HP-41C Podcast!

Here's something different and sort of entertaining. Earl, are you on this forum?

Thanks for the link Katie!

Quite refreshing...

Massimo

He got it all mostly right, too.

Someone ought to send him a wand as a belated Christmas present. (I'm not volunteering mine. 8)

Regards,
Howard

Cool stuff:-)

Many Thanks!

Raymond

Enjoyed listening to it very much!!

I did note (with a bit of amusement I must admit) that he called the shifted keyboard of the 41C "a bit busy". Hmmmm...wonder if he's ever seen a triple shifted 67, or a 34C ?

Have a great 2007 everybody!

Best regards, Hal

Quote:
He got it all mostly right, too.

although he obviously still doesn't realize how much it can do!

wilsonmineszdslextremezcom (replace the z's with @ and . )

Lovely!

recalling the days of radio, records and real calcs

Dear all
has anybody got this file in another format than MP3 but still playable on a PC? They locked the download of MP3 files here. Cheers in advance and a happy 2007 to you all. Stephan

Hi there!

Glad that folks enjoyed the podcast! It was a lot of fun putting an episode together on the 41C - it was the first programmable device I ever owned, and it's near and dear to me.

Garth: I'm sure you're right, I've only scratched the surface of what the 41C can do. Goodness, I never even owned a mag card reader (was a starving student back in day). But given the resources on the Internet these days, it'll be fun to learn much more about the 41C as time goes on. One of these days when my piggy bank is full, I'll spring for a wand...

Hal: I never have seen a 67 or a 34C, but since you mentioned it, I went out and looked at photos. You're right, the keyboard can get even busier than a 41! Actually, I like the multi-functions of the keys, and when I used to write my own programs (for fun) on the 41C, I found it quite usable.

Chat with you all soon, and Happy New Year...

- Earl

Quote:
Garth: I'm sure you're right, I've only scratched the surface of what the 41C can do.
My work story is at http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/memories.cgi?read=224 . Before I got mine, I was introduced to the 41's ability to control a production test set-up by a friend. Another engineer at the same plant used his to predict junction-to-case thermal resistances of the transistors we might make for potential clients. His program sliced a die and the brazing and BeO and copper into thousands of layers and figured out how the heat was spread, three-dimensionally. It ran for many hours, but he was able to do it on a cross-country flight or in his hotel room as he traveled to see various clients. To be able to take that kind of capability with you without it taking much room in the attache case in 1984 was impressive.

Quote:
Goodness, I never even owned a mag card reader (was a starving student back in day). But given the resources on the Internet these days, it'll be fun to learn much more about the 41C as time goes on. One of these days when my piggy bank is full, I'll spring for a wand...
The neat thing about the wand was that at users' group meetings, programs could quickly be distributed almost free of charge with just a trip to the photocopier. The inteligent, file-oriented, high-speed digital microcassette drive was much more practical in every way except size though.

Edited: 18 Jan 2007, 2:50 p.m.