AME Port Extender

I have recently acquired one AME port extender for the HP41 unfortunately with no documentation, and that's what I'm inquiring about. Does anyone have any information on this item.

Thanks in advance

What do you need to know? I have one of these units, no manual, but I traced out the schematic and it's really simple.

A few things to get you started :

It plugs into any port on any HP41. It ignores the select lines on the port.

There are DIP switches at the front to enable/disable slots 1-6 and switches on the side to select which port slots 5 and 6 act like.

The 4 slots labelled 1 2 3 and 4 act like the corresponding ports on the HP41. So you can't have a ROM module in Port 1 of the HP41 and Port 1 of the extender (well, not unless one takes the high half of the page, the other the low half). You could have, say, an HPIL module in port 1 of the HP41 and a ROM module in port 1 of the extender without problems

The 2 slots labelled 5 and 6 can be set using 2 DIP switches each to act like any of the 4 ports on the HP41. Since you can use the front swtiches to enable/disable a particular slot, you could put a ROM module in slot 1, and in slot 5 (set to slot 1) provided only one is enabled at a time.

I forget what slot 7 is. I think it's another Port 4 by default, but you can add a couple of wires inside the extender to make it controllable by the last 2 (normally unused) DIP switches.

You can put a PX28 battery inside the extender to maintain the contents of RAM (HP41C memory modules, extended memory modules) when you unplug the extender from the HP41. There's a toggle switch that turns on an LED when pushed one way if that battery is good. Pushed the other way it checks the HP41's batteries.

Let me know what else you need to know

Thanks for the info. I tried out the unit by plugging it into port 4, the other three ports were taken up by the following: Quad memory, X functions, Math1.

When I plugged the unit in and turning the calculator on the display was corrupted so I immediately turned it off and unplugged the extender. Turning the calculator back on resulted in "Memory Lost" displayed where by hitting R/S would bring me into PRGM mode, in the end I had to disconnect the batteries to restore the 41.

The extender's configuration is as follows:

A. I replaced the A544 battery and performed the battery test = OK
B. The DIP switches on the bottom of the unit were configured with
6 = on, 5 = on, 4-1 off
C. The DIP switches on the side of the unit were configured with
1-4 = on, 5-6 = off (ON = number depressed..right) This corresponds to what I ascertained from the description on the case as the proper configuration to enable ports 5 and 6 while having the unit plugged into port 4 of the HP41.

The result after the extender was plugged in and a Circuits I module plugged into port 5 was that the 41 wouldn't turn on, removing the extender resulted in having to go through the restore method described above.

Looking back on your response, I'm beginning to think that you cannot have any modules plugged into the 41 since the extender ignores the port lines as you indicated, is this true?

Either I must be seriously doing something wrong (most likely) or the extender is malfunctioning (not much there). Again I appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Edited: 20 Apr 2007, 10:25 a.m.

I had a Port-X-Tender years ago. It sounds like you have a port sharing problem. Remove the Math Module and try it again. If it works without the Math Module in, then plug the Math Module into one of the X-Tender ports and run a catalog 2 to see if the module shows up for use. I remember I ran into a port sharing problem and had to block that port on the X-Tender from being shared with the dip switches.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I tried out the unit by plugging it into port 4, the other three ports were taken up by the following: Quad memory, X functions, Math1.

When I plugged the unit in and turning the calculator on the display was corrupted so I immediately turned it off and unplugged the extender. Turning the calculator back on resulted in "Memory Lost" displayed where by hitting R/S would bring me into PRGM mode, in the end I had to disconnect the batteries to restore the 41.

The extender's configuration is as follows:

A. I replaced the A544 battery and performed the battery test = OK
B. The DIP switches on the bottom of the unit were configured with
6 = on, 5 = on, 4-1 off
C. The DIP switches on the side of the unit were configured with
1-4 = on, 5-6 = off (ON = number depressed..right) This corresponds to what I ascertained from the description on the case as the proper configuration to enable ports 5 and 6 while having the unit plugged into port 4 of the HP41.

No. What that has done is make ports 5 and 6 both act like (IIRC) port 4. There is no reason why you have to have those 2 slots set to port 4 if you plug it into port 4.

Quote:

The result after the extender was plugged in and a Circuits I module plugged into port 5 was that the 41 wouldn't turn on, removing the extender resulted in having to go through the restore method described above.

Looking back on your response, I'm beginning to think that you cannot have any modules plugged into the 41 since the extender ignores the port lines as you indicated, is this true?

No. The RAM modules (normal and extended), HPIL module, printer, timer module all have their own spaces in the memory map and will never conflict with ROM modules. So unless your maths and circuits modules ended up in the same port, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Quote:

Either I must be seriously doing something wrong (most likely) or the extender is malfunctioning (not much there). Again I appreciate any advice.

Thanks

It's always possible there's a broken wire in the cable, or dirty contacts somewhere...

Quote:
The RAM modules (normal and extended), HPIL module, printer, timer module all have their own spaces in the memory map and will never conflict with ROM modules.

In more detail:

The 82106A memory modules and 82170A quad memory module must not be used on a 41CV or 41CX, which already contain the full complement of normal memory. Only one 82170A may e used on the 41C, and may not be combined with any 82106A modules.

The 82180A extended function/memory module and 82182A time module must not be used on a 41CX, which already incorporates their functionality.

No more than two 82181A extended memory modules may be used, and if one is plugged into an even port, the other must be plugged into an odd port. On a 41C or 41CV, the 82181A is generally only useful if you also install an 82180A.

Only one printer may be used. The 82143A printer and 82442A IR printer module cannot be used together. If either is used with an HP-IL module, the switch on the HP-IL module must be set to disable the HP-IL printer functions.

The service ROM will not work with an HP-IL module with printer functions disabled, because disabling the printer functions moves them to page 4, which is where the service module is addressed.

Hi Mike,

I am the author of the AME Port X Tender manual and I believe I still have some hard copies remaining. If you'd like one, I would be glad to mail it to you. Just send me email with your address.

Jake Schwartz

Hi Jake,

I really appreciate your offer my address is mgeorge2ATstny.rr.com I think at this point I'm in need of RTF :) again thanks for offering the manual, and for all the replies back. This is an excellent forum for enthusiast/support.

Mike

Hello Mike,

I have one of these. Presently I do not have the manual at hand (I am at work, away from home)but do remember a couple things.

It is supposed to connect in Port 3. You can activate ports 1 through 4 of the Port Extender using the DIP switches, which gives you access to multiple modules through Port 3. Ports 5 and 6 can behave like the 41's Ports 1 through 4 by toggling the DIP switches on the right side of the extender. Care must be taken with this; otherwise the 41 will crash.

A typical configuration can be two Extended Memory modules in Ports 1 and 2, an Application Pac (for instance, the Advantage Pac) on Port 3. CAT 2 will report the Pac and you will have 600 Extended Memory registers. I use an HP-41C with a Quad Memory Module on Port 1, Extended Memory/Functions Module on Port 2, the Port Extender with the above mentioned modules on it, and a Card Reader.

Port 7 is used to plug in the 82143A printer, the 82153A Wand or the HP-IL Module. I do not remember how to enable it but it has to do with the front DIP switches.

Hope this helps.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP-41 module covers and side port cover Nate Martin 1 1,486 12-02-2013, 01:51 AM
Last Post: Giancarlo
  Yet another benchmark port on the wiki: Savage Pier Aiello 35 9,363 09-26-2013, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Pier Aiello
  HP 50G serial port programming Chris Smith 2 1,361 06-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Chris Smith
  OT: RPN port to Casio fx-cg10/20? Matt Kernal 4 1,911 04-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Last Post: hugh steers
  HP-42S with Electroluminescent screen and simple I/O port Jose Poyan 8 2,637 03-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Jose Poyan
  AME Design Port Extender for the HP41 Dane Spillers 2 1,326 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Last Post: dane spillers
  HP 30b serial port pinout xset 5 1,906 09-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Last Post: Walter B
  [41CL] Alternative serial connector, saving a port Kerem Kapkin (Silicon Valley, CA) 24 6,557 07-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Last Post: aurelio
  41CL Serial Port Transfer John Abbott (S. Africa) 8 2,554 06-08-2012, 04:01 AM
Last Post: Frido Bohn
  WP 34S - Successful installation of infrared port Gerson W. Barbosa 7 2,439 06-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Gerson W. Barbosa