:
I want to switch my batteries in my 50g because I don't want them to run out on test day. It is okay if I make a switch like this right? Will my memory be erased?

The batteries that I'm planning on switching over to are different that the ones I have in my calc now. They are TITEN (no mercury added) Super Heavy Duty R03P/SUM-4/1.5V -0% mercury and cadmium battieres. These won't be bad or damage my calculator will it?

No they won't, they are completely compatible, but there is no reason to use them over better quality Alkalines.
"Super heavy duty" batteries are lower capacity and won't last as long as Alkaline.

Dave.

This is yet another good juncture for me to sing the praises of rechargeables in HP49 series.

I invested in set of 1000 mAh NiMH Duracells and quick charger for my 49G+. I also routinely and quickly back up my home directory and flag settings to an older SD card--at 128MB too small to be useful in many other devices, but positively huge as far as the 49G+ is concerned.

My 49G+ sat mostly unused for almost a year since I disliked to expense and waste of it gobbling alkaline batteries--certainly unlike anything I had ever encountered with my 48G. But recently, the HP49G+ has got routine and extensive use--so much so that the infamous and unpopular gold paint job (which I actually find strangely appealing) is beginning to wear and pit around the edges of the keyboard. Indeed, in recent weeks it has become my favourite calculator and I am spending more time trying to master UserRPL instead of more familiar RPN keystroke programming.

The old wisdom was that rechargeables were unsuitable for these calculators for fear that the would conk out without adequate warning and you would lose memory. But NiMHs are actually pretty good these days. And, at least in my 49G+, the back up wafer cell seems just fine to preserve memory while the batteries are out the 10 minutes it takes to recharge them.

In an examination setting you may want to carry a backup set of batteries with you in any case, no matter what kind of cells you use.

As for preserving your memory, this is certainly one of the areas where the 49 series tower over their older predecessors. The smaller SD cards have become so inexpensive these days that I think that there is no good reason for any serious user of the 49G+ or 50G not to have one in the calculator at all times. It is so quick to and straightforward to back up the HOME directory and flag settings that I have a little program to do it that I run out of habit several times the calculator is on and almost always just before a finish a session with it. Backing up the calculator state of the HP41 requires a card reader, 11 magnetic cards, a few minutes, adequate batteries, and plenty of concentration lest the cards get mixed up. And you can't even back up the memory of the much-celebrated 15C and 42S.

Les

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP 50g : More on best rechargeable batteries Miguel Toro 1 1,715 12-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Last Post: David Hayden
  [WP-34S] Unfortunate key damage with update to V3 :( svisvanatha 5 3,127 12-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Les Bell
  HP 50g : Best rechargeable batteries ? Miguel Toro 14 4,613 11-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Dieter
  Storing HP-42S without batteries Yriarte 4 1,680 10-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Last Post: walter b
  HP-12C batteries Yriarte 4 1,828 10-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Yriarte
  BATTERIES' SWAP ON HP 48GX aurelio 7 2,527 10-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Last Post: aurelio
  HP-67 won't run on batteries David Ramsey 5 1,895 04-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Last Post: David Ramsey
  N batteries for HP 41's WaltMaken 17 4,538 01-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Last Post: Håkan Thörngren
  HP 50g trilogy. The new HP 50g Blue (and II) Pablo P (Spain) 18 5,018 09-19-2011, 03:08 AM
Last Post: BruceH
  HP 28S saw 36V versus 4.5V, damage and repair? Joshua Keena 4 1,405 09-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Last Post: Joshua Keena