Opening HP67: you suggest?

Hello,

I'm the lucky owner of three HP67s but none of them have a functional card reader. By the way, one of them don't even work without the power supply attached.

As collectors yourself, do you suggest I find a way to peel the back label, taking as much time as possible ordo you consider it acceptable that I hole the label with the screwdriver so that I directly access the screws with less effort?

As you can imagine, I'm quite lazy...

Thanks for advice,
Olivier

Hi. Try here for the hair dryer trick for removing the back label: Hair Dryer Trick Try this link for general tips on opening a 67 (The 65 is the same) Opening a 67

Thanks Alan

Any other trick is welcome...

Do NOT attempt to remove the whole label. You are guaranteed a wrinkly mess. Just peel back the top two corners about 1/2" to expose the screws. I use a razor blade dipped in heptane (it causes adhesives to temporaily forget to stick) and place a drop of heptane on each corner. If you are careful and do not bend the label sharply, you can get the corners back down with hardly a trace.

After servicing the machine do not replace the screws under the label. That way you do not risk any more damage to the label the next time you work on it. You may need to use some glue to restick the corners down. I clean the old adhesive off the label with alcohol and use a neoprene based contact cement.

I'll have to find all these chemicals here in Paris. Given the security procedures running these days here (for reasons you surely know), we can't even buy white spirit in warehouses...

I'll try anyway.

Is there a common household name for heptane? Could I go to my local drugstore and ask for a litre of it, or is it more exotic than that? I have been looking for a cleaner/solvent that won't destroy the plastic of the calculator itself.

Three!!!

I actually felt guilty for sniping that 14B from you, until I learned you already have one. (Mine just arrived, actually, and my ambivalence is resolved--gorgeous little machine in great shape!!!) No, I hear you have THREE 67s, and I am scrambling to get at my first one!

Lucky devil.... :)

I have both a 41CV and 41CX, and I thought the duplication there was a bit extravagant of me ;)

As for opening a Classic series unit, I got it into my head that I may want to open my 45 to do a little cleaning and improve key reliability--the old girl is a little fussy in the top row. When confronted with the label, I chickened out. As a matter of fact, I crinkled one of the once pristine 34 year old corners, and I felt sad. So I will leave it be and live with the sticky keys until it needs a Dr. Randy tune up.

Best to you, lucky guy--

Les

Quote:
Three!!!

I actually felt guilty for sniping that 14B from you, until I learned you already have one. (Mine just arrived, actually, and my ambivalence is resolved--gorgeous little machine in great shape!!!) No, I hear you have THREE 67s, and I am scrambling to get at my first one!

Lucky devil.... :)

I have both a 41CV and 41CX, and I thought the duplication there was a bit extravagant of me ;)

Well, in fact, I'm the perfect model for psychiatrist and for the avid eBay seller: unable to resist temptation, eager to have the widest collection, et al...

The problem is: my credit card is now called "my credit crack"!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP67 eBay auction Cristian Arezzini 3 2,060 12-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Raymond Del Tondo
  HP67/97 M.E. Pac cover Ignacio Sánchez 2 1,442 11-22-2013, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Ignacio Sánchez Reig
  opening hp 15c for repair FORTIN Pascal 4 1,956 10-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Last Post: FORTIN Pascal
  HP67 motor in HP65 card reader - too slow Harald 4 2,034 05-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Dave Shaffer (Arizona)
  opening HP 30B Harald 6 2,114 02-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany