48GX button is stuck

My professor and I were crunching some numbers, he hit the "+" key, and it got stuck in the down position. Does anyone know how to remedy this situation?

Quote:
My professor and I were crunching some numbers, he hit the "+" key, and it got stuck in the down position. Does anyone know how to remedy this situation?

Since I lack anything useful to say, I'll just note, in passing, that this is why it's better to "massage" the numbers than to "crunch" them.

Ask any statistician.

Quote:

Since I lack anything useful to say, I'll just note, in passing, that this is why it's better to "massage" the numbers than to "crunch" them.

Ask any statistician.

Yeah, that was a pretty useless comment, Dave.

Not sure if this will be much more useful than Dave's comment, but, since none of the experts have chimed in, I'll tell you what I know.

The hp48 keyboard is formed as bunch of domes in a plastic sheet. When you press a key, the dome below it collapes and a conductive coating on the bottom of the dome makes contact with a circuit below. It sounds like you have a permanently collapsed dome, which is most likely not repairable. If you want to try, a detailed description of how to open the 48 can be found by clicking on this link. For repair tips and a description of keyboard construction, click here.

Or maybe the key is just stuck down with some gunk, in which case rinsing and/or ultrasonic cleaning with distilled water has been discussed here a few times in the past, search the archives.

A couple of months back I got a 48GX which had an ON key stuck down and I was not able to move it whatsoever.
Later I noticed that the metal bezel around this key was a little loose and bent up so I managed to push it down while playing with the key and then it was finally free.
The glue under the lower left corner of the bezel was probably gone... Since the + key is in the lower right corner you could check for a similar problem.

Just my 2ยข

Greetings,
Massimo

I have seen this, too. Straightened up the mtal, and freed the key.

Thanks so much, Jeff, Massimo, and Ron. You gave a lot of great tips and I'll probably try out some of the less-complicated ones this weekend. Hopefully, just the metal is off-center!

Natan

The problem was indeed the metal bezel holding down the bottom of the "+" button. I'm trying to think exactly how that could have happened. Maybe the calc got shifted around in a funny way in my bookbag (even though I always keeping it in the case - with the quick guide inside facing the keys for extra protection).
Here's what's bothering me: I lifted up the lower right corner of the bezel to unstick the key - which worked. However, replacing the bezel sticks the key again. Must I therefore always leave the corner sticking up? Mind you, it sticks up enough only to be level with the plastic shell, but that condition seems like it might lend itelf to some other problem down the road.
Nonetheless, I'm happy to have my calc workinging again without spending any money, and a very small amount of time!

By the way: This is a minute point, but my calc is a 48SX, not a GX.

Trying to pull the metal back down generally ends in disaster. I've found you can carefully shave the metal away at the bottom to enlarge the opening. A new #11 X-Acto blade works well but you must do this with the plate lifted away from the calculator and be *very* careful not to allow the blade to go past the metal and hit the key. If you hit the key hinge at the bottom (which is obscured by the plate), the + key will become loose and eventually you'll end up with a dead, non-repairable calculator. You also need to keep the shavings out of the keyboard. It takes a steady hand.

The usual cause for the damage is from the calculator having been dropped on the corner. SX's and GX's are for almost all purposes, identical, at least mechanically.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP Prime: the drama of the Apps button, shutdown, formatting, nothing solves Davi Ribeiro de Oliveira 0 1,092 11-17-2013, 07:23 AM
Last Post: Davi Ribeiro de Oliveira
  HP Prime: the drama of the Apps button, shutdown, formatting, nothing solves Davi Ribeiro de Oliveira 1 1,331 11-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  ENG button (like Casio calculators) on HP Prime uklo 3 1,957 11-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Last Post: LHH
  How to create a touch button [HP Prime] uklo 1 1,212 11-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  HP Prime touch button SanS 3 1,501 10-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Han
  Stuck Omnibook 300 pop-out mouse. Ideas? Gene Wright 5 1,913 07-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Bill (Smithville, NJ)
  HP 39gii Stuck Again! Eddie W. Shore 3 1,304 03-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  best button cell batteries JDonley 6 2,072 01-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Last Post: JDonley
  Sharp PC-1500 question (F2 button disabled?) LHH 7 2,150 12-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Last Post: LHH
  Zinc-Air PR44 button cell batteries Basil 3 1,399 08-25-2012, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany