Price !!!!

Because it costs so expensive? 

Ebay Link

Hi, Gileno:

Can't enter that eBay link right now (#@#€@ proxy!!) but let me offer you just a little linguistic band-aid, to help refine your English:

Gileno said:

"Because it costs so expensive ?"
where he probably means:
    "Why is it so expensive ?"
This is not intended as a criticism to Gileno nor to help readers make sense of his post (I'm sure all of you understood the correct meaning), it's just intended to help Gileno see how correct English sentences are constructed, so he may be able to improve them with time.

Best regards from V.

There seem to be two people who both really, REALLY want to have this X-memory module. Thus ending over $100 for the moment.

Modern version of the prisoner's dilemma?

You excuse I don't know how to write English! :-(

There seem to be two people who both really, REALLY want to have this X-memory module.

And why not? After having coughed up $500 for a nice 41CX, what's another couple hundred to get the absolute maximum memory space...

I'm so glad I'm not a collector. ;-)

It is POSSIBLE that the highest bidder interpreted the auction as including a calculator. I sell on Amazon calculators and I tell you that a lot of people DO NOT READ the seller's comments.

Just my own perception.

Namir

I got really soaked for my 42s (so impatient I was to have one), but, as a consolation, I got a CX with Advantage Pac module and all manuals for well under $300 just a few days later.

I have no clue (yet) how to access the X memory intrinsic to the CX. I have not idea what I would do with another module....

Les

For the maximum amount of memory in the HP-41 system, you'd need the HP-41CX which has 126 registers of extended memory, plus two X-Memory modules adding 238 registers each.

Since each register is seven bytes long, each X-Memory module adds a whopping 1666 bytes of memory! The HP42S with its 8 kbytes of RAM is huge in comparison with the maximum memory of the HP-41CX with two X-Memory modules.

So this auction will cost someone more than $100 for 1666 bytes!

I dug out my old HP-41CX which I haven't used for many years. In addition to the internal TIME and EXTENDED FUNCTIONS modules, I had long ago installed an X-Memory module, a MATH/STAT module, a THERMAL module, and one of my favorites, the IR PRINTER module.

I found the N-cells to be deader than a hammer, so I assumed that I'd lost all the programming I had put in place long ago. I removed the dead N-cells, but it was several days before I got new cells. Guess what? When I powered up the HP-41CX, the ONLY things I'd lost were the date, time, and associated format settings. It was still in USER mode with all the key assignments still intact, and my 400-step Runge-Kutta program for numerical solution of O.D.E.s worked perfectly. Apparently some stuff is preserved much longer than the "short time" promised in the manual when power is removed.

There's still a lot to like about the HP-41CX.

Mike / Alabama

I have no clue (yet) how to access the X memory intrinsic to the CX.

Fortunately, you do have the HP Museum CDs; the Extended Functions / Memory Module manual will get you started. The CX has some extra functionality compared to the X-Fcn/Mem module, for which you'll need the HP-41CX manual or the CX Extended Functions manual (I'm not sure what that second book was called exactly; early 41CX's did not come with the HP-41CX manual, but with the HP-41C/CV manual plus the Extended Functions/Memory and Time module manuals, and a small booklet that covered the functionality specific to the CX).

Depending on what you want to do, the non-orthogonality of the 41CX memory structure can be a pain or a very nice feature. When I started implementing a matrix manipulation package, it was very convenient to be able to store matrices in data files. (And then the 28S came along and killed the motivation for the entire project. So it goes!)

- Thomas

Hi, Thomas;

Quote:
When I started implementing a matrix manipulation package, it was very convenient to be able to store matrices in data files. (And then the 28S came along and killed the motivation for the entire project. So it goes!)
Unusual coincidence, another subject in my particular case. It happened in the last semester of 1989 when I was studying at the University (Electrical Engineeering) and I had to write a program in FORTRAN (yeap! 1989, folks!) to solve off-line load flow computations. I had the idea to work with an HP41CX (no X-memory modules, no ROM modules at all) and after a couple of weeks working 24/6 (God bless the Sunday...), I had the main user interface, matrix data handling routines and complex arithmetic fully operational in a user-definable, up to 7X7 complex matrix in X-memory and using almost 1/4 of main memory to hold the program WHEN I got the chance to put my hands in an HP42S (still with me, 32KRAM now). I ported part of the original structure of the original program, finished it and ran it in the teacher's desk, instant output through an 82240A. "Better than the need of a mainframe running Fortran, don't you think?", I said. My first and only 10 (A+) in all of my Engineering course.

Some years ago I found one of the printings of this program, with a lot of correction notes. IIRC, this printing is one of the final ones before the definitive version, retained by the teacher. Must get back to it, correct it, test it and make it public...

Cheers.

Quote:
... and I had to write a program in FORTRAN (yeap! 1989, folks!)

I was programming in Fortran in my previous job 2000 I think.

- Pauli

A little patience could get one for $25 or so. Same thing with the idots buying PS3 games consoles on Ebay (but the price is heading down semi-exponetnially).

Don't worry about it, as far as I can tell this is not a board on proper use of the English language. As long as you make yourself understood you should be okay.

Main reason for the price is Human Nature. When you can't have something is when you want it most and you are willing to pay (almost) anything to get it. (I am an Engineer not a Psychologist but I guess it is our ego speaking and saying "look what I have and you don't"). Prices on these items are not what they are worth but what you are willing to pay. If they are so valuable, why do you think HP has not started production of old models? Simply because they would lose money, they are old technology and very few would buy them (it would be interesting to see how many of those that signed up to bring back the old HP 15C would actually buy them if they were in large supply). Just think about it, if RCA would start production of there old made in the USA black and white TV would you buy it or would you buy a Panasonic/Sony/etc. (made overseas) HDTV?

Regards, Thor.

Best regards from G. :-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reasonable price for a 41C, Quad Mem, Time, Navigation and Card reader module? Eelco Rouw 10 4,633 12-12-2013, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Eelco Rouw
  Very low Price of HP Prime? Harold A Climer 14 3,900 10-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Frank Boehm (Germany)
  PPC ROM Price Fouad M. Kaadou 7 2,237 05-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Dave Shaffer (Arizona)
  Good deal : HP 12c Platinum for half-price Mic 1 1,387 01-21-2013, 03:51 AM
Last Post: Vincent Guilbault
  HP-10BII+ Price calculation bug? Thomas Radtke 0 935 02-15-2012, 06:53 AM
Last Post: Thomas Radtke
  HP15C LE Price Lowered by HP Namir 23 5,364 02-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Andreas Grund
  HP joins the price gougers Michael de Estrada 38 9,170 02-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Martin Pinckney
  A new record price for an HP 15c LE Michael de Estrada 3 1,419 11-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Rob Willett
  Re: HP 15C LE at buy.com price skyrockets! Jim Johnson 2 1,111 09-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Last Post: Masaki Adachi
  Samson price drop Ethan Conner 1 897 09-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Thomas Radtke