HP6S

As a shirt-pocket calculator, the HP-6S has served me well for the last several years. I have two different units, one that I use all
the time and the other as a spare. I found that on the daily-use unit when the battery died after about 3 years, I was able to easily insert a more powerful battery, the LR-44, which is about twice as thick as the called-for LR-43. The back fits nicely with the larger battery and I have had no problems with the original unit other than the more frequently used keys have the labeling on the face worn almost off.

The second unit's battery died recently and I noticed that it had a different style battery compartment so that a LR-44 would not fit. But seeing that this was a disposable calculator anyway, and since I had a supply of LR-44 bateries and no LR-43 batteries, I broke off the top plastic retaining pieces and depended on the extra thickness of the battery to hold it in position. Works fine.

Note: The solar cell alone provides insufficient power to operate the display unless the solar panel is very close to a bright light, such as a desk-top lamp.

What I would really like to see is an inexpensive HP calculator with RPN that would readily fit in a shirt pocket. The HP-33S is too large for this. About the largest form factor in a currently manufactured HP that would meet my wishes is the HP-10BII.

I know that various people have wished for a return of the HP-15C, but that is more power than I need. About the only thing that the 6S does not have, other than not being RPN, that I would like is the ability to handle two variable statistics.

1234 to Delete

You might consider an Hp17bii or an Hp12c (of course THEY are much higher priced!) as they are smaller than an Hp33s. Actually the HP17Bii+ is probably the same body as the Hp10Bii that you looked at.

If you are looking for a cheeeeeaaap RPN, I don't know of any such animal other than the Hp 33s (which I too feel is a bit large) and maybe a used Hp12c.

However, it sounds like you need the trig functions. Casio makes and Fx 250 which is about the same size as the now discontinued Hp 6s calculataors.

Quote:
The second unit's battery died recently and I noticed that it had a different style battery compartment so that a LR-44 would not fit. But seeing that this was a disposable calculator anyway, ...

Note: The solar cell alone provides insufficient power to operate the display unless the solar panel is very close to a bright light, such as a desk-top lamp.

The dying-battery issue is an aspect of corner-cutting engineering, I think. The HP-6S never turns off, and has no power switch. The solar cell and LR43 cell are wired in series-opposing. So, when the calc is in the dark, its LR43 cell is discharging to keep the display going.

Of course, the user can choose not to replace the LR43 cell, and s/he will have a traditional solar-powered calc that works only in good light. Or, the resourceful user can do as you suggested: to modify it for use with the larger 13/44/76/357 cell.

The issue isn't really the shortened life span of the cell; it's the taking time to go to an electronics store to get the special cell, and to remove and reinstall four small screws with a precision screwdriver. Those of us who have Voyager-series and Pioneer-series calc's know how long the thick button cells can last without leakage if not being constantly discharged.

-- KS

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best you can do with a HP6S Marx Pio 14 3,188 02-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Norris
  HP6S Programmable... at e-bay! d8-D Vieira, Luiz C. (Brazil) 0 694 10-31-2004, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Vieira, Luiz C. (Brazil)
  HP6S Bert K 0 853 04-03-1999, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Bert K.